5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/13, 05:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
If you do it, go for the Shelby, as long as well maintained and very low miles. Do you have a certain color you really want?
What's up JC? How have the GT500 exhausts Been for you?

Yeah the keys to find a low mileage well taken care of Shelby. As far as color I would love another Kona but I would be okay with black or red

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
If you supercharge the 5.0 you'll outrun the pre-2013 Shelby every time. And with minimal suspension mods you will out-handle it as well. That's assuming that if you get the Shelby you will want to keep it stock / maintain its originality.
Yeah performance wise I would think that a supercharged GT compared to a Shelby would be almost close. There may be some subtle differences at the limit but I would never explore those as I'd never track or beat on my cars anyway.

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Don't EVER make the assumption that a low-mileage car is taken care of, especially something like a Shelby. The people that buy these cars and don't touch them aren't the kind of people that turn around and give them up a year or two later. Those people are the ones that drive by the dealership, see it in the showroom, remember the ****-head from corporate ******* on their 450+ hp Beemer, and decide to add 200 more horsepower to their ego just so they can wear a ****-eating grin at the next board meeting. Six months and 4700 stiff-riding miles and no oil change later, after realizing that the car doesn't have a talking on-board computer that drives for them while they're too busy dealing with work to actually pay attention to the road, they trade it in for half what they paid for it on a shiny new Audi/Benz/Beemer/insert famous German upper-middle-class overpriced ego massager here that doesnt get the Stink-Eye from the CEO every time he pulls into the parking garage and gets more attention than the boss' six-figure Executive ego massager does. Besides, unless you rode in the car for the first 5k miles, you're banking the car's well-being on the word of an individual about whom you probably know nothing. that's a hell of a gamble with $45k+ of your own money, not to mention any and all repairs you have to cover later. There is no way on God's green earth I would touch a performance car that has miles on it that I didn't put on myself.
You bring up some very good points ... If I do go the Shelby route I would hope that perhaps there would be one or a handful of people that would have taken the same care of their cars as I would have. Then again I could be sorely mistaken.

Originally Posted by ManInABox

Doing great my brother! Living life and having fun! I feel for you man, i really do. To have my baby locked up for the winter would drive me insane. How have you been man?
I've been great bro. I've just been busy with life, family, kids... You know the usual. I really wish spring or summer would get here right away I am getting really really really antsy driving Marilyn

Originally Posted by Steven

Just imagine what a used car is going to be like. You'll never have perfect paint again, no matter how much you correct the DIS and Automatic car wash swirls. Don't get me wrong, it'll look good, **** good given your track record, but it'll never be "Marilyn" good.

Then there's the fact that you'll never know what happened on those used miles. Maybe a drag race or 10? Burn outs? Donuts in the parking lot?

What about just ordering a new 2014?
Wow man you found my first thread that I posted about getting Marilyn. How did you find that? I sure miss that thread a lot

Originally Posted by UMich97
Not sure what OP will choose, but I think everyone here just made me feel a lot better about possibly supercharging my 08.
Old 2/15/13, 05:41 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Or...............keep Marilyn for another couple of years and see what the rumored 2016 GT350 has to offer. It could be a cheaper offering than the 2013/14 GT500 (pure speculation on my part there!).

You'd get the extra power you want, plus it'd be brand new and unmolested
I would love a new Shelby, but that's why I put a used Shelby in the subject line because I can't afford $65-$70,000...

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Another point that I'd like to throw in the mix is that when you supercharge your GT, you'll void the power-train warranty (unless you do it through an authorized Ford/Roush dealership, read big $$). Buying a used 11-12 Shelby from a Ford dealer will usually get you a full warranty, and sometimes extended, too. Just something to think about, especially if you feel that the low-mileage Shelby might have been raced by the former owner. Plus, I track my 11 GT a few times a year, and other than tires and brakes, it's not too rough on the car, and she looks and runs perfect.
What's up PJR... I am definitely in a quandary

Originally Posted by eric n
I too have thought about going blown on my kona 2011. My thought now is wait and get a slightly used 2013 shelby (660+ponies ZOWZA!) or pick up a 2015 when they come out! Either way is a year or so down the road.

I also have some concern about blowing the motor on my coyote as they sometimes don't hold up to forced induction. Additionally I can't possibly get my money back on supercharging the 5.0, so going that route seems unwise, though fun and immediate.
Hi Eric How have you been sir. I do understand that I won't get my $ back from supercharging...but I already accepted that fact when I committed to the mods listed in my sig. I guess the supercharger would just be on the high end of the $ total lol. I could also always part it out if truly wanted to... But that's all assuming I ever sell her in the first place haha. Who knows, it might be my son's 16th bday gift.
Old 2/15/13, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJJ
I would disagree in that I know many owners who put light miles on them and turned around and sold them within two years.

Priorities change, finances change many get OCD to the point they have trouble even driving them.

I own a 2011 Shelby and have spent way too much time on fordgt500 the past two years.

It is true there are some with 1500 miles where the owner has thrashed the tranny with the 1-2 gear jam to the point they get pissed and sell the car. The key is too get on the gt500 forum and the regulars have a darn good idea on members cars who are mint and those that have been beat to hell.
Yeah, because all Shelby owners go to that forum. On top of that, all the members know the condition of every other Shelby and the driving behaviors of every other member.

Great point.
Old 2/15/13, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
All I would say is this - I don't ever remember you talking about drag racing or tracking the car...so are you really going to use the extra 125 HP over Marilyn or is she plenty fast for how you drive her? The extra power isn't really usable on the street, IMO, so buying one is more about the exclusivity and having the power, rather than using it.

Knowing the little bit I do about how you use her and what your passions are, what about a custom paint job, more visual mods, etc.?

I'd rather have a Boss than a GT-500, personally - seems like there are more Shelbys around than Bosses, plus the look and handling of the Boss have more appeal to me.
Old 2/15/13, 05:58 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I don't ever remember you talking about drag racing or tracking the car...so are you really going to use the extra 125 HP over Marilyn or is she plenty fast for how you drive her? The extra power isn't really usable on the street, IMO, so buying one is more about the exclusivity and having the power, rather than using it.
---
^ I think this is a very good point.
Old 2/15/13, 06:12 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
All I would say is this - I don't ever remember you talking about drag racing or tracking the car...so are you really going to use the extra 125 HP over Marilyn or is she plenty fast for how you drive her? The extra power isn't really usable on the street, IMO, so buying one is more about the exclusivity and having the power, rather than using it.

Knowing the little bit I do about how you use her and what your passions are, what about a custom paint job, more visual mods, etc.?

I'd rather have a Boss than a GT-500, personally - seems like there are more Shelbys around than Bosses, plus the look and handling of the Boss have more appeal to me.
I don't use all 400+ horses now lol. In fact I probably don't use 175 horses on my Fusion... Lol. But we're men (insert Tim Allen grrr here)...and we always love more power. Do I need it? No. Do I want it(600+hp)? Hell yes)

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/15/13 at 06:48 PM.
Old 2/15/13, 07:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't some supercharged 11 plus 5.0's have around 600 HP. That's 50 more than a 11-12 Gt500. My understanding is that a supercharged 5.0 will outrun a stock Gt500 from a straight line. I would go for the supercharged 5.0.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/15/13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2/15/13, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a case of winter boredom, contributing to your desire to "ignite the flame", so to speak. To answer this question, I would ask myself exactly when I would use the power, how often I would use the power, and does the styling differences and panache of a Shelby Mustang outweigh the cost to purchase AND maintain (think tires) AND insure (think more with the Shelby).

Then take your current car out on a drive, followed by a review of your finances, followed by a good, long cold shower.

After all that, well, then you will be in a good state to decide :-)
Old 2/15/13, 10:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 642 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't some supercharged 11 plus 5.0's have around 600 HP.
Yes they do. They also have no warranty, along with the propensity of blowing an $8,000 engine all to hell at a moments notice because it wasn't built to handle that kind of power. That's fine if you have a spare 10 grand laying around to get your brand new car back on the road and are willing to lose that 10 grand plus the 10 grand you spent on the supercharger if you have to sell it.
Old 2/15/13, 10:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Yes they do. They also have no warranty, along with the propensity of blowing an $8,000 engine all to hell at a moments notice because it wasn't built to handle that kind of power. That's fine if you have a spare 10 grand laying around to get your brand new car back on the road and are willing to lose that 10 grand plus the 10 grand you spent on the supercharger if you have to sell it.
I didn't realize the 5.0's engine could not handle that extra horsepower from the supercharger. I figured that coyote engine could easily handle it. The things you learn. If they commonly blow the motor then heck no on getting it supercharged. Just buy the Gt500 because I assume the engine was designed to work with a supercharger without blowing up the engine.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/15/13 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2/15/13, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't EVER make the assumption that a low-mileage car is taken care of, especially something like a Shelby. The people that buy these cars and don't touch them aren't the kind of people that turn around and give them up a year or two later. Those people are the ones that drive by the dealership, see it in the showroom, remember the ****-head from corporate ******* on their 450+ hp Beemer, and decide to add 200 more horsepower to their ego just so they can wear a ****-eating grin at the next board meeting. Six months and 4700 stiff-riding miles and no oil change later, after realizing that the car doesn't have a talking on-board computer that drives for them while they're too busy dealing with work to actually pay attention to the road, they trade it in for half what they paid for it on a shiny new Audi/Benz/Beemer/insert famous German upper-middle-class overpriced ego massager here that doesnt get the Stink-Eye from the CEO every time he pulls into the parking garage and gets more attention than the boss' six-figure Executive ego massager does. Besides, unless you rode in the car for the first 5k miles, you're banking the car's well-being on the word of an individual about whom you probably know nothing. that's a hell of a gamble with $45k+ of your own money, not to mention any and all repairs you have to cover later. There is no way on God's green earth I would touch a performance car that has miles on it that I didn't put on myself.
Whoa! We Shelby owners are not all like that. All the ones I know personally and on forums such as Team Shelby and FordGT500 absolutely cherish their cars, as I do. There might be the few that follow the example above but a serious enthusiast will easily be able to document the cars history.
Old 2/15/13, 10:42 PM
Cobra Member

Well as a GT, Roush, BOSS(sold), and Shelby owner maybe I can lend some insight.

First, don't ever think insurance on a Shelby will be more, it's really not. Don't know of a single insurance company that will cover over $5k in aftermarket parts, and most won't even do that. You will have to eat aftermarket parts in case of an accident, or get special collectors insurance and limit the mileage per year. A Shelby is easy to insure and bolt-ons for major power is way under $5k.

Other expenses, such as tires, is also not a factor. Once you get 600+HP your stock wheels and tires wheel HAVE to go. So it's actually more expensive supercharging, unless you only want to be garage queen. You may also need to factor in upgrading brakes, not neccessary but a good idea. The Shelby will already have all this.

I know people running around 600RWHP on the 5.0 with no issues, at least so far lol. So getting Shelby power out of the GT should be no problem, in fact you would be able to out run a stock pre-13 Shelby. This of course would void your warranty at these levels of HP. Of course a Shelby can be moddifed for much more. For example John Lund told me this week that he would have me at 850RWHP with his E85 tune(with my mods)....and that's just insane.

As for GT500s being abused, I know plenty of people that sold pre-13s so they could get a 13-14. I also know a few people that sold their 2013 because they wanted a GTR or GT3. So they are out there, they don't finance these cars to anybody that walks in. Also everybody knows what a Shelby is, even people that hate Mustangs drool and takes pics of my Shelby!

At this point I feel like I'm favoring the Shelby to much, meant to be more neutral. So I'm going to shut up now and say forget about the Shelby, they are way over rated!!
Old 2/16/13, 03:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Bingo. I wouldn't take either of the paths the OP is presenting to himself. I'd wait, drive the car you have, decide if the extra HP is really that necessary, then begin looking for a vehicle that was as powerful as you want it to be off the showroom floor. It has a warranty. You put a blower on your '11 and you're risking exactly what Lee was saying above. It may not happen, just as the '11 GT500 you buy may not have been abused. All you have is the driver's word. Are you really willing to put almost half a hundred thousand of your own dollars on nothing but the word of the previous owner of the supercharged car you're looking at driving? Hard to believe you would be, considering the care you take with your current car.

Also, re: other people/message boards, there is such a thing as lying your *** off. Unless YOU drove the car, unless YOU put the miles on it, YOU have NO IDEA what condition that car is really in unless you dismantle the whole **** thing front to back, top to bottom. You want to buy a used high-performance car because a guy on a message board says he babied it, go right ahead. I'll spend less on my brand new model than you will on the used one after you've replaced who knows how many parts inside 12 months of taking ownership.
Old 2/16/13, 03:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SoScary
Whoa! We Shelby owners are not all like that. All the ones I know personally and on forums such as Team Shelby and FordGT500 absolutely cherish their cars, as I do. There might be the few that follow the example above but a serious enthusiast will easily be able to document the cars history.
Don't have to be. All he needs is to find one that is, and he's in a financial hellhole. I take very good care of my Shelby, and I always will because it will never leave my possession. That statement and that fact have no bearing on whether or not someone can have faith that the miles that have been put on it were done so carefully and conscientiously. I know what you're saying, but the price involved in the purchase of such a vehicle is simply too high for me, anyway, to buy a used vehicle of any make or model that is that expensive. Repairs on a supercharged powertrain are astronomical and will easily consume any monies you saved by buying used instead of new.
Old 2/16/13, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I didn't realize the 5.0's engine could not handle that extra horsepower from the supercharger. I figured that coyote engine could easily handle it. The things you learn. If they commonly blow the motor then heck no on getting it supercharged. Just buy the Gt500 because I assume the engine was designed to work with a supercharger without blowing up the engine.
You'd think if a lot of folks were popping their motors, it would be more widely known. Sure, some folks probably are, but that's because they push the FI equipment to/beyond the manufacturer's recommended boost limits.

Ford Racing sells an aluminator motor built specifically for forced induction use, and the compression is pulled back to 9-1 (from the OEM 11-1). If you want boost, that's the right way to go.
Old 2/16/13, 05:58 AM
I Have No Life

Thanks for all the insight guys. Some very good points uttered so far in this thread. I wanted to add to the post that stated "adding a supercharger blows a stock coyote motor" is not true. Remember, if I go the supercharge route, it will either be a roush or ford whipple charger that will be installed at a ford dealer... This comes with some form of a warranty. The stock coyote can handle modest forms of boost, which is what I would be doing. No tracking... No abusing, etc. folks who know me, know how I take care of my cars inside and out. I know plenty of FI'd mustangs that are just fine. I know might not recoup my $ investment... But you pay to play I guess.

As to the used Shelby point, I still think this is also a possibility... Again, I usually can tell from other owners, by talking to them and seeing the car I person, whether or not its been abused etc. Now I know it's still a risk obviously... But if I come across a 2011 Shelby for example.... I visit the owner at his house, I see the car is in a third stall heated garage, under a Shelby car cover, inside a spotless garage, detailing equipment on the shelf, I find out the owner is an engineer or manager at some big company, etc etc, car is spotless inside and out, and has only 3458 miles.... There's probably a GREAT chance that this Shelby is legit. That example I gave is one of many of how I feel buying a used car would be advisable. Risk? Yes. But a calculated one... And probably one I would take if I could save almost $20k up front. (Used)

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/16/13 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2/16/13, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a supercharged 5.0 is properly installed and tuned for the blower and its supporting mods it won't have any reliability issues.

Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 2/16/13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 2/16/13, 07:38 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bingo. I wouldn't take either of the paths the OP is presenting to himself. I'd wait, drive the car you have, decide if the extra HP is really that necessary, then begin looking for a vehicle that was as powerful as you want it to be off the showroom floor. It has a warranty. You put a blower on your '11 and you're risking exactly what Lee was saying above. It may not happen, just as the '11 GT500 you buy may not have been abused. All you have is the driver's word. Are you really willing to put almost half a hundred thousand of your own dollars on nothing but the word of the previous owner of the supercharged car you're looking at driving? Hard to believe you would be, considering the care you take with your current car.

Also, re: other people/message boards, there is such a thing as lying your *** off. Unless YOU drove the car, unless YOU put the miles on it, YOU have NO IDEA what condition that car is really in unless you dismantle the whole **** thing front to back, top to bottom. You want to buy a used high-performance car because a guy on a message board says he babied it, go right ahead. I'll spend less on my brand new model than you will on the used one after you've replaced who knows how many parts inside 12 months of taking ownership.
I was the one that made the point about knowing other members cars in the gt500 forum. In many cases many of the members are local to one another. They cruise together and hang out together.

One example was an older gentleman that bought a gt500 as his dream car. Posted about it every day with pics and then sold it with less than 2000 miles due to health reasons that came up. Several members knew the guy and would verify his story. That is just one example.

Granted as far as forums go I find that to be the most civil and mature forum. You don't have the junior high crap that goes on at other forums (this isn't one of them).

Call me naive but there are several members on that site I would buy from without any concern.

Then there are the members that brag about beating the hell out of their cars and then two months later are complaining about something breaking. Then magically it shows up in an ad stating that the car has never seen rain, never had the pulley changed or tuned.

That is why you just need to know the audience.

Just my opinion.
Old 2/16/13, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Too bad you were not thinking of this last year, there was a brand new Shelby vert that was on sale near me for I think it was 46k or 48k...but it was silver so not sure if you would have wanted that color or a vert...
Old 2/16/13, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah it was a 2012 Silver vert..sticker was almost $56k and it was on sale for $48k...I found the posting I made with a link to the dealer I posted last April. I actually sat in the car when i was shopping for my Mustang 8 months earlier...it was a beautiful car...

Quick Reply: Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby