Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Hushpower drone increasing with time?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hushpower drone increasing with time?

I have the Hushpower and Lethal off road h-pipe. When first installed the sound was very nice, moderately loud and barely noticiable drone. However, over the past week the sound is definately louder and the drone nearly intolerable. I love the sound from the outside, and absolutely killer when stomping on it, but in the cabin at 2000 rpm is killing me.

Anyone else have this happen with Hushpowers? I'm thinking of downgrading sound to GT500 mufflers or something else. I am upgrading my 3.31 gears to 3.73s to get me a bit up the rpm curve due to torque loss witht he Boss intake, and perhaps that will get me a bit out of the drone zone as a side effect, but if that doesn't work...
Old 7/26/11, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you maybe develop an exhaust leak??
Old 7/26/11, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought that earlier. I can hear that pulsing on startup but not at temperature, but I should check it out nonetheless...
Old 7/26/11, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It has been my experience that mufflers "season" as the miles increase. I believe I read somewhere it has to do with internal changes in the baffling as they heat up and cool down over repeated use.

I have experienced this both with stock and aftermarket mufflers.
Old 7/26/11, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwgroovin
I am upgrading my 3.31 gears to 3.73s to get me a bit up the rpm curve due to torque loss witht he Boss intake, and perhaps that will get me a bit out of the drone zone as a side effect, but if that doesn't work...
My 2001 GT had the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and man the drone was bad at 2000 RPM. I threw in a set of 4.10s and an unexpected benefit was that it got me out of that drone range at highway speeds so this might just do it.

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
It has been my experience that mufflers "season" as the miles increase. I believe I read somewhere it has to do with internal changes in the baffling as they heat up and cool down over repeated use.

I have experienced this both with stock and aftermarket mufflers.
+1, my stock exhaust got noticeably louder around 1500 miles and am now at 1700.
Old 7/26/11, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

Exhaust systems do change sound once you put more miles on them. I would just switch out for the GT500s because that's the only way to guarantee you won't ever have drone.
Old 7/27/11, 08:17 AM

Have you contacted Flowmaster? My understanding is that none of their mufflers should ever change their sound. They're supposed to have a good tech department, although I've not had to call them, myself. It'd be interesting to see what they say.
Old 7/27/11, 09:42 AM
GT Member

I have Hushpowers and have no 'drone' at normal driving RPM but in 5th gear will have some going over a steep hill at low speed. I put them on day-1 and purchased them for the wicked WOT sound but I can still use my cell phone with the windows down at highway speed. I now have about 2800 miles on the car over the period of about a year. I tightened everything on the exhaust twice after two good heat cycles -I kept hearing a rattle noise - it was the front of the exhaust near the factory h-pipe. I drive my car maybe once a week. I've tried several brands over the years on 3 stangs and 2 F150's and they all changed sound - or maybe other components of the exhaust changed???. I have an appointment at Brenspeed August 11th to have Long Tubes, O/R X-pipe and some other drive train items switched out. I will let you know if that changes anything with the sound - I'm sure it will since we're going to add about 50 HP to this pile in about 2 weeks with a race tune and full exhaust. The drive home is 3 hours and at various speeds so it should be a good before and after test.