Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

I need tires

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/12, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need tires

So my stock dealer tires suck what good tires r good for my stang out there plus I need better traction need help
I have full exhaust intake n tuner so need traction now to much power for stock tires
Old 12/21/12, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I also am ready for tires.I have the brand and now i,m deciding to go a little wider.I have a 2012 GT premium with Brembo.s,6mt.I havnt decide yet to go with the stock size 255 40 19 or 275 40,s.Anyone out there gone this route and do you suggest staying with the stock size or will the 275,s be the better way to go?Any drawbacks with going with the wider tire all around.I know 285 35,s will fit,but i dont want to go that way,275 is the widest i,ll go on the stock brembo wheels.
Old 12/21/12, 02:23 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
275/40 will be just a little taller and slightly wider. 285/35 will be your best bet.
Old 12/21/12, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

nitto drag radials at that
Old 12/21/12, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by yankee5.0
So my stock dealer tires suck what good tires r good for my stang out there plus I need better traction need help
I have full exhaust intake n tuner so need traction now to much power for stock tires
English class first?
Old 12/21/12, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by socalfam
English class first?
notbeinga****classbeforepostingfirst??

Last edited by Glenn; 12/21/12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12/21/12, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

here's an old tire test but I am sure still holds true
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

I went with number 2 on the list.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Old 12/22/12, 06:07 AM
GT Member

Ive had so many issues with traction with mine. I smoked through the original pirelli's in about 10k miles. I then upgraded to the same p-zero but in 275 for the rear. Those are gone now too. I do like my stock brembo wheels but i think it's time for a wider wheel/tire combo to combat this hook issue (and to hopefully save me money blasting through tires!)
Old 12/22/12, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JerseyGT
Ive had so many issues with traction with mine. I smoked through the original pirelli's in about 10k miles. I then upgraded to the same p-zero but in 275 for the rear. Those are gone now too. I do like my stock brembo wheels but i think it's time for a wider wheel/tire combo to combat this hook issue (and to hopefully save me money blasting through tires!)
Get away from Pirelli. Nitto 555 is a good all around tire that lasts a while. Toyo proxe is my choice. Stay away from Falcon, Khumo, and Hankook. I'm sure ill get a response from the cheap tire buyers now. Lol.
Old 12/22/12, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have to agree with the stay away from the falcon and khumo's but I am a fan of the hankook brand I have them on my stang and my old lexus and have been pretty happy with them. I have had khumo's and did not like them, they seemed to wear quickly and not handle as well as other brands.
Old 12/22/12, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I have to agree with the stay away from the falcon and khumo's but I am a fan of the hankook brand I have them on my stang and my old lexus and have been pretty happy with them. I have had khumo's and did not like them, they seemed to wear quickly and not handle as well as other brands.
Hankook seem to last. Just the performance part of them is lacking. Good for everyday I guess for the price but I personally would spend a few extra bucks and notice the difference. I'm only going by my experience I had working for quite a few tire dealers and trying many different brands myself. I kinda have an slight obsession with tires. I usually buy the best quality tires that I can justify paying for. I would run Michelin on all may vehicles but I just can't justify that much more money. Toyo is probably second best.
Old 12/22/12, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I,ve decided on BFG G Force Sport Comp 2,cant decide on size yet.from what the tire rack,mavis tire,tire discount etc. have told me is that 275 40 will rub the front and 285 35 will not fit the stock brembo 9 inch wheel.just the opposite of what some members claim.Looks like i,m going to go with the stock 255 40.s to avoid all the bull****!!!Still a lot of meat on the fronts at 9500 miles, but the rears are shot ( ofcourse).
Old 12/22/12, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Get away from Pirelli. Nitto 555 is a good all around tire that lasts a while. Toyo proxe is my choice. Stay away from Falcon, Khumo, and Hankook. I'm sure ill get a response from the cheap tire buyers now. Lol.
Al--you think I should go for a wider rim/tire combo or possibly just try Nittos all around? Or possibly 275 drag radials out back? And BTW--I love my brembo rims...

And sorry to hijack this OP!
Old 12/22/12, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JerseyGT

Al--you think I should go for a wider rim/tire combo or possibly just try Nittos all around? Or possibly 275 drag radials out back? And BTW--I love my brembo rims...

And sorry to hijack this OP!
I always go wider than stock. Stock mustang tire sizes have always been too narrow. It makes sense so there is better traction in the rain. It's up to you. If you use your car in weather then stay away from drag radials. My Nitto drags have about 9000 miles on them. Time for new ones. That's really all I can expect. If you track your car much they will last even less. If you're replacing the wheels, just go 10" wheels and 305's out back.

If its an every day driver and you're gonna be in rain, watch how wide you go and also find a tire that does well in weather. Toyo Proxes are hard to beat in weather even the wide sizes.
Old 12/22/12, 11:22 AM
GT Member

I always go wider than stock. Stock mustang tire sizes have always been too narrow. It makes sense so there is better traction in the rain. It's up to you. If you use your car in weather then stay away from drag radials. My Nitto drags have about 9000 miles on them. Time for new ones. That's really all I can expect. If you track your car much they will last even less. If you're replacing the wheels, just go 10" wheels and 305's out back.

If its an every day driver and you're gonna be in rain, watch how wide you go and also find a tire that does well in weather. Toyo Proxes are hard to beat in weather even the wide sizes.
Makes sense...looks like I've got some thinking to do. Thanks
Old 12/22/12, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hankook seem to last. Just the performance part of them is lacking. Good for everyday I guess for the price but I personally would spend a few extra bucks and notice the difference. I'm only going by my experience I had working for quite a few tire dealers and trying many different brands myself. I kinda have an slight obsession with tires. I usually buy the best quality tires that I can justify paying for. I would run Michelin on all may vehicles but I just can't justify that much more money. Toyo is probably second best.
AlsCobra -

Curious why you like Toyo Proxes. I am looking at them for a new set of tires....never had them... but want something a bit more sticky than my Neros. New wheels will be wearing 245/45 F and 275/40 R. Probably summer rubber, but maybe all-season if sticky enough.

Looking for handling, reliability and reasonable comfort/low noise and fair price.

Thanks,
TS
Old 12/22/12, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tetstang

AlsCobra -

Curious why you like Toyo Proxes. I am looking at them for a new set of tires....never had them... but want something a bit more sticky than my Neros. New wheels will be wearing 245/45 F and 275/40 R. Probably summer rubber, but maybe all-season if sticky enough.

Looking for handling, reliability and reasonable comfort/low noise and fair price.

Thanks,
TS
Like I said, I've tried just about all brands or at least had experience with them. Once I tried Toyo I was hooked on the brand. Handling is fantastic. Wet weather is really what sold me. I'm running 285/35 on my truck and nothing compares to them in water. Nothing exceptional in how long they last compared to some other comparable brands but definitely not any worse. Next set on the stang will be Toyo also. Nitto on it right now and no complaints but Toyo will be even better I'm sure of.
Old 12/22/12, 12:43 PM

If it helps any, my best friend owns a tire shop which is mainly a Brigestone Firestone retailer but also sells most brands. He spends more money on Toyo for his personal vehicles even though he can get Brigestone on them for much cheaper.
Old 12/23/12, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the price the Khumo ecsta le sports look like a pretty good tire from the reviews i have read.Anyone know anybody using them?
Old 12/23/12, 11:48 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn;6514946[URL
---
Thanks for posting this calculator, Glenn. Useful tool.
OP - I've had two sets of Continental Extreme Contact DW Max Summer. Love the performance, and the price is pretty good, too.
First (original) wheel/tire combo was 19x8.5 with 255/40 all around.
Second (and current) wheel/tire combo is 19x9 with 255/40 Front, and 19x10 with 285/35 Rear. I track with these street tires, and although they howl when pushed hard, they work great. I'm considering moving up to 265/40 and 295/35 for my next set, just to get an extra half-inch at each corner.

Quick Reply: I need tires