5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Heartthrob CB (stock mufflers) installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/11, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heartthrob CB (stock mufflers) installed

I have installed the Heartthrob kit #1429050 (S/S CB w/stock mufflers). The quality of the exhaust is great and with the stock mufflers it sounds the same to me. I do have a question/concern and am curious if anyone else has experienced this. After the car reaches operating temperature and is shut off there are, what I would describe as, loud pinging and tinging noise coming from the h-pipe and resonator area of the exhaust. The stock system did not make these noises. I also have a noise that comes from the rear when I go over a significant bump (it is a dull thump type noise). Has anyone had any of these type issues and/or clearance issues with this exhaust? Any inputs would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Heartthrob CB (stock mufflers) installed-dsc02506.jpg  
Old 1/13/11, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you saw no increase in sound when switching the cat to axle piping with the HRT one?

The stock exhaust had a dent on the resonators due to clearance, are you sure you aren't hitting the exhaust on the frame?
Old 1/13/11, 06:26 PM

The sound is the same to me. It may have a tone difference but it does not seem any louder. The HT resonators are much larger than the stock ones.

I had it up on a rack and we could not see any underbody or frame contact.

I contacted HT and they told me the pinging and tinging may be the S/S and how there resonators are constructed. The HT employee also had the same HT system but his was aluminized... he suggested that the pining and tinging noises may be caused by the overall S/S construction because his system does not make these noises.
Old 1/15/11, 02:38 PM
V6 Member

Just curious: are you planning on swapping out mufflers eventually? I think it is interesting that the HT guys say make more power with an H-pipe than an X-pipe, but it seems like everybody is including an X with their cat-back systems.

I’d love to know how your system sounds with some Borla S-Types or GT500 mufflers.
Old 1/15/11, 09:11 PM

I have not decided on what brand of muffler to install... still looking.
Old 1/20/11, 08:29 AM

I have the aluminized kit (H pipe)with no resonators and Flow Master American Thunder axle backs and I agree the sound is the same but maybe 10-15% louder. I like the HRT set up for the price it can't be beat.

So if you like the sound of your axle backs then this kit wont change the sound just increase it slightly. I am not a fan of overly loud cars (guess I am old) and so far this set up is fine for me. I was given the Flow Masters that is why I am running them, can't pass up free!
Old 5/9/11, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

I have a full aluminized setup without mufflers or resonators from heartthrob. I know the pinging sound you speak of, I attribute mine to the cats cooling off and what not. Its not something I'm worried about since a lot of exhaust have that similar sound. I also know of the thump you speak of mine is paticularly when I go over speed bumps and I think its coming from the over axle area, although there isn't much room to adjust from where they sit now. I also notice it during a drop in the road but I figure that's due to the clamps hanging low, still haven't fixed the alignment on those.
Old 5/15/11, 08:08 AM

I found the source of the thumping noise last weekend. I put the car on a lift and looked the exhaust over myself. The problem was on the drivers side pipe that goes over the axle. When I pushed up on the left side either before or after the axle the exhaust would contact the bottom of the chassis area directly above the axle tube. I re-adjusted the section between the muffler and the h-pipe connection. I basically loosened the connections, then starting from the front tightened up the connections. I was particularly careful with the angle of the clamp used on the muffler.

I have also installed Magnaflow street mufflers. Here are some before and after videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0IDDkkrjKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqk2cjYRTnw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTwh_HmjNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucknA_s47lQ
Old 5/16/11, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Exhaust pinging and popping is normal and usually goes away after a while. It's the metal expanding/contracting after heating up and cooling off. Eventually it will subside once the metal settles after enough heat cycles.

I'm still actually considering this since apparently no one can build an exhaust with good fit. May as well go with the inexpensive one and take my chances.
Old 5/16/11, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

That's what I did and am easily $500 happier!
Old 5/16/11, 09:54 AM
V6 Member

Might as well, and save money doing it. My cat back setup cost as much as some are asking just for axle-backs.