5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help... Borla S-Type rattling my trunk area

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/13, 03:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bent them with a large pair of channel locks. Pretty easy to bend really.

I fussed over bending and tip location reworking until I had everything centered just right.

What set part number do you have? 140370?
Old 8/14/13, 11:22 AM

I am having a problem too with 140370.. I get a rattle comming from the rear of the car taking off from a stop, then comming to a stop slowly.. Its annoying as hell.. I had also just takin it back to get a rattle fixed in the front of the car. Im almost starting to regret getting these.. they dont even sound that good in my opinion.. They arent loud at all, and for the price I was expecting these things to sound oldschool. Hell I had a pair of MAC axle back exhaust on my 2008 GT and those things roared over this set up.. I had no idea so many people had a problem with this. This is truely a pain in the ***.
Old 8/14/13, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Redmi5T
I am having a problem too with 140370.. I get a rattle comming from the rear of the car taking off from a stop, then comming to a stop slowly.. Its annoying as hell.. I had also just takin it back to get a rattle fixed in the front of the car. Im almost starting to regret getting these.. they dont even sound that good in my opinion.. They arent loud at all, and for the price I was expecting these things to sound oldschool. Hell I had a pair of MAC axle back exhaust on my 2008 GT and those things roared over this set up.. I had no idea so many people had a problem with this. This is truely a pain in the ***.
I have these and have had no rattle problems. Re the sound, they're pretty loud but not overly rude. They sound really good to me. Something must be wrong with yours. I'd contact Borla to discuss it.
Old 8/14/13, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ETBassJr
I have these and have had no rattle problems. Re the sound, they're pretty loud but not overly rude. They sound really good to me. Something must be wrong with yours. I'd contact Borla to discuss it.
I figure I will bring it back by the shop that installed it one last time before I go and call borla, or just take it to a different exhaust shop. Im in Arizona and i didnt realize exhaust could be such a pain. I brought it to extreme performance tuning to get the job done and it was recommended to me by people I had had alot of work done to my previous mustang.. Not to mention about a half hour after I brought it home I was comming into my neighborhood and went over a speed bump (very slowly, as I always do) and it sounded almost like a drop or something in the exhaust came loose... I brought it back to find the ball clamp were it bolts in had evidently turned a little funny and the screw was knocking/tapping against my floor board (I could feel it big time when I accelerated) This in itself made me start to doubt the quality of the install.. That being said I see these guys working on cars with turbos and super chargers and all kinds of crazy ****, they seem insanely knowledgableand were more then willing to help me out, very cool people.. I figured this would be nothing to them.. I am a little bewildered to be honest. The sound btw is almost like stock at idle, and while cruising at speed you cant hear it at allllll.. I mean, sure when you fire it up it sounds good, then letting it sit there for the 30 secs/min for it to idle down it sounds alright, but after that it gets quiet, say driving around and comming to a stop, you wont even know you have exhaust.. Only when your accelerating do you even know you have after market exhaust, and then to me it sounds like a truck. The note is a bit deeper at an idle sure, but nothing too noticeable, IMO it sounds like maybe what the stock exhaust should have sounded like to begin with... I liked on my MACs were it was so loud I often times found myself reaching for the volume control on my car to turn it down lol, that thing sounded bad.. and it was only Axle back exhaust.. (I also never had any rattle with them at all) I got compliments on it ALL THE TIME. These havent even turned one head. Well, except my one of neighbor comming into my neighborhood. Rattles aside, im going to try and solve that issue today or tomorrow depending on work and getting in to see them.. Rattkes aside, Im wondering what kind of exhaust I would be looking for on this 5.0 to make them ever sound comparable to what I had. I had herd the stainless works ones were bad *** but in listening to them and comparing them on youtube the borlas sounded alot better to me, what im left with is dissapointment at the moment.. ill be sure to follow up tho on the rattle issue, that has got to go at the very least.

Last edited by Redmi5T; 8/14/13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 8/14/13, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Redmi5T

I figure I will bring it back by the shop that installed it one last time before I go and call borla, or just take it to a different exhaust shop. Im in Arizona and i didnt realize exhaust could be such a pain. I brought it to extreme performance tuning to get the job done and it was recommended to me by people I had had alot of work done to my previous mustang.. Not to mention about a half hour after I brought it home I was comming into my neighborhood and went over a speed bump (very slowly, as I always do) and it sounded almost like a drop or something in the exhaust came loose... I brought it back to find the ball clamp were it bolts in had evidently turned a little funny and the screw was knocking/tapping against my floor board (I could feel it big time when I accelerated) This in itself made me start to doubt the quality of the install.. That being said I see these guys working on cars with turbos and super chargers and all kinds of crazy ****, they seem insanely knowledgableand were more then willing to help me out, very cool people.. I figured this would be nothing to them.. I am a little bewildered to be honest. The sound btw is almost like stock at idle, and while cruising at speed you cant hear it at allllll.. I mean, sure when you fire it up it sounds good, then letting it sit there for the 30 secs/min for it to idle down it sounds alright, but after that it gets quiet, say driving around and comming to a stop, you wont even know you have exhaust.. Only when your accelerating do you even know you have after market exhaust, and then to me it sounds like a truck. The note is a bit deeper at an idle sure, but nothing too noticeable, IMO it sounds like maybe what the stock exhaust should have sounded like to begin with... I liked on my MACs were it was so loud I often times found myself reaching for the volume control on my car to turn it down lol, that thing sounded bad.. and it was only Axle back exhaust.. (I also never had any rattle with them at all) I got compliments on it ALL THE TIME. These havent even turned one head. Well, except my one of neighbor comming into my neighborhood. Rattles aside, im going to try and solve that issue today or tomorrow depending on work and getting in to see them.. Rattkes aside, Im wondering what kind of exhaust I would be looking for on this 5.0 to make them ever sound comparable to what I had. I had herd the stainless works ones were bad *** but in listening to them and comparing them on youtube the borlas sounded alot better to me, what im left with is dissapointment at the moment.. ill be sure to follow up tho on the rattle issue, that has got to go at the very least.
It definitely sounds like the install needs to be looked at.

Although its hard for me to know for sure, your sound description of the Borla S-type seems about right. They're somewhat mellow but deeper and louder than stock, a lot louder when you hit the accelerator. As you said it's what the 5.0 probably should be as stock. Compared to stock I find the S-type is a lot louder overall. It could just be that you were expecting them to be louder, like more of a Borla Atak system. I do get a lot of compliments. Some folks think I have the Atak. Also, friends that have followed behind have said its really loud. When I pass under overpasses and have the windows down the echo is pretty loud. I don't tailgate, yet cars in front of me seem to hear me coming. Most will change lanes and I can only guess its from the sound.

Everything is a matter of ones opinion and taste, so who knows.
Old 8/14/13, 02:57 PM

That for sure. I guess I was expecting something much louder.. all that aside, I took my car back to the shop about an hour ago and showed them RaceX27s post where he says "The exhaust expands at least 3/8in from cold to hot.

Bend those two brackets back to clear at least another 1/4in. Bend the bracket to clear and bend then hangers back down flat/straight.

I had this issue when I installed mine, it made no noise until it was warm, and then sounded like it was coming apart.

The hanger pictured was rubbing the metal."

This is exactly what the problem was. The guy at my shop took a look at the pictures I showed him on my phone with what racer said, bent it, boom. Problem gone. I took everything out of my trunk, put some padding under my plate... that was the problem. 100%. At least now I am a little happier without the rattle. The sound will never be what I wanted, at least out of these pipes.. but maybe over time Ill switch to some roush side exhaust and get this thing really *****in.. Big Thanks to Racer27, im thinking you saved me alot of time and a bit of money..
Old 8/14/13, 03:27 PM

Already got my replacements from Borla only took 2 days to get them after they heard the sound clip Monday so I cant complain about that, Borla stated on the packing slip that my mufflers were rattling internally under acceleration ........ overall the hangers had way more clearance, all but one and I took the muffler back off and bent it with a few pairs of pliers and now all looks excellent but the real test will come over the next few days

Last edited by davidminnesota; 8/14/13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 8/15/13, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Glad I could help someone!

I hope David's is that simple.
Old 8/15/13, 10:45 PM

Problem solved.... thanks RacerX27, weather it was the actual mufflers with an internal rattle or the hanger issue itself either way it sounds great now, I put 100+ miles on the car the last two days and not one rattle nothing but Borlas sweet exhaust note to hear