Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/13, 04:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

The only difference between what I stated previously, and what you stated (which I bolded), is the use of the word occasionally. Again, I don't track. I don't race. I don't abuse. So the ONLY time I will get to "use" any type of vehicle horsepower is when I step on the gas when I "occasionally romp it", as I stated earlier, which you quoted initially.

So by your standards, everyone is not techinically "using" their vehicle horsepower unless one is contantly flooring it. lol.

Either way.... in the end, it's whatever floats YOUR boat... and whatever floats MY boat. My question on this thread was for you all to offer a suggestion as to whether or not it would be better to get a supercharger on my existing car or a used Shelby. EITHER choice is not financially smart, let's admit. And EITHER choice, I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER use the added horsepower to FULL advantage. I know that. I accept it. And it "floats my boat".
So the real question, How important is it to you to own a Shelby? How can people on here tell you what is better for you or what's important to you? Better from a financial standpoint? Better in what way? It depends on what you plan to do with the car and your ego. Either way, a supercharger on your 5.0 or used Shelby, both cars are going to have way more power than you will use or need on a daily basis. So the real question is, do you feel more like the man driving around with a Cobra emblem on the side or 5.0 emblem. When driving in a Gt500 everybody is like wow, look at that Shelby that's awesome. When driving in supercharged 5.0 people are like oh , hey there is a 5.0. Nobody knows its supercharged but you. Everybody knows your in the Shelby. So, I say based on what I only know about you from your posts, a guy like you will be happier with the Shelby, Gt500. Buy the Shelby and sell your 5.0. Its a status thing about buying the Gt500. Sure there are plenty of more powerful non Shelby's out there but there not a Shelby. Its the name, the status. If I were a betting man, your the kind of guy that want to give the world a certain image about youself. Driving that Shelby will better portray that image you want to sent out. The 5.0 is awesome but let's face it, the Shelby is the king of the road when it comes to stock mustangs.

Let's be honest its no different than a V6 model. No matter how fast a V6 will be it will never have the image of the V8 and be a 5.0. In turn, no matter how fast the 5.0 is, supercharged or Turbo charged it will never be the Shelby Gt500. Its all about what gets you rock hard. Go for the Shelby, trust me on this.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/20/13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the OP take a cold shower yet?
Old 2/21/13, 05:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Did the OP take a cold shower yet?
Haha... Hey tony.

More like a cold snow shower
Old 2/21/13, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

So the real question, How important is it to you to own a Shelby? How can people on here tell you what is better for you or what's important to you? Better from a financial standpoint? Better in what way? It depends on what you plan to do with the car and your ego. Either way, a supercharger on your 5.0 or used Shelby, both cars are going to have way more power than you will use or need on a daily basis. So the real question is, do you feel more like the man driving around with a Cobra emblem on the side or 5.0 emblem. When driving in a Gt500 everybody is like wow, look at that Shelby that's awesome. When driving in supercharged 5.0 people are like oh , hey there is a 5.0. Nobody knows its supercharged but you. Everybody knows your in the Shelby. So, I say based on what I only know about you from your posts, a guy like you will be happier with the Shelby, Gt500. Buy the Shelby and sell your 5.0. Its a status thing about buying the Gt500. Sure there are plenty of more powerful non Shelby's out there but there not a Shelby. Its the name, the status. If I were a betting man, your the kind of guy that want to give the world a certain image about youself. Driving that Shelby will better portray that image you want to sent out. The 5.0 is awesome but let's face it, the Shelby is the king of the road when it comes to stock mustangs.

Let's be honest its no different than a V6 model. No matter how fast a V6 will be it will never have the image of the V8 and be a 5.0. In turn, no matter how fast the 5.0 is, supercharged or Turbo charged it will never be the Shelby Gt500. Its all about what gets you rock hard. Go for the Shelby, trust me on this.
Absolute best post relating to this issue!
Old 2/21/13, 01:59 PM
V6 Member

Supercharge. For the lower end of your budget you can have installed a Vortech that is emissions- legal and turn 664 HP! No pre- 2013 Shelby will come close to that stock!
Old 2/21/13, 02:44 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Mach 5.0L
Absolute best post relating to this issue!
Very much disagree... and to the other end of the spectrum. Poster does not understand the original intent of the question.

But to each his own.

Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt
Supercharge. For the lower end of your budget you can have installed a Vortech that is emissions- legal and turn 664 HP! No pre- 2013 Shelby will come close to that stock!
I thought about that as well. However, the Vortech route will not come with a 1 or 2 year post-factory warranty, available from a Whipple or Roush SCer. Also, imo, nothing beats the look of a roots right on top of the engine bay, as soon as the hood is opened.
Old 2/27/13, 08:44 AM
I Have No Life

I did further research and thinking over the last few days... and this comparison keeps dancing in my head.

USED SHELBY = assume $45k for low mileage 1 to 2 year old.
Sell Marilyn outright or trade = $25k to $30k.
Out of pocket = $15k to $20k, plus fees/tax.

SUPERCHARGER = $6k in parts (no tax if bought online), $1.5k in installation, including tax.
Out of pocket = $8k tops.

So, talking pure monetary facts, that's almost a $10 to $15k difference between the two.

IMO, SC is the way to go....... not even counting that I'd have more hp than a stock shelby, plus Marilyn has been mine since she was born off the production line... no unknown "used" owners

My SC "itch" is fast becoming a "rash". The minute I get "hives", I'm placing an order.
Old 2/27/13, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I did further research and thinking over the last few days... and this comparison keeps dancing in my head.

USED SHELBY = assume $45k for low mileage 1 to 2 year old.
Sell Marilyn outright or trade = $25k to $30k.
Out of pocket = $15k to $20k, plus fees/tax.

SUPERCHARGER = $6k in parts (no tax if bought online), $1.5k in installation, including tax.
Out of pocket = $8k tops.
The only other monetary factor I would add is if there happens to be any reliability troubles that could result from the modification (this is just my view of it; may not be a big thing at all). Adding in the worst case (a new engine and supercharger), it would close the gap, but the likelihood of blowing up your engine should be pretty low.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 2/27/13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2/27/13, 06:12 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

The only other monetary factor I would add is if there happens to be any reliability troubles that could result from the modification (this is just my view of it; may not be a big thing at all). Adding in the worst case (a new engine and supercharger), it would close the gap, but the likelihood of blowing up your engine should be pretty low.
Thanks tony... Yes from the research I've done, the risk factor for a roush setup and roush tune is pretty low. Roush leaves a lot margin... Not even getting close to the stock coyote limits. Finding folks who have had issues with this, I found none... But there's still a risk obviously. I will probably upgrade my clutch sometime in the future.
Old 2/28/13, 05:43 AM
GT Member

id say supercharge your baby that came right off the line. I would just because of the sentimental attachment, you know what I mean?
Old 2/28/13, 11:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 95_5.0
id say supercharge your baby that came right off the line. I would just because of the sentimental attachment, you know what I mean?
Yes that part of the equation weighs heavily on my mind. I think there is something to be said about knowing the entire path of a vehicle from birth to the end
Old 2/28/13, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I see that somebody already mentioned engine durability. Once you have a SC and drive it for a while, are you going to want more?

Also, there was a good post about nothing but a SHELBY is a SHELBY. Doesn't matter if SC is faster or not. Doesn't matter that the Roush out-handles it. It's still not a Shelby.

If you SC Marilyn, how is that going to affect the powertrain warranty? Hopefully not.

If you're looking for a really hot GT500, I think Lethal Performance is still selling their black with blue stripes >900 bhp coupe. I think the price was right around $45K.
Old 2/28/13, 03:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
I see that somebody already mentioned engine durability. Once you have a SC and drive it for a while, are you going to want more?

Also, there was a good post about nothing but a SHELBY is a SHELBY. Doesn't matter if SC is faster or not. Doesn't matter that the Roush out-handles it. It's still not a Shelby.

If you SC Marilyn, how is that going to affect the powertrain warranty? Hopefully not.

If you're looking for a really hot GT500, I think Lethal Performance is still selling their black with blue stripes >900 bhp coupe. I think the price was right around $45K.
Oh man I think you just upped the ante... 900 hp? Lol. What year is it?

As for being satisfied with 650+hp, I would most definitely think so... I've never owned a car with that much power. I have driven them tho.

As to the warranty... There's still the burden of proof, that the mods must be proven to cause the failure of that component. The phase2 kit I want is not available with a roush warranty.

As to Marilyn not being a Shelby , that is quite ok. I'm not trying to make my car a Shelby wannabe... I just want it to be a beast GT with 600+ hp
Old 2/28/13, 03:40 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Oh man I think you just upped the ante... 900 hp? Lol. What year is it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=121062463499
Old 2/28/13, 04:04 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
---
So does $60k include the girl in the barely-there bikini ? Because I may bid.
Old 2/28/13, 04:43 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Holy moly 60k.....

So by my calculation .... Lethal Shelby 60k minus 25 to 30k Marilyn price = 35k worst case

Supercharger = 8k

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Lol

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/28/13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

FromZto5

I've been thinking along the same lines as you, when I debate selling and buying a Boss vs supercharging, but here is the question I'm now asking myself...

Is the supercharger really only $8k? Or is it $8k plus a clutch, plus brakes, etc etc?

I'd be tossing a Whipple on an '08, so slightly different, but food for thought. ...and also curious on thoughts from anyone that has gone down the SC route.

Last edited by UMich97; 3/1/13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 3/3/13, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
FromZto5

I've been thinking along the same lines as you, when I debate selling and buying a Boss vs supercharging, but here is the question I'm now asking myself...

Is the supercharger really only $8k? Or is it $8k plus a clutch, plus brakes, etc etc?

I'd be tossing a Whipple on an '08, so slightly different, but food for thought. ...and also curious on thoughts from anyone that has gone down the SC route.
No, you don't need to do anything else in addition to the super charger installation if just using as a daily driver. If you are the type who sidesteps the clutch at every opportunity you'll go through your clutch, regardless if blown or not. My daily driver is an '11 GT 6 speed with a Vortech kit. Nothing blown up, no overheating, nada. Do it...you will love it.
Old 3/3/13, 09:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt

No, you don't need to do anything else in addition to the super charger installation if just using as a daily driver. If you are the type who sidesteps the clutch at every opportunity you'll go through your clutch, regardless if blown or not. My daily driver is an '11 GT 6 speed with a Vortech kit. Nothing blown up, no overheating, nada. Do it...you will love it.
Now this is great to hear. It's one of the wifeys concerns. If I spend this much on the sc, we are worried we will have to start pouring money into it, because if other parts that start failing. But as I stated before, ESP those of you who know me from all my threads, I'm the kind of person you'd WANT to buy a used car from with no hesitation or test drive. My cars are ALWAYS babied for every sense of the word. Marilyn never sees rain or cloudy weather lol. I once had a twin turbo mint Rx7 with 100+ k miles .... Never seen rain.
Old 3/3/13, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Now this is great to hear. It's one of the wifeys concerns. If I spend this much on the sc, we are worried we will have to start pouring money into it, because if other parts that start failing. But as I stated before, ESP those of you who know me from all my threads, I'm the kind of person you'd WANT to buy a used car from with no hesitation or test drive. My cars are ALWAYS babied for every sense of the word. Marilyn never sees rain or cloudy weather lol. I once had a twin turbo mint Rx7 with 100+ k miles .... Never seen rain.
How does one never get caught in rain after 100k+ miles driven?

Quick Reply: Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby