Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Had the MGW installed today

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/17, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Had the MGW installed today

Today's mod was the MGW race spec with standard throw, Boss 302 **** and boot. It went into my '14 GT.

It's amazing.

It drives like a totally different car now. It shifts better than my S2000 which is not easy to do.

The only problem is MGW's documentation leaves a little to be desired. There are no written instructions. Instead there are three videos (pre-2016 model, changes for the 2016 model and 2016 model for S550). You basically have to watch all the videos to put it together. Well, that's cool if you're doing it yourself and have plenty of time to stop and figure out what's up, but if you're paying someone it might be an issue.

So I watched the video and cobbled a guide together for my mechanic and he made it through. It was worth it.
Old 3/26/17, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yep. I got the X-spec earlier this year and had to uninstall my 2nd gen MGW first. The install video for that one no longer exists, so I had to go off 3 year old memory and watch the other 3 videos too lol. Plus the X-spec doesn't install any differently than the regular Race spec, but it obviously looks different, so trying to match up the videos with a different part while under the car on jack stands - yeah, it took me way longer than it should have. Plus I didn't have ratcheting box wrenches so I had to go out to harbor freight and pick some up, for the little bridge side mounts. And I needed a buddy to push down on the trans from inside the car because by the time I got to that point, it was about 35* and we were working in the dark.

BUT, after driving it, OH SO WORTH IT!
Old 3/27/17, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome, glad to here it made such a difference. I've been debating forever about mine and I just need to make a decision. I was thinking of just getting the Barton one since I already have the 2 post bracket, but then I see posts like this about how nice the MGW is and I reconsider. How realistic would it be to put in the MGW on jack stands in a carport? (I'm in a condo at the moment)
Old 3/27/17, 05:08 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Installing a shifter on the driveway isn't that bad. I have the previous version of the MGW (not the race spec) and put it in on jack stands in my driveway. I have a garage, but it was easier to do it outside than to clean out the garage to fit the car in it.
Old 3/27/17, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EF1
Installing a shifter on the driveway isn't that bad. I have the previous version of the MGW (not the race spec) and put it in on jack stands in my driveway. I have a garage, but it was easier to do it outside than to clean out the garage to fit the car in it.
Even though the pre-Race Spec is more parts, I think the install was easier. It was a one man job. The Race/X Spec are much easier if you have another pair of hands. I did the 2nd gen install by myself on jack stands no problem. I did the X-Spec install 90% by myself but outside in the cold, I needed a buddy to help my pull the trans down to get to the top shift rod bolt.
The following users liked this post:
05PRMTX (3/28/17)
Old 3/27/17, 05:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Even though the pre-Race Spec is more parts, I think the install was easier. It was a one man job. The Race/X Spec are much easier if you have another pair of hands. I did the 2nd gen install by myself on jack stands no problem. I did the X-Spec install 90% by myself but outside in the cold, I needed a buddy to help my pull the trans down to get to the top shift rod bolt.
How much difference in the feel of the gen 2 and the race spec? I bought mine before the race spec was available and have been curious on how much difference it makes.
Old 3/27/17, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EF1
How much difference in the feel of the gen 2 and the race spec? I bought mine before the race spec was available and have been curious on how much difference it makes.
Honestly the feel didn't change that much. The throw is a little shorter. However, the precision is MUCH higher. I still had some lockout and miss shifts with the 2nd gen. With the X-spec, I've had zero. None. It's solidly mounted to the trans now and is not mounted to the body of the car at all. Not to mention that stupid boot of the older model - mine was torn so I could hear a lot of trans gear whine. More of a byproduct of me installing the new one without tearing the stock boot, but the new one is quieter on MY install lol. There is some additional vibration, but it doesn't bother me at all. If anything it adds to the connected feeling.
Old 3/27/17, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm also given to understand that removing the driveshaft is an option. But that's easy to say when you paid the dealer to do it.

Originally Posted by EF1
When I nailed that high RPM 2-3 shift (breaking the tires loose at 50+ mph), that's when I knew I made the right call for sure.
The following users liked this post:
05PRMTX (3/28/17)
Old 3/28/17, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Honestly the feel didn't change that much. The throw is a little shorter. However, the precision is MUCH higher. I still had some lockout and miss shifts with the 2nd gen. With the X-spec, I've had zero. None. It's solidly mounted to the trans now and is not mounted to the body of the car at all. Not to mention that stupid boot of the older model - mine was torn so I could hear a lot of trans gear whine. More of a byproduct of me installing the new one without tearing the stock boot, but the new one is quieter on MY install lol. There is some additional vibration, but it doesn't bother me at all. If anything it adds to the connected feeling.
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I'm also given to understand that removing the driveshaft is an option. But that's easy to say when you paid the dealer to do it.

When I nailed that high RPM 2-3 shift (breaking the tires loose at 50+ mph), that's when I knew I made the right call for sure.
Huh, well I think that has made the decision pretty clear for me...I can accept some added vibration if it means not missing shifts anymore

Also thats for the heads upon the install stuff. I'll look through the install videos to see if I want to give it a go myself(which I would like to do).

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/28/17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 3/28/17, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW as laserred said, there is some additional vibration. This is limited to the shift handle. There is no noticeable NVH to the body, and the vibration in the shift handle is what you'd experience from a "normal" transmission. My S2000 is exactly the same, and so was any manual I've ever owned (this is my fifth).

Next stop is suspension. It's a nice car, just... Some assembly required.
Old 3/28/17, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
BTW as laserred said, there is some additional vibration. This is limited to the shift handle. There is no noticeable NVH to the body, and the vibration in the shift handle is what you'd experience from a "normal" transmission. My S2000 is exactly the same, and so was any manual I've ever owned (this is my fifth).

Next stop is suspension. It's a nice car, just... Some assembly required.