5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

How many HP does the Boss intake actually give

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many HP does the Boss intake actually give

you? ex: If i had the car tuned and then decided to add Boss intake how much of a gainin hp? Dont want to know if your car was stock and then u add tuned and boss at the same time. would like to know step by step increase. Thanks
Old 4/28/11, 12:55 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thats not an easy question to answer. i bet it would very minimal if any hp extra on the stock rev limiter, but it keeps breathing when you bump the limiter over the 7000 where the stock one runs out of air.
Old 4/28/11, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
thats not an easy question to answer. i bet it would very minimal if any hp extra on the stock rev limiter, but it keeps breathing when you bump the limiter over the 7000 where the stock one runs out of air.

STOCK car vs Boss intake, SteedaCAI, and tune on 93oct. Stock everything else including stock exhaust.

Old 4/28/11, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by elvism
you? ex: If i had the car tuned and then decided to add Boss intake how much of a gainin hp? Dont want to know if your car was stock and then u add tuned and boss at the same time. would like to know step by step increase. Thanks
Depends on your setup, I dont have dyno sheets for just a custom tune with the stock air intake system vs Boss intake/cold air/tune.

I do have data for a car that already had a cold air and tune and then just adding the Boss manifold. You can find that info here: https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...ussion-492636/
Old 4/28/11, 04:20 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock 412hp is rated at 6500rpm, but you guys have the stock one cutting off before it could make full power. You can see where the Boss one takes over at around 5200 rpm but the peak hp would have been closer then the 52hp difference that it shows.
Old 4/28/11, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont want to know if your car was stock and then u add tuned and boss at the same time. would like to know step by step increase. Thanks
Don't you HAVE to tune once you add the intake?? I would like to know how or if the vehicle reacts without a tune.....

For what its worth, some folks report around a 30-50 hp increase on just tune and exhaust alone. Looks like the intake adds another 20 hp or so on top.
Old 4/28/11, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you Gus - for finally posting a stock car vs. BOSS intake / CAI / tune. Just as many have speculated, there is virtually no loss down low when compared to a completely stock car, and gain gain gain on the top end!
Old 4/29/11, 06:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Knight
The stock 412hp is rated at 6500rpm, but you guys have the stock one cutting off before it could make full power. You can see where the Boss one takes over at around 5200 rpm but the peak hp would have been closer then the 52hp difference that it shows.
Thats what happens when you dyno it in 5th and you hit the stock speed limiter. It cuts off early, and since everyone seems to demand doing pulls in 5th, and protested when we did them in 4th in the past, thats the result.

In the other thread I linked here I posted a dyno sheet from a car with a mild tune but otherwise stock which removes the speed limiter and a Boss intake pull for comparison. Although it wasnt done on the same day/same car like the one I posted in this thread, it still gives you a general idea of what the trend would be. Which shows where the stock manifold falls off and the Boss takes off. In that dyno sheet at 7200 you have a nearly 80hp difference. While not exact like I mentioned, the trend it shows is that the horsepower difference just keeps getting bigger and bigger as the RPM's climb. Peak numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 4/29/11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 4/29/11, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Don't you HAVE to tune once you add the intake?? I would like to know how or if the vehicle reacts without a tune.....

For what its worth, some folks report around a 30-50 hp increase on just tune and exhaust alone. Looks like the intake adds another 20 hp or so on top.
The car SHOULD run fairly adequately without a tune, but that is far from right. The Boss calibration is totally different from the GT's, and there are differences that relate to the manifold that need to be changed for it to be correct.

The intake does add about 20hp peak up top if you already have a cold air and tune, but with a greater loss of torque cause you are losing torque you gained from the cold air/tune combo.

What many people wanted to know was how does the torque curve compare to stock, which the dyno sheet in this thread answers.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 4/29/11 at 07:05 AM.
Old 4/29/11, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
The car SHOULD run fairly adequately without a tune, but that is far from right. The Boss calibration is totally different from the GT's, and there are differences that relate to the manifold that need to be changed for it to be correct.

The intake does add about 20hp peak up top if you already have a cold air and tune, but with a greater loss of torque cause you are losing torque you gained from the cold air/tune combo.

What many people wanted to know was how does the torque curve compare to stock, which the dyno sheet in this thread answers.
Awesome = this guy!

I was expecting this to turn into a burning man thread with everyone flaming the OP for trying to oversimplify things, but SteedaGus saved it and made this really informative; pure win.

btw - my comment was going to be "eleventy-billion"

Last edited by Bloody_Knuckles; 4/29/11 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add'l props
Old 4/29/11, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont want to know if your car was stock and then u add tuned and boss at the same time. would like to know step by step increase.
Gus, you did still not answer the OP's question, however you provided some good data. "What everyone else wants to know" is great, but not helping the OP.

He wants to know what the increase would be with a tune, THEN what would the next increase would be with the intake added. Or am I missing something????

Looks like the answer is roughly 20 hp from tune to intake, which apparently we agree upon.
Old 5/1/11, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Thats what happens when you dyno it in 5th and you hit the stock speed limiter. It cuts off early, and since everyone seems to demand doing pulls in 5th, and protested when we did them in 4th in the past, thats the result.

3.73's in 5th.. shut off 6723rpms.. just sayin..

Last edited by pony racer; 5/1/11 at 10:41 AM.
Old 5/2/11, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Gus, you did still not answer the OP's question, however you provided some good data. "What everyone else wants to know" is great, but not helping the OP.

He wants to know what the increase would be with a tune, THEN what would the next increase would be with the intake added. Or am I missing something????

Looks like the answer is roughly 20 hp from tune to intake, which apparently we agree upon.

Originally Posted by Steedagus
Depends on your setup, I dont have dyno sheets for just a custom tune with the stock air intake system vs Boss intake/cold air/tune.

I do have data for a car that already had a cold air and tune and then just adding the Boss manifold. You can find that info here: https://themustangsource.com/f...ussion-492636/
I realize that, that's why I made it clear what data I did have.....
Old 5/2/11, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
3.73's in 5th.. shut off 6723rpms.. just sayin..
but it still wouldnt show how much the stock manifold setup drops off as the RPM's climb compared to the Boss. The chart to the other Boss manifold thread I posted in here at least gives you an idea of what the difference is.