Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Hot to eliminate body roll?, Better bolstered seats?

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/11, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hot to eliminate body roll?, Better bolstered seats?

Hi Guys,
How can you eliminate the body roll in the 2011 GT? Which seats are better to keep you in place while cornering? If you change the oem seats, will you lose the airbags and warning lights will appear in your dash?
Old 1/8/11, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Hi Guys,
How can you eliminate the body roll in the 2011 GT? Which seats are better to keep you in place while cornering? If you change the oem seats, will you lose the airbags and warning lights will appear in your dash?
Stiffer sway bars are typically used to reduce roll. Stiffer springs will also contribute to reduced roll as will lowering the car somewhat. Better shocks will slow the roll onset.

On seats, neither the cloth or "leather" are bolstered very well. A good aftermarket seat like a Sparco or Recaro will keep you firmly in position.

The airbag light can be easily defeated with a resistor in the circuit to fool the system..
Old 1/8/11, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Good suggestions Modshack
Old 1/8/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
How can you eliminate the body roll in the 2011 GT? Which seats are better to keep you in place while cornering?
I would start with stiffer springs (w/ shocks) and beefier sway bars. For seats, most after market seats will provide better bolstering: sparco, momo, recaro... to name a few.

Good read here: https://themustangsource.com/f800/wh...matter-486829/
Old 1/8/11, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
My 2 cents is start with swaybars. Sam Strano <-----Call him
Old 1/8/11, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you want good seats that will keep the airbags, pick up a set of the FRPP Recaros going into the Boss...but be prepared to pay at least $2500-3k
Old 1/8/11, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
If you want good seats that will keep the airbags, pick up a set of the FRPP Recaros going into the Boss...but be prepared to pay at least $2500-3k
The Recaro option in the 2012 GT500 is $1595 and $2000 in the 2012 Boss 302 including the Torsen differential.

I would not expect seats to cost that much unless you are thinking the "Ford Racing" logo is going to add $$. Also, has anyone confirmed that these Recaros actually will have airbags?
Old 1/9/11, 06:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
to bad the gto and the srt8 seats say gto and srt on them. They are pretty nice
Old 1/9/11, 09:31 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
The Recaro option in the 2012 GT500 is $1595 and $2000 in the 2012 Boss 302 including the Torsen differential.

I would not expect seats to cost that much unless you are thinking the "Ford Racing" logo is going to add $$. Also, has anyone confirmed that these Recaros actually will have airbags?
The difference is that you are referring to an option in purchasing the car versus purchasing aftermarket.

These seats will likely cost at least $2K, and likely closer to $3K.

Laser knows what he's talking about.

Quick example, the Brembo Brake Package was a $1695 option. Go ahead and price out what it would cost to add the Brembo components to a non-Brembo car. I'd say at least double. You can't compare option prices to marked up aftermarket parts.
Old 1/9/11, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
The difference is that you are referring to an option in purchasing the car versus purchasing aftermarket.

These seats will likely cost at least $2K, and likely closer to $3K.

Laser knows what he's talking about.

Quick example, the Brembo Brake Package was a $1695 option. Go ahead and price out what it would cost to add the Brembo components to a non-Brembo car. I'd say at least double. You can't compare option prices to marked up aftermarket parts.
While there certainly are aftermarket and even OEM (Cadillac CTS-V) seats in that price range, I believe Ford's development costs are more amortized over the GT500 and Boss models. I contend they will need to hold the line on price to have the uptake. Of course, this is speculation on my part.
Old 1/9/11, 11:16 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I'd prefer you to be right on this one.

We won't know until they hit the shelves.
Old 1/9/11, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he meant "body roll" like, the human body, ie seats to keep you in place, lol.
Old 1/10/11, 01:01 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

OP: I replied to you PM

Sway bars, shocks and springs all contribute to the amount of body roll.

Everyone's situation is different, and what you use the car for makes a big difference as to what we (Rehagen racing) recommend to reduce your body roll.

The bolstering seat question also depends on what your doing. Roush offers interior kits that include some VERY nice side bolstering that is supportive yet everyday comfortable. (you keep you stock side airbags).

The BEST option would be the new FRPP Recaro Seats from the Boss Laguna Seca (Keeps side bags) however pricing is not yet released. p/n: M-63660005-MB

My car has three items that all contribute to the extremely low body roll. First and foremost is a Steeda adjustable front sway bar (stock rear sway bar, and that’s for a reason) second is FRPP 1.5" drop springs (higher front spring rate then stock) and the adjustable FRPP dampers. Those three items have drastically reduced the body roll on my car (as you can see from the photos below from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course).

now other vendors will swear up and down that the FRPP stuff is not a good idea, or a waste of time, not the best part for the job etc but we at RR beg to differ and respect other opinions but we also stand by that their stuff is some of the best for dual purpose cars (track/street) but what’s right for you will depend on what your intentions for the car are.

As soon as we know that I will sit with our setup guy (once he gets back from Test Days at Daytona) and get his input on what’s right for you.

Old 1/10/11, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
The BEST option would be the new FRPP Recaro Seats from the Boss Laguna Seca (Keeps side bags) however pricing is not yet released. p/n: M-63660005-MB
Is there a photo somewhere that shows the airbags are kept? It's hard to see from the pre-production photos that this is the case. Thanks for any information or clarity on this.
Old 1/10/11, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic - Got my stuff Sam and can't wait to get it installed!
Old 1/10/11, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Is there a photo somewhere that shows the airbags are kept? It's hard to see from the pre-production photos that this is the case. Thanks for any information or clarity on this.
Cancel that - I found one where the 'airbag' tag is visible.
Old 1/10/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Great suggestions Guys!. Nothing better than a good advise from the PROs.
Old 1/10/11, 06:29 PM
GTR Member

+1 to the suggestion of the FRPP Recaro seats. I think there won't be much else out there that will drop in without hassle (like defeating the SAB circuit) like they will.

I've been in Stinger's car, and the body roll is practically non-existant. I don't know how the FRPP static dampers compare to the adjustable ones, but they didn't ride like rocks (adj. ones) in his car.

Just one more bit of food for thought; the FRPP products do carry a limited warranty, and also aren't scoffed at during dealer visits like other aftermarket parts (your results may vary). Just some added peace of mind when modding a car.
Old 1/11/11, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Apparently I said something that upset someone, since my post was taken down.

So, I'm trying again and we'll be more diplomatic about and see if I get censored again.

Every vendor has their reasons for recommending certain parts. If you want to know mine I'm not hard to find. FRPP's are not generally terrible, but I feel there are better products and I use different products, including some of my own--which I only do when I feel I can do a better job than what's readily available.

I prefer/recommend springs that are more consistent than Eibach's. Also I don't see the need to drag around the extra weight of the dead coils on Eibach springs. I also prefer different rates, a touch softer than what Eibach uses. Eibach makes Ford Racing springs. FRPP's and Steeda's front bars are both 35mm hollow and 3 way adjustable. So is the Strano Performance Parts bar. But I use a bit thicker wall tubing and move the endlink holes a bit to give a bit different overall roll stiffness. And my rear bar is 3 way adjustable and hollow, where Steeda and FRPP's (i.e. Eibach) are not.

There is more than one vendor on these sites, and sometimes we disagree on details. I suggest that those things be allowed to be discussed because that's what helps you the most. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for saying so, but have twice already though I don't think I have put up an inflammatory post...

I recommend you call various vendors.. Talk to them and see what you like best for the answers and go that way. It's that simple.

I like to upgrade the bars and the springs, and the dampers. Not so different from what others do. The devil is in the details, and I prefer some different products than maybe someone else does. I'd be more than happy to detail why if you want to call me.
Old 1/11/11, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

air bags

Where are the air bags in the seats? I though they were in the door or roof. Is there any reason not to put some Sparco seats in a Mustang? Cheap, light and good support in turns?

Quick Reply: Hot to eliminate body roll?, Better bolstered seats?