Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

I got my 11's last night with my 3.31 car.

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/12, 07:26 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by db2797
The Nitto's are absolutely fine in the rain. I've never once had even a hint of them losing traction. I have the NT555's all the way around my car. So there is no mismatch on the tires.

And yes, they are actually rated very well for wet performance.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555#size

I'm assuming you've never really driven with a very streetable drag radial like these? These aren't slicks. It's a myth that all drag radials are dangerous.
I thought we were discussing drag radials - your link goes to their summer performance tire which does provide better wet performance over the DRs.
Go here for their drag radial.
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r
My argument was against using DRs as a DD specifically in the rain. Mismatching front and rear tires will impact stability and braking and is the reason all major tire manufacturers suggest that their winter tires be used in sets of four. In addition and more importantly, DRs wear much faster than regular tires so it's quite probable you will be at their wet traction limits sooner than you realize. Based on the tread design I would guess that DRs are more susceptible to hydroplaning especially on standing water. There was a thread (probably more than one) in one of the mustang forums detailing a low speed accident which the writer felt was caused by the use of DRs in the rain. It stuck in my mind and that's why I jumped in here. For me I'd rather use a high performance summer tire and give up a little traction then take a chance with DRs.
Here's an excellent link on Drag Radials
http://tinyurl.com/bxt7a2z
If you search thru the article they address the points I've made concerning wet weather and mixing tires. They do state the 555R is good for about 10,000 miles which was a surprise to me although I don't know at what point performance would suffer. To answer your last statement - I've never driven drag radials on the street - never saw the point. That doesn't negate what I've said - you don't need to get hit in the head with a hammer to know it hurts.
Old 11/15/12, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes drag radials can have less traction in the rain. But you control that by driving like you have some sense. I run 275/40/18 NT555 on the front and have 305/35/18 NT555R on the rear on the 98 cobra and my 2012Gt. Don't have any traction or stability issues. Yes when it is 45 or below if I hit the throttle the rears lose traction. I have run drag radials on the rear of every mustang I've owned. The person that blamed the accident on the tires probably couldn't drive. The 245/45/19 all seasons that came on my car were not any better in the rain and offered much less tread on the road. I average anywhere between 12,000 to 15,000 on the drag radials. And switch back to the stock set up for winters.
Old 11/15/12, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Run MT drag radials in the rain and I promise you'll end up in a ditch. Nittos(DRs) on the other hand can be driven in the rain. Mickey Thompson's are sick at the track but never drive them on wet roads or you'll be sorry. I know this first hand and it has nothing to do with my driving ability, I promise.
Old 11/15/12, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Run MT drag radials in the rain and I promise you'll end up in a ditch. Nittos(DRs) on the other hand can be driven in the rain. Mickey Thompson's are sick at the track but never drive them on wet roads or you'll be sorry. I know this first hand and it has nothing to do with my driving ability, I promise.
Ah, I drove a 06 (6.0) GTO on ET streets in a rain storm, granted I wasn't driving like Ken Block but it isn't impossible.
Old 11/15/12, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
I thought we were discussing drag radials - your link goes to their summer performance tire which does provide better wet performance over the DRs.
Go here for their drag radial.
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r
My argument was against using DRs as a DD specifically in the rain.
I mistakenly posted the wrong link. Yes I'm referring to DR's. The point is that Nitto's are not bad on rain. At worst, they are average. And I'm sorry...but anybody crashing their car on DR's like the Nitto's or running on worn tires only has themselves to blame. I don't drive like a maniac in the rain. I had a Hyundai Elantra about 10 years ago. You want to talk about a horrible car in the rain? That car was more likely to hydroplane with all season tires than my Mustang with Nitto DR's. Basically I don't agree that driving on safe streetable DR's is an accident waiting to happen if a person uses the same care in driving they'd normally use in hazardous conditions. I never rely on my tires to save my *** in these conditions no matter what they are designed for. I just consider that responsible driving.
Old 11/15/12, 03:24 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by db2797
I mistakenly posted the wrong link. Yes I'm referring to DR's. The point is that Nitto's are not bad on rain. At worst, they are average. And I'm sorry...but anybody crashing their car on DR's like the Nitto's or running on worn tires only has themselves to blame.
Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. Accidents happen thru events beyond our control, that's why they're called "accidents". If I'm cut off by an a-hole or a kid jumps in front of my car I'd like to know I have a better than average tire. And if I have to stop short in the rain I'd feel better knowing whoever is driving behind me is wearing something other than DRs. But that's me. I defer to your excellent driving skills and your mastery of the environment you drive in. We should all strive to be that good. My initial comment was not to start an argument. I think that DRs are fine for limited driving to and from the track. I don't see the point in using them as a DD but again, that's my opinion.
Drive safe.

Last edited by Len; 11/15/12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11/16/12, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. Accidents happen thru events beyond our control, that's why they're called "accidents". If I'm cut off by an a-hole or a kid jumps in front of my car I'd like to know I have a better than average tire. And if I have to stop short in the rain I'd feel better knowing whoever is driving behind me is wearing something other than DRs.
Drive safe.
I'm referring to blaming an accident on DR's...not a legitimate accident. And again, if you are following somebody close enough that you can't stop on DR's, then you are following too closely flat out. DR's wont' be the reason for the crash. It will be because of aggressive driving.
Old 11/20/12, 09:26 AM
GT Member

HOLY CRAP are we actually arguing over running slicks or DRs at the track? Running a race tire at the track, instead of skating down the entire 1/4 mile on radials invalidates the times? Radials at the track suck. Radials at the track **** off real racers who are there on slicks and don't want noobs dragging water half way down the track with their street radials. I went to the track once on my stock Brembo rubber. Losing traction on the 3-4 shift and nearly eating the wall was not my idea of fun or safe racing.

Leave your stock rubber for the street. Please use real race rubber at the track.

Mike
Old 11/20/12, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Impressive. I'm gonna try to get mine to the track in the spring. My buddy is gonna take his '01 Camaro he just finished and hit the low 9's/high 8's.