Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

HELP! Confused on How to update Tune

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/17, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
HELP! Confused on How to update Tune

OK Guy's, I know I've asked this similar questioned but I'm still a little confused, Here's a response to my question to SCT Tuners about how to do this right. Subject: RE: X4 Tuner Questions for Recent Purchases

Ok Keith, TJ, Randy & Matt,

I have a TUNE (Not Stock) from Steeda installed in my car rightnow, Steeda will be e-mailing me a NEWTUNE for the recent purchase/ addition of Kook's Headers and GREEN cattedH-Pipe to my car, which will be installed at a shop 20 miles away from me.
If I understand you correctly,
I must return my car to STOCK Tune with the X4Tuner, Then connect the X4 Tuner to myhome computer, Use your updater softwarefor updates, Then download Steeda's NEW TUNE into the X4 Tuner, Then that canthen be downloaded to my car from the X4 Tuner after the Header & H-Pipeinstallation. 1 1 Problem, Won't thisDAMAGE my vehicle, Seeing as how it has a STOCK Tune with Modifications?

I'm running a 93 Octane Tune from Steeda for thefollowing Mods right now:

1. Steeda Cold Air Intake, Full size with Steeda saying aTune is nessasary.
2. Boss 302 Intake Manifold.
3. BBK X-Pipe.
4. Roush Axle Backs.
This Steeda tune is KILLER and I don't want to mess thisup, the Header, H-Pipe conversion should only make it better.

Kook's Long Tube Headers 1-3/4" X 3" and Kook'sGreen catted H-Pipe will be installed to this car May 10th at a Speed Shop Iuse.

I'm confused guy's, what do I need to do to keep this carsafe?

Mark H. Bennett
24 Stevens street
South Berwick, Maine 03908
mark.h.bennett1@navy.mil
"Courage is being scared to Death but saddling upanyways": "John Wayne"

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Roberts[mailto:Keith.Roberts@derivesystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:09 AM
To: Bennett, Mark H CIV PORTS, 906
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] RE: X4 Questions
Mark,

You will need to return the vehicle to stock to updateyour device. You should not need to return to stock to switch between tunesalready the device, but you must return to stock before connecting the deviceto your computer and using the Updater software to update the device and/orload new custom tunes on to the device.
Thanks
Keith Roberts SCTSupport 407-774-2447

Old 4/20/17, 04:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Sounds like you should return to stock tune, update the device, then install the new tune per their instructions. I assume you won't be starting the car between installing the stock tune and then the new tune, so there is no potential for damage.
Old 4/20/17, 07:33 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Like Specre said, you don't run the car in between returning to the stock tune and uploading the new one. This is done to allow you to retain the stock tune in case you ever want to remove the mods and go back to it. Also, you should save the previous Steeda tune back to your computer for future use if desired.
The following 2 users liked this post by EF1:
boss man (4/21/17), MRGTX (4/21/17)
Old 4/21/17, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Like Specre said, you don't run the car in between returning to the stock tune and uploading the new one. This is done to allow you to retain the stock tune in case you ever want to remove the mods and go back to it. Also, you should save the previous Steeda tune back to your computer for future use if desired.
Thanks for the info guys.