5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

HELP! want resonators off - anyone know a fair shop in/around Sterling VA??

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/12, 03:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric, give this guy a call for the OTA. Unfortunately he sold the A/B already and was willing to sell me both for $200. He will let the OTA go for $100. It will fit on your's since you have the slip on style clamps. He's a straight shooter, nice guy and spoke with him several times. GL man http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...iles-them.html
Old 9/18/12, 04:21 AM
V6 Member

Thanks all. I found a shop to do it. Sterling Hot Rods, Tom is a super cool guy, great shop. The pipe has been ordered, I go back in later in the week......for it to be welded. Can't wait!!
Old 9/18/12, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. Any noticeable differences before and after that you've heard or seen so far?
Old 9/19/12, 02:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by autobred
Eric, give this guy a call for the OTA. Unfortunately he sold the A/B already and was willing to sell me both for $200. He will let the OTA go for $100. It will fit on your's since you have the slip on style clamps. He's a straight shooter, nice guy and spoke with him several times. GL man http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...iles-them.html
Thanks, I registered there and sent him a message. I already have a set if mufflers lined up with a buddy when I goto AL in October for a visit. Gonna do them at his shop while there.
Old 9/19/12, 09:19 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by NTXRockr
Looks good. Any noticeable differences before and after that you've heard or seen so far?
---
Hi Bobby. Better sound throughout the entire rev range.
Pete
Old 9/19/12, 01:40 PM
Banned

Where do you live so I can drive past your house and rev my car up in the mean time to make you jelly?
Old 9/20/12, 05:39 AM
V6 Member

Diva,

Hi, OP here (Jon) I tell you what.....I get my resonators off tomorrow. Let's meet in DC, (I work at GWU) I'll bring out "The Grey Ghost", and we can make each other jelly.
Old 9/23/12, 12:54 AM
GT Member

I got them tonight, Chris was a great guy to deal with! Thanks again for the lead. Now to wait fir my trip to AL in 3 weeks to do them and mufflers!
Old 9/23/12, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

gotta win sometimes!
way to go man...
Old 9/23/12, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

A little off topic, but where is a good exhaust shop in the DC Metro/Baltimore area that can do 4 cuts and re-weld up the pipe, other then MBS?
Old 9/23/12, 08:50 PM
Banned

honestly, I just went to a Midas. The work may be exhausting, but it's not all that much to be overly picky in finding a shop.
Old 9/24/12, 09:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
honestly, I just went to a Midas. The work may be exhausting, but it's not all that much to be overly picky in finding a shop.
That was good for a nice chuckle early in the morning lol.
Old 9/24/12, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Finally got this done......and although the Hot Rod shop I went to was quite meticulous in their approach/quality of work....I ended up paying almost double what the owner originally quoted.....but still under what the schmoe's at the muffler shops were hinting at.

Tis ok, I make a decent living.

Now, as far as this being occasionally touted as a "subtle" mod......NO WAY. It completely changes the tone of the system, as well as the volume. Now, the car sounds like a bonifed beast. The GT500's sound twice as loud, and the over-rev, and gear changes sound just nasty (in a good way!) The car turns heads now.....everywhere. It finally sounds as mean as it should. Worth every penny, and absolutely ZERO drone.
Old 9/24/12, 12:29 PM
V6 Member

They choke down to approx 2" and even less at the actual core. They weigh approx 9lbs for the pair, power wise guess you have to keep the faith IMHO it gains approx 10-15% overall volume at WOT and yet maintains the same pitch. You wont lose that perfect balance of volume between the CAI/GT 500 AB if you have one. You have to check your State for legal issues. No drone but that slight popping you have now while decelerating might increase. My X-pipe seemed to have subdued some of that. Maybe someone else can chime in to be certain. Resonators at the core walls breaks up the sound waves and in turn help cancel each other out. It only helps the muffler out so its mainly the reason you wont pick up obnoxious volume. The only CON I can think of is shelling out the dough to get it done
How long are they?
Old 9/24/12, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't think I could go to a Midas, I was looking to get the stock ball and socket flanges cut and have some 2 or 3 bolt flanges slipped over and then welded back up, feel like that would be a tad expensive though.
Old 9/24/12, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Im not understanding bro, your'e looking into removing the resonators correct? They are located at the straight section of the pipe.The ball and socket clamp is located at the joint with the mufflers, its a band clamp toward the front. Is the Boss different? Mr. Muffler on 301 crain highway..30 minute drive straight down 301 south from you.

Last edited by autobred; 9/24/12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 9/24/12, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Im not understanding bro, your'e looking into removing the resonators correct? They are located at the straight section of the pipe.The ball and socket clamp is located at the joint with the mufflers, its a band clamp toward the front. Is the Boss different? Mr. Muffler on 301 crain highway..30 minute drive straight down 301 south from you.
No, I went a little off topic looking for a reasonable place to who could cut the flanges on the x pipe and cat sides so that I could slip over some of the diamond shaped flanges over the pipe and then have it welded back up. I get a leak where the x and cats connect and no matter what I do they continue to leak, I figured if I could pull the pipes together horizontally rather then have a clamp wrapped around them it would get rid of most of the leak.
Old 9/25/12, 01:59 AM
GT Member

gotta win sometimes!
way to go man...
Old 9/27/12, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I went by MBS Tuesday and Tim assured me that I had no leak, which was very nice even though he assured me he would do the work I had asked if he could do. Thankfully the reason I thought I had a leak was because my cats have started making noise because the exhaust is less restrictive.
Old 9/28/12, 01:26 AM
GT Member

Now, I see a lot if threads about drone for you folks with the 11' and up when ditching the resonators.... I also have a set of MBRP bullet mufflers waiting to go on, do the 4.6's have any issues with drone? I'm prolly going to pop the mufflers on first for a day, then the OTA's. and see how things differ.

Quick Reply: HELP! want resonators off - anyone know a fair shop in/around Sterling VA??