Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/13, 10:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby

UPDATE:

I did further research and thinking over the last few days... and this comparison keeps dancing in my head.

USED SHELBY = assume $45k for low mileage 1 to 2 year old.
Sell Marilyn outright or trade = $25k to $30k.
Out of pocket = $15k to $20k, plus fees/tax.

SUPERCHARGER = $6k in parts (no tax if bought online), $1.5k in installation, including tax.
Out of pocket = $8k tops.

So, talking pure monetary facts, that's almost a $10 to $15k difference between the two.

IMO, SC is the way to go....... not even counting that I'd have more hp than a stock shelby, plus Marilyn has been mine since she was born off the production line... no unknown "used" owners

My SC "itch" is fast becoming a "rash". The minute I get "hives", I'm placing an order.

=================================================

Hi all... Sorry I've been out a while. Work, sick kids, and lack of driving Marilyn (due to winter) has caused me to work on other interests for now....

But I have a question for y'all... I may have an opportunity to do one or the other in subject line. Should I supercharge her, or possibly trade her in for a slightly used 2011 to 2012 Shelby? I know it's a loaded question, but I've always loved shelbies, obviously....but I know supercharging a gt should help satisfy the urge lol. I'm thinking supercharge for 8 to 10k installed? If Shelby, I have my trade plus I can get one for around 40k?

Thoughts? Hmmmmm

Thanks guys.

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/27/13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2/14/13, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuperCharge, especially if you're planning on keeping her. Shelbys are nice, but you've already modded her to your liking (for the moment ). That's my opinion.
Old 2/14/13, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've debated the same thing from time to time, but in regards to a Boss instead of Shelby. I think if I could get a 2012 Boss LS in black for around $40k, I'd buy the Boss (or in your case, the Shelby). However, most of what I am seeing is 45+, so I'm leaning towards the supercharger. It's not an easy one though. Especially since the Boss/Shelby would have miles on it from someone other than me, so I'd really need to feel comfortable with that person before making the switch.
Old 2/14/13, 11:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Buy used Shelby? Are you mad? I can guarantee the previous owner won't have lavished as much time and effort in keeping her spotless as you have with Marilyn..........I bet you'd struggle to find one in the condition you'd want.........i.e. perfect

Personally? I'd hold onto your cash for a while. When spring arrives and you get to drive her again. Having been used to your daily driver, Marilyn will likely feel more powerful than you remember.

Old 2/15/13, 03:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Assuming you have the cash on-hand necessary to supercharge:

0) There are more GT500's on the road than supercharged Coyotes. Point to supercharging for uniqueness.

1) You won't get near what your car is actually worth if you trade it in, and you *might* if you sell it outright. If you sell (or trade-in) your car for $30k and have the $10k on hand, it's a break-even deal. Point goes to Shelby.

2) You remain in debt (and go in even deeper) if you go with the Shelby. Point goes to supercharging.

3) If you supercharge, you get the satisfaction of knowing you did something to your car to make it much faster than stock. Point goes to supercharging.

4) With a Shelby, the car is already fast, and as long as it's a 2011+ it's faster still, and you didn't have to get your hands dirty. Point goes to Shelby.

Hmmm, it's a toss-up with supercharging having the edge.
Old 2/15/13, 04:12 AM

Gentlemen

It is interesting this post came up.

I had exactly the same problem.

I ended up selling my 2011 base GT on thursday and purchasing a 2011 Shelby GT 500 SVT with 174 original miles on the clock. It is more than I expected in all areas. The ride is a bit stiffer than my Brembo equipped GT was. I have 451 miles on it now after driving it back to Arkansas from Oklahoma City where it was purchased.

This is the 550 HP aluminum block version. A really nice car. The driveline warranty is still good until oct 2015.

Copper Man
Old 2/15/13, 04:18 AM
Cobra Member

Shelby....do it bro
Old 2/15/13, 04:52 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Keep what you have and drive it a few more years. There will always be low mile Shelby's by people that stare at them instead of driving them.

You are correct to wait for the 11+ GT500. Forged internals as well compared to the GT.
Old 2/15/13, 05:12 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
SuperCharge, especially if you're planning on keeping her. Shelbys are nice, but you've already modded her to your liking (for the moment ). That's my opinion.
What's up shurt... You bring up some very good points. Right now in my opinion Marilyn is perfect. I promised myself that the only car I would give up Marilyn for Is a Shelby. So I'm quite a predicament aren't I? Lol

Originally Posted by UMich97
I've debated the same thing from time to time, but in regards to a Boss instead of Shelby. I think if I could get a 2012 Boss LS in black for around $40k, I'd buy the Boss (or in your case, the Shelby). However, most of what I am seeing is 45+, so I'm leaning towards the supercharger. It's not an easy one though. Especially since the Boss/Shelby would have miles on it from someone other than me, so I'd really need to feel comfortable with that person before making the switch.
It's interesting to see that there are other people with the same issue with me. As far as the condition of the Shelby I would think any low mileage let's say 5000 miles should be in great shape and can assume that the owner did not beat on it. But then again I could be dead wrong

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Buy used Shelby? Are you mad? I can guarantee the previous owner won't have lavished as much time and effort in keeping her spotless as you have with Marilyn..........I bet you'd struggle to find one in the condition you'd want.........i.e. perfect

Personally? I'd hold onto your cash for a while. When spring arrives and you get to drive her again. Having been used to your daily driver, Marilyn will likely feel more powerful than you remember.

What's up twin... Sorry I've been gone so long. I know what you mean about finding a car that would fit the condition that I wanted to be in, However as I stated above I hope that a very low mileage one year to two year old Shelby should be taken care of by the owner just like I did...

As far as my winter daily driver I am driving an Acura TSX so it's been a wonderful and great Car as well. Not the same power as Marilyn but the refinement is much better

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Assuming you have the cash on-hand necessary to supercharge:

0) There are more GT500's on the road than supercharged Coyotes. Point to supercharging for uniqueness.

1) You won't get near what your car is actually worth if you trade it in, and you *might* if you sell it outright. If you sell (or trade-in) your car for $30k and have the $10k on hand, it's a break-even deal. Point goes to Shelby.

2) You remain in debt (and go in even deeper) if you go with the Shelby. Point goes to supercharging.

3) If you supercharge, you get the satisfaction of knowing you did something to your car to make it much faster than stock. Point goes to supercharging.

4) With a Shelby, the car is already fast, and as long as it's a 2011+ it's faster still, and you didn't have to get your hands dirty. Point goes to Shelby.

Hmmm, it's a toss-up with supercharging having the edge.
Thank you for your points however I will not have a loan or debt currently or in the future

Originally Posted by copper man
Gentlemen

It is interesting this post came up.

I had exactly the same problem.

I ended up selling my 2011 base GT on thursday and purchasing a 2011 Shelby GT 500 SVT with 174 original miles on the clock. It is more than I expected in all areas. The ride is a bit stiffer than my Brembo equipped GT was. I have 451 miles on it now after driving it back to Arkansas from Oklahoma City where it was purchased.

This is the 550 HP aluminum block version. A really nice car. The driveline warranty is still good until oct 2015.

Copper Man
It sounds like you've been really happy with a 2011 Shelby purchase correct? No regrets?

Originally Posted by ManInABox
Shelby....do it bro
LOL man... How's it going

Originally Posted by MJJ
Keep what you have and drive it a few more years. There will always be low mile Shelby's by people that stare at them instead of driving them.

You are correct to wait for the 11+ GT500. Forged internals as well compared to the GT.
Yes if I get a Shelby it will be a Shelby 2011 or 2012

I would like to add that this winter has been especially rough I see Marilyn parked in the garage all day long all week long all month long and it pains me
Old 2/15/13, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you do it, go for the Shelby, as long as well maintained and very low miles. Do you have a certain color you really want?
Old 2/15/13, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you supercharge the 5.0 you'll outrun the pre-2013 Shelby every time. And with minimal suspension mods you will out-handle it as well. That's assuming that if you get the Shelby you will want to keep it stock / maintain its originality.
Old 2/15/13, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Don't EVER make the assumption that a low-mileage car is taken care of, especially something like a Shelby. The people that buy these cars and don't touch them aren't the kind of people that turn around and give them up a year or two later. Those people are the ones that drive by the dealership, see it in the showroom, remember the ****-head from corporate ******* on their 450+ hp Beemer, and decide to add 200 more horsepower to their ego just so they can wear a ****-eating grin at the next board meeting. Six months and 4700 stiff-riding miles and no oil change later, after realizing that the car doesn't have a talking on-board computer that drives for them while they're too busy dealing with work to actually pay attention to the road, they trade it in for half what they paid for it on a shiny new Audi/Benz/Beemer/insert famous German upper-middle-class overpriced ego massager here that doesnt get the Stink-Eye from the CEO every time he pulls into the parking garage and gets more attention than the boss' six-figure Executive ego massager does. Besides, unless you rode in the car for the first 5k miles, you're banking the car's well-being on the word of an individual about whom you probably know nothing. that's a hell of a gamble with $45k+ of your own money, not to mention any and all repairs you have to cover later. There is no way on God's green earth I would touch a performance car that has miles on it that I didn't put on myself.
Old 2/15/13, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
LOL man... How's it going
Doing great my brother! Living life and having fun! I feel for you man, i really do. To have my baby locked up for the winter would drive me insane. How have you been man?
Old 2/15/13, 08:44 AM
GT Member

She had 6.8 miles on the ODO off the truck, then had 9.6 miles when delivered to me (after dealer inspection). All was in great working order. I'm a detailer by heart and trade, so I know a thing or two about detailing (used to run my own detailing business)... so all the previous times I bought a new car, it was off the lot, so swirls/scratches from dealer techs/wash people, etc were all evident and I had to buff it out EVERY single time.

This time, despite the dirt from being on the delivery truck, etc... I told them NOT TO TOUCH THE PAINT AT ALL!!! I could see from the sun yesterday, despite the dirt, the paint was PERFECT. No swirls, no scratches no NOTHING. Virgin paint, so to speak. Dealer goes, "So you want us to detail it right?". I responded with a loud, "NO... not at all". "So you want us to deliver it to you dirty?". "YES PLEASE". You should have seen the look on their faces... haha...
Just imagine what a used car is going to be like. You'll never have perfect paint again, no matter how much you correct the DIS and Automatic car wash swirls. Don't get me wrong, it'll look good, **** good given your track record, but it'll never be "Marilyn" good.

Then there's the fact that you'll never know what happened on those used miles. Maybe a drag race or 10? Burn outs? Donuts in the parking lot?

What about just ordering a new 2014?
Old 2/15/13, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure what OP will choose, but I think everyone here just made me feel a lot better about possibly supercharging my 08.
Old 2/15/13, 11:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Or...............keep Marilyn for another couple of years and see what the rumored 2016 GT350 has to offer. It could be a cheaper offering than the 2013/14 GT500 (pure speculation on my part there!).

You'd get the extra power you want, plus it'd be brand new and unmolested
Old 2/15/13, 12:41 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Another point that I'd like to throw in the mix is that when you supercharge your GT, you'll void the power-train warranty (unless you do it through an authorized Ford/Roush dealership, read big $$). Buying a used 11-12 Shelby from a Ford dealer will usually get you a full warranty, and sometimes extended, too. Just something to think about, especially if you feel that the low-mileage Shelby might have been raced by the former owner. Plus, I track my 11 GT a few times a year, and other than tires and brakes, it's not too rough on the car, and she looks and runs perfect.
Old 2/15/13, 12:43 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Don't EVER make the assumption that a low-mileage car is taken care of, especially something like a Shelby. The people that buy these cars and don't touch them aren't the kind of people that turn around and give them up a year or two later. Those people are the ones that drive by the dealership, see it in the showroom, remember the ****-head from corporate ******* on their 450+ hp Beemer, and decide to add 200 more horsepower to their ego just so they can wear a ****-eating grin at the next board meeting. Six months and 4700 stiff-riding miles and no oil change later, after realizing that the car doesn't have a talking on-board computer that drives for them while they're too busy dealing with work to actually pay attention to the road, they trade it in for half what they paid for it on a shiny new Audi/Benz/Beemer/insert famous German upper-middle-class overpriced ego massager here that doesnt get the Stink-Eye from the CEO every time he pulls into the parking garage and gets more attention than the boss' six-figure Executive ego massager does. Besides, unless you rode in the car for the first 5k miles, you're banking the car's well-being on the word of an individual about whom you probably know nothing. that's a hell of a gamble with $45k+ of your own money, not to mention any and all repairs you have to cover later. There is no way on God's green earth I would touch a performance car that has miles on it that I didn't put on myself.
I would disagree in that I know many owners who put light miles on them and turned around and sold them within two years.

Priorities change, finances change many get OCD to the point they have trouble even driving them.

I own a 2011 Shelby and have spent way too much time on fordgt500 the past two years.

It is true there are some with 1500 miles where the owner has thrashed the tranny with the 1-2 gear jam to the point they get pissed and sell the car. The key is too get on the gt500 forum and the regulars have a darn good idea on members cars who are mint and those that have been beat to hell.
Old 2/15/13, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

I too have thought about going blown on my kona 2011. My thought now is wait and get a slightly used 2013 shelby (660+ponies ZOWZA!) or pick up a 2015 when they come out! Either way is a year or so down the road.

I also have some concern about blowing the motor on my coyote as they sometimes don't hold up to forced induction. Additionally I can't possibly get my money back on supercharging the 5.0, so going that route seems unwise, though fun and immediate.
Old 2/15/13, 04:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
if i had these two options id go with supercharging it.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: supercharge or Shelby