Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

hypothetical: would you retrofit your S197 with 2015+ IRS (if it would fit?)

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/12, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the live rear axel. I was very hesitant at first. I am a lifelong mustang fan. My second car was a 1967. My father and grandfathers favorite car was the mustang.

Even with this I was concerned coming from mostly European cars in the last 10 years. Then I read an article that compared the Porsche 911 and the Mustang. It stated how the Porsche worked with a rear engine layout that most engineers would say it poor. The live rear axel functions under that same stigma. The engineering it takes to over come this trait is what makes it special.

I drove a friends 07 and starred to be convicted. I test drive a 12 and I couldn't think of owning anything else. I think the old school axel makes it special.
Old 11/25/12, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Any woes you might have with a SRA can be addressed with better shocks, lighter wheels and control arms. Cheap and easy compared to solving woes with IRS.

I don't expect Ford to get the IRS right. They've tried several times and missed the high five each time. Even when they get one from someone else it ends up being iffy.
Old 3/10/14, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
It seems the fastest street cars in the world have irs. Porsches, Ferraris, corvettes, and etc operate very effectively with irs. Because of this, i have a healthy respect for well designed irs systems. So, yes assuming good quality design i would consider the modification.

Originally Posted by 5LHO
Any woes you might have with a SRA can be addressed with better shocks, lighter wheels and control arms. Cheap and easy compared to solving woes with IRS.

I don't expect Ford to get the IRS right. They've tried several times and missed the high five each time. Even when they get one from someone else it ends up being iffy.
I'm not in agreement here. IRS makes it possible to maintain more contact patch and can keep the chassis much more composed... yes, proper shocks can help a great deal on an SRA and they can be made to handle, especially on smooth/flat surfaces but common situations out on the public roads put the shortcomings of SRA on full display.

I took my car out of storage and cruised around the block while the roads were dry this weekend...the frost heaves in the pavement played total havoc with the composure of the car in a way that my IRS cars never felt.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/10/14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 3/10/14, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely NEVER would install it over my 8.8 rear now. Not even on a bet
Old 3/11/14, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Womprat
Hell no, SRA is da bomb diggity!
Fo real homie. Nuff said. Peace I'm outtie 5,000
Old 3/11/14, 03:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
It seems the fastest street cars in the world have irs. Porsches, Ferraris, corvettes, and etc operate very effectively with irs. Because of this, i have a healthy respect for well designed irs systems. So, yes assuming good quality design i would consider the modification.
Corvettes use a transverse leaf spring not an IRS but I understand where you are coming from. Honestly I like my log and they can be made to work EXTREMELY well!! So, no I wouldn't swap them, even thought the S550 IRS is supposed to out handle the Boss right out of the gate.
Old 3/12/14, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Corvettes use a transverse leaf spring not an IRS but I understand where you are coming from. Honestly I like my log and they can be made to work EXTREMELY well!! So, no I wouldn't swap them, even thought the S550 IRS is supposed to out handle the Boss right out of the gate.
Corvettes definitely use IRS. You're right about the transverse spring though.

Old 3/12/14, 08:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 3/13/14, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

I read where the IRS on the new 2015 will be 1.25 to 1.5 inches wider, so it wouldn't be an easy modification.

2011 GT 400A, GT500 AB, BMR Panhard Bar, Airaird CAI, JLT Oil Separator, Whiteline Tranny Insert.
Old 3/14/14, 07:51 PM

Absolutely not. Why F up a perfectly good car. OP bought the wrong car by the sounds of things.
Old 3/20/14, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by speednut
Absolutely not. Why F up a perfectly good car. OP bought the wrong car by the sounds of things.
Says the guy who supercharged his GT.
Old 8/4/14, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So now that we have seen and know more about the S550, any new thoughts on the topic?
Old 8/4/14, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only after someone figured out the right spring rates and sway bar stiffness to make the front and rear suspensions work together, and even then, only for a certain price.

I'd sooner try to make the telescoping steering wheel from the S550 work. That has more impact on my daily life.
Old 8/4/14, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
So now that we have seen and know more about the S550, any new thoughts on the topic?
Having heard how the platform was revamped and the front suspension redesigned because the rear suspension was much better, and given the new car is wider in the rear, I would say "no way, man". It seems you'd have to sink too much $$ so it might as well be put toward the new car.
Old 2/24/15, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Reviving an old discussion now that the S550 has been kicking around for a while and has proven itself to be a very good driving/handling machine.

Originally Posted by wproctor411
IRS will be fine except for those launching at 5000rpm with slicks....but who knows the Vettes are doing fine from what I saw this summer.
^this has proven to be true. Ford is offering stronger axles already.

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
The thing is that the s197 is really designed for IRS, the SRA was put in after an idiot bean counter. The s197 platform traces its roots to jag, if I'm not mistaken.

With this being said, yes if the price is reasonable. In the real world tuning an IRS or an SRA is not so different. Its all about maintaining geometry. For years tuners have made cars handle "Better" by limiting suspension travel. Same applies to SRA cars. But the fact of the matter is that you want as much suspension travel as possible while being able to control such travel. I have said it before, I don't care how much the body leans as long as my contact patch is maximized. You limit travel and your in a world of hurt when things go south and you cant recover it. If my mustang was a track only car, well probably the SRA would stay just to reduce the cost and R&D on developing it. But IRS's have been around for so long that yes you can have one handle massive power. Ask the Charger guys who invest in 1K+ axles and are set for 1000+hp. The freaking truck axle needs to go.

So count me in if the cost of it is less than 3k. You have no idea how much time I have spent underneath my old mustang examining the tub and looking at the dimensions. A real IRS would fit in there with room to spare. They will probably put in the same pumpkin that is in the old explorer. That is a 8.8 unit, throw some good axles on it with cast control arms and a center cage made of the same, it would not weigh anymore than the SRA and be just as strong.
Interesting post.
Old 2/24/15, 08:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I wouldn't attempt it simply because it wasn't designed for my '13. I'm not anti-IRS though. Every car I have ever owned had an IRS prior to my Mustang. Ford did a great job with the SRA in the S197's.
Old 6/6/16, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok... another year and change has passed...more than ever, folks look down their noses at the handling of the S197 and wonder how we ever put up with the SRA.

Thoughts?
Old 6/6/16, 07:16 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,732 Posts
I don't know if anyone remembers this or not, but the S197 was originally designed to house an upgraded version of the control blade IRS from the 03-04 SVT Cobra.. However the bean counters over at Ford decided to scrap it at the last minute, claiming that it was considered as too costly..

Afterwards the engineering dept were instructed to come up with an upgraded/improved design for the existing SRA instead, that was considered as less costly
Old 6/7/16, 08:09 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
One of the downsides I've been seeing lately on S550's at shows and cruise nites is that many of the younger owners are turning them into Honda tuners. The IRS allows for some really goofy looking negative camber.
Old 6/7/16, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I don't know if anyone remembers this or not, but the S197 was originally designed to house an upgraded version of the control blade IRS from the 03-04 SVT Cobra.. However the bean counters over at Ford decided to scrap it at the last minute, claiming that it was considered as too costly..

Afterwards the engineering dept were instructed to come up with an upgraded/improved design for the existing SRA instead, that was considered as less costly
This is a really good point.
If only we could get our hands on these parts.

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
One of the downsides I've been seeing lately on S550's at shows and cruise nites is that many of the younger owners are turning them into Honda tuners. The IRS allows for some really goofy looking negative camber.
Well...there's a difference between running some beneficial negative camber and "hellaflush" which benefits nothing other than vanity.

I suspect that something like -2* would do a lot for the cornering of a Mustang.

Quick Reply: hypothetical: would you retrofit your S197 with 2015+ IRS (if it would fit?)