Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/13, 09:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Don't do anything until the 2015's come out.
Old 2/16/13, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey what's up Burton, been mia lately too and getting the winter itch as well. I think the problem is we sit here all winter for several months contemplating what we want to do with our Mustang when the weather changes. Whether it be mods, selling, trading or getting a new one, etc.
I've been going thru the same thing, toying with a billion different ideas - only to come down to one conclusion...

Its really just the itch of not being able to drive/play with/detail/mod the car. I think once the weather breaks and you start in again, you'll feel better.

However, if change is what you really want though, I really recommend waiting to see what the 2015's look like. Hell, you might fall in love with that car and really want to make the change. Plus its only about a year away until release, even sooner until we start seeing what it may look like. That's definitely what I plan on doing and then making a decision whether to keep or change. Even tho I'm really itching for that SC whiiiinneeee lol.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Anthony

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 2/16/13 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2/16/13, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great advice to hold off. Unless your someone who does not have a mustang now, why sell a perfectly good running mustang now so close to the new 15 design? Why not wait to see what Ford does with the 15 and the exact specs before spending 7k on a supercharger. Why invest 7k now on a supercharger to only fall in love with the 15 and you might sell your newly supercharged 5.0. You won't get your 7k back into the car that has one year old supercharger on it

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/16/13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2/16/13, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since you own a 2012, I think the Shelby is the way to go. You would still have the same body style and you would be money ahead in the long run because the resale on the Shelby is much better then the standard gt let alone a heavily modded one. I too am looking at supercharging my 13 but I don't want a stick so that kind of elimates a Shelby for me. I also wouldn't want to step back a year in body style. The other thing people haven't mentioned is that you can bump the factory hp of the Shelby an easy 100 or so with just a tune and a cai.

I don't think you will have a problem finding a very well taken care of garage queen. There are many guys with mid-life crisis issues out there. Good luck.
Old 2/17/13, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I made the jump when I was facing the same question. I had a lot of money into mods on my 2013 as well. I can honestly say the only thing I miss about the 2013 after having traded for the 2011 Shelby are those sexy *** tail lights... but mods can fix that!!
Old 2/18/13, 07:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Hey what's up Burton, been mia lately too and getting the winter itch as well. I think the problem is we sit here all winter for several months contemplating what we want to do with our Mustang when the weather changes. Whether it be mods, selling, trading or getting a new one, etc.
I've been going thru the same thing, toying with a billion different ideas - only to come down to one conclusion...

Its really just the itch of not being able to drive/play with/detail/mod the car. I think once the weather breaks and you start in again, you'll feel better.

However, if change is what you really want though, I really recommend waiting to see what the 2015's look like. Hell, you might fall in love with that car and really want to make the change. Plus its only about a year away until release, even sooner until we start seeing what it may look like. That's definitely what I plan on doing and then making a decision whether to keep or change. Even tho I'm really itching for that SC whiiiinneeee lol.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Anthony
What's up Anthony. Yeah winter is definitely the culprit. However, I did get the chance to start her up yesterday... I made a vid and also recorded some audio to make my iPhone ringtone lol. Here's the vid... Not sure how much longer I can take. It felt SO good to hear those borlas again....

Ultimately tho, I think I might lean towards the supercharger...but who knows when summer rolls around this year. I might also get the boss quad exhaust as well. I'm still waiting on someone to post a vid of the borlas and quads together hmmmm

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I made the jump when I was facing the same question. I had a lot of money into mods on my 2013 as well. I can honestly say the only thing I miss about the 2013 after having traded for the 2011 Shelby are those sexy *** tail lights... but mods can fix that!!
Wow... You traded your 13 for a 11 Shelby? Yeah... I keep thinking that might be an option for me too... So many choices.

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/18/13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2/18/13, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I might also get the boss quad exhaust as well. I'm still waiting on someone to post a vid of the borlas and quads together hmmmm
I'd like to hear that combo too...been eyeing the side exhaust, but would want to make sure it sounds good with my Stingers, cuz I love the way my Stingers sound.
Old 2/18/13, 07:16 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by UMich97
I'd like to hear that combo too...been eyeing the side exhaust, but would want to make sure it sounds good with my Stingers, cuz I love the way my Stingers sound.
Yeah me too. Overboost ( mod here ) has them, but still has not posted a vid. I've been asking for almost a year.
Old 2/18/13, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I vote keep your car...youve already started modifying it and pampering it to your liking. Go with the supercharger...having Ford install a kit isnt much more than anyother shop and you keep the warranty. While I love a GT500, if you get one. Thats all you have is another stock GT500 that rolled off the showroom floor. Where the GT will be yours modified how you like it and still have the power to boot. There are plenty of people running modest boost and having no issues on the 5.0
Old 2/18/13, 10:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Well

Either way you'll still enjoy the car.

When I modded my 07 GT I was always kicking myself for not getting a Shelby to start with. When I got the Shelby I was glad I had the experience of modding the GT and making it my own. Either way it comes down to money. The mods I put into the GT aren't worth a darn to anyone on the car.

But I wouldn't change a thing. I love both cars. And I loved doing the supercharger and all the mods myself. I still buy mods for the GT now and then. And the Shelby as of now has none. And the Shelby is quicker and faster than my GT which is 479 to the wheels.

The Shelby transmission is another benefit though. It's not just about the motor.
Old 2/18/13, 10:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang
Go with the supercharger...having Ford install a kit isnt much more than anyother shop and you keep the warranty.
The way I understand it is that you don't keep your warranty. Your 5 year/60K mile engine and drivetrain warranty is replaced by a 12 month/12K mile warranty, and only with the 525 hp kit, no warranty with the 624 hp kit. It has to be installed by an authorized Ford dealer before the car hits 24K miles or within 24 months of purchase and only covers parts, not labor. Maximum liability is $8000, $5000 for engine, $1500 each for trans and rearend.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/18/13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 2/19/13, 04:16 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well

Either way you'll still enjoy the car.

When I modded my 07 GT I was always kicking myself for not getting a Shelby to start with. When I got the Shelby I was glad I had the experience of modding the GT and making it my own. Either way it comes down to money. The mods I put into the GT aren't worth a darn to anyone on the car.

But I wouldn't change a thing. I love both cars. And I loved doing the supercharger and all the mods myself. I still buy mods for the GT now and then. And the Shelby as of now has none. And the Shelby is quicker and faster than my GT which is 479 to the wheels.

The Shelby transmission is another benefit though. It's not just about the motor.
I understand... Good points. At some point, if I do go the supercharged route, I will eventually have to upgrade more parts like the tranny and suspension and brakes etc... But I truly have no intention of tracking it nor abusing it. If you guys knew me personally as do my friends, you'll know that I'm the type of person that you would want to buy a car that I've owned, with almost no question on history etc... I'm meticulous and baby cars like they're my own child lol. So the tranny upgrade, tho nice, may not even be necessary.

One could say, "then why are you getting a 525 or 625 hp supercharger if you have no intention of using it?". But that's the whole point.. Just to have... I'll maybe occasionally romp it, but that's about it. Lol

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

The way I understand it is that you don't keep your warranty. Your 5 year/60K mile engine and drivetrain warranty is replaced by a 12 month/12K mile warranty, and only with the 525 hp kit, no warranty with the 624 hp kit. It has to be installed by an authorized Ford dealer before the car hits 24K miles or within 24 months of purchase and only covers parts, not labor. Maximum liability is $8000, $5000 for engine, $1500 each for trans and rearend.
Any info on the roush kits? I understand that these kits also fall in the same category?
Old 2/19/13, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Thanks. Did not know the specifics. Def didn't know it super ceded the factory warranty.
Old 2/19/13, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I understand... Good points. At some point, if I do go the supercharged route, I will eventually have to upgrade more parts like the tranny and suspension and brakes etc... But I truly have no intention of tracking it nor abusing it. If you guys knew me personally as do my friends, you'll know that I'm the type of person that you would want to buy a car that I've owned, with almost no question on history etc... I'm meticulous and baby cars like they're my own child lol. So the tranny upgrade, tho nice, may not even be necessary.

One could say, "then why are you getting a 525 or 625 hp supercharger if you have no intention of using it?". But that's the whole point.. Just to have... I'll maybe occasionally romp it, but that's about it. Lol

Any info on the roush kits? I understand that these kits also fall in the same category?
If you don't mind spending the 7k plus to install a supercharger for the whole point of JUST TO HAVE , then go for it boss. I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on something you don't use but occasionally romp on it. I guess its like having a 15 inch implant schwantz. No woman really wants it but makes you feel important in the world to say you have it. I feel ya bro. I guess you will feel like the man having the supercharger even though you won't use it but occasionally. Lol.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/19/13 at 09:18 AM.
Old 2/19/13, 11:54 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Thanks. Did not know the specifics. Def didn't know it super ceded the factory warranty.
No idea about the Roush kits, I never looked into one of theirs. That was just some of the stuff I found out while researching the FRPP kits when I was trying to decide whether to supercharge my Shelby GT or buy a GT500.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...erchargers.pdf
Old 2/19/13, 01:11 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm late to this thread but definitely go for the Shelby. Your GT will be maxed out at stock Shelby power. Nuff said.
Old 2/19/13, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I guess its like having a 15 inch implant schwantz. No woman really wants it but makes you feel important in the world to say you have it.
Old 2/19/13, 09:03 PM
I Have No Life

If you don't mind spending the 7k plus to install a supercharger for the whole point of JUST TO HAVE , then go for it boss. I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on something you don't use but occasionally romp on it. I guess its like having a 15 inch implant schwantz. No woman really wants it but makes you feel important in the world to say you have it. I feel ya bro. I guess you will feel like the man having the supercharger even though you won't use it but occasionally. Lol.
Though your post has some merit, it is also fundamentally flawed. If you go by that logic, why did I even need a 400+ hp muscle car in the first place? You think I use all those horses? Heck no. By your logic, we should all just buy geo metros. I have no intention of using 400+ horses except to occasionally "romp on it" as I stated earlier. For that matter, so do the MAJORITY of folks here on this forum who own a Shelby, or a simple GT for that matter. You think they all wasted 60k and 35k respectively?

I don't track. I don't drag race. I use my car to cruise. To get rid of stress after working 50 long engineering hours a week. That's my therapy. Washing it. Waxing it. Cruising in it. That's it. And having 400+ horses, and either 600+ horses on a supercharged GT or Shelby will be a much added bonus that I have saved for, worked hard for, and can afford....
Old 2/20/13, 06:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Though your post has some merit, it is also fundamentally flawed. If you go by that logic, why did I even need a 400+ hp muscle car in the first place? You think I use all those horses? Heck no. By your logic, we should all just buy geo metros. I have no intention of using 400+ horses except to occasionally "romp on it" as I stated earlier. For that matter, so do the MAJORITY of folks here on this forum who own a Shelby, or a simple GT for that matter. You think they all wasted 60k and 35k respectively?

I don't track. I don't drag race. I use my car to cruise. To get rid of stress after working 50 long engineering hours a week. That's my therapy. Washing it. Waxing it. Cruising in it. That's it. And having 400+ horses, and either 600+ horses on a supercharged GT or Shelby will be a much added bonus that I have saved for, worked hard for, and can afford....
I agree with what your saying about getting in your pony and going for a ride for therapy. Getting in the Mustang and driving around is a great feeling. Where I can't grasp the concept you speak about is to have a 400 HP plus car and drive it like a Geo metro. Why bother. I'm not saying to beat and abuse the car or engine but like my modded 11 V6, I'm going to take full advantage of the HP its got and more than just occasionally. I couldn't imagine having a 600 HP car and driving it like a Cadillac Deville. If I'm going to spend 60k on Gt500 then I'm going to darn make sure the 650 HP is going to show its head more than occasionally.

To me, there is no point in having a 400 plus HP car if your going to spend majority of time driving like you have 200 horses. Drive it like you stole it bro. You won't hurt it.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/20/13 at 06:52 AM.
Old 2/20/13, 03:14 PM
I Have No Life

I agree with what your saying about getting in your pony and going for a ride for therapy. Getting in the Mustang and driving around is a great feeling. Where I can't grasp the concept you speak about is to have a 400 HP plus car and drive it like a Geo metro. Why bother. I'm not saying to beat and abuse the car or engine but like my modded 11 V6, I'm going to take full advantage of the HP its got and more than just occasionally. I couldn't imagine having a 600 HP car and driving it like a Cadillac Deville. If I'm going to spend 60k on Gt500 then I'm going to darn make sure the 650 HP is going to show its head more than occasionally.

To me, there is no point in having a 400 plus HP car if your going to spend majority of time driving like you have 200 horses. Drive it like you stole it bro. You won't hurt it.
The only difference between what I stated previously, and what you stated (which I bolded), is the use of the word occasionally. Again, I don't track. I don't race. I don't abuse. So the ONLY time I will get to "use" any type of vehicle horsepower is when I step on the gas when I "occasionally romp it", as I stated earlier, which you quoted initially.

So by your standards, everyone is not techinically "using" their vehicle horsepower unless one is contantly flooring it. lol.

Either way.... in the end, it's whatever floats YOUR boat... and whatever floats MY boat. My question on this thread was for you all to offer a suggestion as to whether or not it would be better to get a supercharger on my existing car or a used Shelby. EITHER choice is not financially smart, let's admit. And EITHER choice, I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER use the added horsepower to FULL advantage. I know that. I accept it. And it "floats my boat".

Quick Reply: Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby