5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Installed my Hurst Billet short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/12, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my Hurst Billet short shifter

So, installation was almost complete. We were just tightening down the bolts and wrapping it up in less than an hour. Then my buddy whom I bought the shifter from, over tightens the front/left bolt and breaks off the head inside its hole. My good friend that was assisting during this ordeal, who is a fantastic mechanic, says it's no big deal. We just need to run and grab his drill, an extractor and a new bolt. Well, the extraction was a complete fail. I am now looking at having to have my transmission dropped and having it extracted and retapped professionally. Well, I call my buddy who sold me the shifter and was subsequently responsible and who bowed out during this crisis. I tell him that we need to figure something out. I dang sure wasn't gonna foot the bill for this mistake that was due to a rushed job. He panics for a minute and then his brain finally catches up to him and he remembers that he is an electrician by trade. He goes and grabs a tapping set from Home Depot (this takes about an hour) and finally shows up at 9:15 to fix this mess. It took him ten minutes to retap it and drop a new bolt. 4 and a half hours and all of my chewed off finger nails later, the shifter is installed. It runs great and shifts like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails Installed my Hurst Billet short shifter-image-2295398313.jpg  
Old 9/20/12, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How is it under very fast ,high rpm shifts?,if you got that far?
Old 9/21/12, 07:01 AM
GT Member

After that whole fiasco last night, I was just exhausted and didn't have the energy for a truly spirited drive. But I can tell you that it does grab gears a lot better. Hopefully I'll be able to take her out for a nice, hard ride sometime today or tomorrow.
Old 9/21/12, 07:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0
I tell him that we need to figure something out. I dang sure wasn't gonna foot the bill for this mistake that was due to a rushed job. .
Were you paying him to do the job? If not, that's a bit harsh!

Glad you got it sorted. I have a Hurst shifter on my '05 and it's great
Old 9/21/12, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Were you paying him to do the job? If not, that's a bit harsh!

Glad you got it sorted. I have a Hurst shifter on my '05 and it's great
I paid him for the part and asked him to slow down because a mistake was bound to happen. He dismissed my concerns and barked at me that he knew what he was doing, that he'd seen it done a lot of times and installed his without a problem. He was saying this as he twisted off the head of the bolt. It was a mistake, I understand that and I may have been a little on the harsh side. But, in the heat of the moment I was doing my best not to panic and, more importantly, not to be sick. But, he was a standup guy who came out and fixed the problem. Safe to say that there were no hard feelings.
Old 9/21/12, 07:50 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
This is why I do it myself. I'm the only one to blame and I do take my sweet time.
Old 9/21/12, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Normally I would agree with you but it was coming out of one car and into another. The previous owner was in a terrible rush because he wanted to get his car in to trade it for a truck.

Last edited by Defiant 5.0; 9/21/12 at 09:26 AM.