Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

How to control an automatic 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/10, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to control an automatic 2011 GT?

How to control an automatic 2011 GT?
I previously only had manual gears v8 cars.
My concern is what happens when you enter a corner when your speed exceeds the maximum allowed forit on automatic V8 w RSC on ?
On manual you can quickly hook down a gear, touch of brake and accelerate in order to maintain the traction
and never had a problem (no problem for sometimes a controlled skid ) and feel that you control the car and
repeat and repeat at 80 -100 -120 and no problems, the same control and for a long time driving not steering.
But in automatic ? all the control go to PCM with the advance trac and roll stability control and ABS
and you can only continue to sit (if you can) just watching what happens?
or you have to brake and tip over ...
or you have to brake and the PCM take the full control?
or you have to do nothing more than to guide and the PCM really take the full independent 4 wheels control?.
If really functions thats great and much better that a manual control but to what extend?
I can`t buy a manual mustang because there is not on my local dealer.
But now i have to get the time and space in order to test what happens in reality, i see some slalom test but it notreflect the reality of a changing curve of degree
and need some previous experiences and know wich is the maximun speed for a x corner grade that my mustang will seize on the track?
I feel that I am going to throw into the pool without water only PCM, without water i know what happens but w PCM?

Last edited by 289; 11/22/10 at 06:36 AM. Reason: software repeat
Old 11/22/10, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
welcome 289
Old 11/22/10, 11:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tons of manual trans cars around, find one somewhere else if you haven't already bought a car.

From what I can get out of your post you will not be at all happy with a automatic trans car.
Old 11/22/10, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're looking to have the kind of precision you are used to, get a manual. Then you don't have to worry about what gear the PCM is going to select, either with or without water (whatever that means). So what if the local dealer doesn't have one on the lot? There are lots of dealers.
Old 11/22/10, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
English, man... do you speak it?
Old 11/22/10, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
English, man... do you speak it?

English Mother F***er ..Do you speak it?!

I think it's a recipe for driving during the holidays.

A touch of the brakes, a pinch of salt...
Old 11/22/10, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OP are you concerned about the computer controlling the car/transmission during a hard turn/slide event?

If this is true, I would certainly suggest you try harder to find a manual. I'm really not trying to be a jerk but your post reads as though Autobots are controlling the car, it's not as insanely complicated as you are asking. Sometimes, you have to roll with the punches in an Automatic, take your foot off the accelerator and play with the brakes. As far as being in the right gear? I don't think that after loosing control of your car this should be what's on your mind.
If you are referring to on a track what to do? I don't know. Take out the automatic and put in a manual? Sounds like you might need to learn a bit about drifting. I'm really just taking stabs in the dark here as I want to be helpful but feel I can't fully be.

Brake and tip over? Are you in an Explorer?

Last edited by Automagically; 11/22/10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11/22/10, 04:30 PM

Glenn
Thanks for your wellcome.

Ltngdrvr,RandyW
I bought an auto because here there is not exist the possibility for a manual.
But presently i have read :
The auto 6R80, which is built in usa Ford's Livonia, Michigan plant.......very good for me.
and
The new MT82 manual is designed by Fords JFT joint venture with Getrag in Germany
and built in a four-way joint venture plant in China.
Sincerely i prefer an usa auto.
And the manual also has skip shift !

Automagic
Really the question is for a user of a 2011 Mustang GT automatic and if you can me understand
i need to know for some practical experience if the car with is PCM really controls the car when the speed
is exceeded on a curve.
Only slows?
Old 11/22/10, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

The automatics are absolutely no fun. Look at how much fun I'm not having in my auto. You can't drive them hard or fast. Look how not hard and not fast I'm driving my auto.

Jason Young - 2011 Mustang GT by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC03777 by jsnyng, on Flickr
Old 11/23/10, 08:16 AM

Yes the manual is other thing, double clutch, downshift, please i don't want remember (my daily BMW yes).
Now i thinking how to make an interface in order to convert the auto to manumatic.
I have the PCM pinouts but not the diagram for input signals to the valve body 6R80.
I'll make it someday or in the worst case buy ranger manumatic option.
And i'm sure will be best than manual.
Old 11/23/10, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 289
Glenn
Thanks for your wellcome.

Ltngdrvr,RandyW
I bought an auto because here there is not exist the possibility for a manual.
But presently i have read :
The auto 6R80, which is built in usa Ford's Livonia, Michigan plant.......very good for me.
and
The new MT82 manual is designed by Fords JFT joint venture with Getrag in Germany
and built in a four-way joint venture plant in China.
Sincerely i prefer an usa auto.
And the manual also has skip shift !

Automagic
Really the question is for a user of a 2011 Mustang GT automatic and if you can me understand
i need to know for some practical experience if the car with is PCM really controls the car when the speed
is exceeded on a curve.
Only slows?
Sorry buddy, I've only driven the manual version of the 2011 GT. I have plenty of experience in vehicles with RWD automatics though. I've been driving light to heavy trucks for over a decade.

My main question is what exactly are you doing with the car?
Let's take the computer question out of this and tell us what your trying to accomplish. Autocross, road racing, snow rally? Please.

It also sounds like a manumatic isn't going to help you either way. The car won't stay in the gear you want for long and you can't use the clutch to soften the blow.

The new auto trans is a great one, even better with reprogrammed shifts. But I don't know if this is what would help you either. Possibly.
Old 11/23/10, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 289

is exceeded on a curve.
Only slows?
When you use the term "controls", you have to be specific. I am not pointing at an obvious communication barrier here but the transmission is the last part of your "control" worries.

This car isn't a Mercedes Benz, it's a Mustang, it doesn't necessarily know that you are overspeed in a turn, it will take the parameters given and calibrate appropriately for the ESC. Traction control is the only other factor that I suppose you could say ties into the transmission. With this, the traction control will allow only so much slip sliding of the *** end. You can keep this feature on or defeat it and let the car a bit more loose.
The electronic stability will shift braking priority on each caliper to try and stabilize the the vehicle as best it can. Power management will slightly override and wheel slip will also be a factor. Key being, if you take a corner too hard you end up in the grass. With an automatic, you will have to brake a little harder and play with the throttle to get the balance you want.
Old 11/23/10, 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
you will need to drive with both feet. Mine is an 06 auto but I have been beating it in and out of corners for 59k miles. You will get use to how it handles. The more time in the seat the better you will get to know what works best with the auto trans. I have a intake and a tune on it which helps with shifting gears when I want them to change. Downshift with a little blip of the throttle and it shifts like I want it to. One foot on the brake and one on the gas. you can also play around with tire pressure front to back to make the car handle differently. Add some adjustable sway bars and the handling gets better/more adjustable to your needs.
Old 11/23/10, 03:05 PM

Automagically,Glenn,

I drive very fast at road curves continuosly this is the problem and the memorys of my manual Falcon 289 high performance.

Thanks for yours comments, that kind of talk was the one who wanted to hear.
But now i'm definitively making a design digital programmed interface in order to take the control for shifting
and the gear will be on when i want, the time i want and change at rpms that i want.
I only have to play with about seven inputs at 6R80 (it have 14) and think to use the cruise sw to up/down sequentially.
Old 11/27/10, 08:17 AM
Cobra R Member

289 - Coming from an automatic (which frustrated me in corners) (not a Mustang), here is my 2 cents:
1) The 2011 Mustang auto still uses an old-fashioned torque converter, and what this means is slightly non-linear power delivery, as compared to a clutch or a new-fangled DSG-style gearbox that used hydraulically-actuated clutch disks. This non-linear power delivery ALWAYS makes power metering in corners a bit tricky, and regardless of whether you have "manumatic" control of gear selection.
2) Automatics cannot read your mind or conditions in the road ahead, so they're always reacting. Of course a manumatic function would fix this.

That said, the Mustang auto trans shifts VERY quickly and firmly (I lived for 2 days with a 2010 automatic and it was impressive). IF you can live with the above negatives, the Mustang auto is the auto to get if you have to have an auto. It downshifts VERY quickly and upshifts in an instant, which is a big reason why the autos are faster in the 1/4-mile, despite their higher weight. They just GO!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 11/27/10 at 08:19 AM.