Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Installed Steeda CAI/BAMA 93 Perf tune...

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/15, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed Steeda CAI/BAMA 93 Perf tune...

Everything arrived today (ordered from AM last Thursday), so naturally I had to install tonight.

I'm glad I waited for the Steeda CAI to come back in stock. Its a really nice piece, and it retains the stock lower duct to pull cool air from the front of the car. Also, I really wanted a blue filter to match my blue coil covers (I might look for some blue silicone connectors to replace the black ones that come with the kit at some point). The install is really pretty easy & straightforward. There were two screws missing from the kit (only had 2 of the 4 screws that attach the pipe to the housing- had all 4 washers though)- fortunately I had two other screws that fit perfectly in my collection of spares.

Installing the BAMA tune was pretty easy as well (although I was surprised there are no included instructions- you have to go the SCT site). The directions didn't mention returning to stock tune, so I didn't and everything went smoothly. I'm coming from the Ford Racing Procal tune, and I did notice a few differences:
1. Launches feel a bit stouter (broke the rear loose going into 2nd on a straight, dry road- didn't do that very often with the Procal).
2. My Boss Quad exhaust (pre-muffler side pipes) are definitely "deeper."
3. You can just hear the intake whistling a bit (hard to hear over the exhaust ). I deleted the sound tube long ago, but I have to wonder what it would sound like with the Steeda.
4. I think (hope) this tune might have resolved the idle issue I've had for some time... occasionally, when depressing the clutch the idle would drop too far, flutter, and stall. It seems the idle is better controlled by the BAMA tune.
5. It sure seems as if the car is able to zip up through the RPMs a lot faster now. I don't know if that's a function of the Steeda or the tune, but I merged on the highway and was doing 90 before I realized it.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the CAI/tune package- and am looking forward to the arrival of my SHR louvers (the ones that replace the rear quarter window) on Thursday... might have to wait till the weekend to install those though.
Attached Thumbnails Installed Steeda CAI/BAMA 93 Perf tune...-cai-installed.jpg  
Old 4/21/15, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks great!
Did you ever run your car in the 1/4 or 1/8 mile with your old tune?
Just wondering what real numbers you gained!
Glade your happy with it!
Old 4/21/15, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Never been to a track to run 1/4 or 1/8 mile times... However, I have data stored in my "track apps" for 0-60 and acceleration Gs and will make some runs to see if there's any difference. Will report back once I have a chance to head over to my "safe spot" (the humongous parking lot around Texas Motor Speedway ).
Old 4/21/15, 11:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice!
Old 4/22/15, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us know how it performs after a few "runs" and "tests". Looking into buying tuner and tunes myself. Even though gas quality and octane levels suck horribly in SW Oklahoma. :'( Be interested to hear your opinion after more wheel time.
Old 4/22/15, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Varilux
Everything arrived today (ordered from AM last Thursday), so naturally I had to install tonight.

I'm glad I waited for the Steeda CAI to come back in stock. Its a really nice piece, and it retains the stock lower duct to pull cool air from the front of the car. Also, I really wanted a blue filter to match my blue coil covers (I might look for some blue silicone connectors to replace the black ones that come with the kit at some point). The install is really pretty easy & straightforward. There were two screws missing from the kit (only had 2 of the 4 screws that attach the pipe to the housing- had all 4 washers though)- fortunately I had two other screws that fit perfectly in my collection of spares.

Installing the BAMA tune was pretty easy as well (although I was surprised there are no included instructions- you have to go the SCT site). The directions didn't mention returning to stock tune, so I didn't and everything went smoothly. I'm coming from the Ford Racing Procal tune, and I did notice a few differences:
1. Launches feel a bit stouter (broke the rear loose going into 2nd on a straight, dry road- didn't do that very often with the Procal).
2. My Boss Quad exhaust (pre-muffler side pipes) are definitely "deeper."
3. You can just hear the intake whistling a bit (hard to hear over the exhaust ). I deleted the sound tube long ago, but I have to wonder what it would sound like with the Steeda.
4. I think (hope) this tune might have resolved the idle issue I've had for some time... occasionally, when depressing the clutch the idle would drop too far, flutter, and stall. It seems the idle is better controlled by the BAMA tune.
5. It sure seems as if the car is able to zip up through the RPMs a lot faster now. I don't know if that's a function of the Steeda or the tune, but I merged on the highway and was doing 90 before I realized it.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the CAI/tune package- and am looking forward to the arrival of my SHR louvers (the ones that replace the rear quarter window) on Thursday... might have to wait till the weekend to install those though.

Hey Varilux,

Thank you for taking the time to post this up and I'm stoked that you are loving the intake/tune.

You definitely went with some great parts and I am glad that you are more than pleased.

If you ever need anything, please feel free to reach out!

We appreciate the business and support.

-Will
Old 4/22/15, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Good stuff, looks really good and I'm glad you feel the performance difference right away.

Do you know what RPM the redline (fuel cut-off rather) is at with the Bama tune? I've been contemplating Steeda CAI myself. I think the Steeda tune raises the fuel cut off from 6800 to 7100rpm. I'm curious what Bama does.
Old 4/22/15, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are a number of fields that show up on the tuner device right before you proceed with loading the tune. I glanced at them and noticed the red-line is set to 7,000rpm for all fields (also noticed the speed limiter is set to "off" ).

I did notice that the mpg display went up over 1mpg... we'll have to see if that trend continues.
Old 4/23/15, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did you get the new V2 tune
Old 4/23/15, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Good stuff, looks really good and I'm glad you feel the performance difference right away.

Do you know what RPM the redline (fuel cut-off rather) is at with the Bama tune? I've been contemplating Steeda CAI myself. I think the Steeda tune raises the fuel cut off from 6800 to 7100rpm. I'm curious what Bama does.
Hey 5.,

In most cases, the Bama team will set the red-line around 7000k but that can be adjusted how you want it with the touch of a button or a phone call to the Bama guys! Whatever you like, they will provide! You will love a Bama tune and I would be more than happy to help you along the way!

I'm just a PM away.

-Will
Old 4/23/15, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor

There are a number of fields that show up on the tuner device right before you proceed with loading the tune. I glanced at them and noticed the red-line is set to 7,000rpm for all fields (also noticed the speed limiter is set to "off" ).

I did notice that the mpg display went up over 1mpg... we'll have to see if that trend continues.
Hey Varilux,

I'm glad you are loving the tune and it's always good to see your MPG go up along with the power!

If you ever need anything, please let me know. I'm here to help!

-Will
Old 4/23/15, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you get the new V2 tune?

I read about the new V2 tunes in another thread a while back. My understanding (from a question I posted) is BAMA is currently loading the V2 tunes to all the new tuners they program (so my assumption is I have the V2 tune, since my SCT/X4 was programmed last week).
Old 4/23/15, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor

Did you get the new V2 tune?

I read about the new V2 tunes in another thread a while back. My understanding (from a question I posted) is BAMA is currently loading the V2 tunes to all the new tuners they program (so my assumption is I have the V2 tune, since my SCT/X4 was programmed last week).
You are correct Vari,

All new tunes being sent out for the 2005+ are the V2!

Hope this helps and let me know if anyone has any questions.

-Will
Old 4/23/15, 05:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
The redline bump makes me want to tune the car... need to hold out until warranty is up...

Another 500 RPM would do wonders for me at the local tracks

Anyways, enjoy the setup! Sounds very nice
Old 4/23/15, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Let me know if I can help assist with a nice Steeda CAI & a Steeda tune ... both tremendous add ons to any Mustang!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-manual-...pack-555-3935/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/23/15, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
who does the tunes for Steeda?
Old 4/24/15, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
The redline bump makes me want to tune the car... need to hold out until warranty is up...

The only think to look lout for is the oil pump gears. Unless you go through the trouble of adding billet steel gears, I don't think I'd push it much past 7200 or so. There are some threads on this forum in regards to oil pump failures at high RPM. And for you and I the car would be over 7000rpm for for quite a while during a track weekend.
Old 4/24/15, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmichaels

I completely understand d,

Although dealers are getting much more lenient when it comes to tuning in recent times, if you are looking to keep your warranty, sometimes it is best to hold off.

If you ever had any questions, or if you are ready to get tuned, please feel free to reach out!

-Will
Old 4/24/15, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
who does the tunes for Steeda?
We have several tuners that handle the tunes for Steeda. Matt H. & James G. You can read about them at the bottom of our home page:

For example, here is James's Bio:

James has over 15 years of experience professionally tuning Fords - mainly the Mustang, Focus, Fusion and F-series. He was previously employed by SCT and trained many of their top tuners! James takes pride in providing quality, conservative tunes that you will feel confident in loading onto your daily driver. Reliability while providing tremendous gains are at the core of our tuning values.
Best Regards,

TJ