5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT500 exhaust installed, barely 24 hrs of ownership :)

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/11, 09:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Talking GT500 exhaust installed, barely 24 hrs of ownership :)

Well... I was on the fence about banging this out tonight since I wouldn't have started until 6 or 7, but I did it anyways. It's funny to think that the car had just 6.8 miles on the ODO yesterday, now it has 70 miles, and a new exhaust! haha. Let the MODDING begin

Install time should have been less than 2 hours, but I spent some time straightening out the exhaust pipe that connects to the over the axle pipes. It seemed to have been bent through shipping, etc. Fixed that up, then finished the install. Figuring out how to best tackle the exhaust hanger bolts was the key. Starting from the driver side, I was much quicker on the passenger side. Essentially, loosed the rear end bolts, then loosen the clamp, then loosen the remaining exhaust hangar bolts, and voila! Repeat on other side.

Impressions: I made sure the tips lined up evenly front to back, side to side.... I like the single walled tips. Reminds me of older muscle cars... aggressive. Start up was great! Noticeable louder than stock, but in a deep throatier way. Wife walks in to garage as I asked her to help step on the gas as I check for leaks. She goes, "That's scary!"... LOL. I looked at her with puzzlement. I took it to mean it sounds beefier

Took her for a spin, and I love it. It's not too loud and not too soft, as expected. It's the goldilocks of exhausts... juuuuuuust right

For those of you looking for a great exhaust (factory too, might I add), that is a little more aggressive than stock, but not obnoxiously loud, look no further than the GT500's.

Here's a 2 minute or so video I shot tonight (be sure to watch it in HD!)... I tried not to wake the neighbors too much.. lol. Comments appreciated... Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkW4hj69bHo

Last edited by FromZto5; 11/16/11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11/17/11, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Well... I was on the fence about banging this out tonight since I wouldn't have started until 6 or 7, but I did it anyways. It's funny to think that the car had just 6.8 miles on the ODO yesterday, now it has 70 miles, and a new exhaust! haha. Let the MODDING begin

Install time should have been less than 2 hours, but I spent some time straightening out the exhaust pipe that connects to the over the axle pipes. It seemed to have been bent through shipping, etc. Fixed that up, then finished the install. Figuring out how to best tackle the exhaust hanger bolts was the key. Starting from the driver side, I was much quicker on the passenger side. Essentially, loosed the rear end bolts, then loosen the clamp, then loosen the remaining exhaust hangar bolts, and voila! Repeat on other side.

Impressions: I made sure the tips lined up evenly front to back, side to side.... I like the single walled tips. Reminds me of older muscle cars... aggressive. Start up was great! Noticeable louder than stock, but in a deep throatier way. Wife walks in to garage as I asked her to help step on the gas as I check for leaks. She goes, "That's scary!"... LOL. I looked at her with puzzlement. I took it to mean it sounds beefier

Took her for a spin, and I love it. It's not too loud and not too soft, as expected. It's the goldilocks of exhausts... juuuuuuust right

For those of you looking for a great exhaust (factory too, might I add), that is a little more aggressive than stock, but not obnoxiously loud, look no further than the GT500's.

Here's a 2 minute or so video I shot tonight (be sure to watch it in HD!)... I tried not to wake the neighbors too much.. lol. Comments appreciated... Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkW4hj69bHo
Congrats and glad you like the mufflers. Curious though, which pipe did you straighten out? The Resonators have a production flat spot in them but only visible on the drivers side. The passenger side had the same indentation on the top side. Is this what you are talking about?
Old 11/17/11, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Congrats and glad you like the mufflers. Curious though, which pipe did you straighten out? The Resonators have a production flat spot in them but only visible on the drivers side. The passenger side had the same indentation on the top side. Is this what you are talking about?
From what it sounds like he straightened out the pipe coming off the muffler itself.

Glad you like them.....now crawl under there and spray them black (all but the tips!
Old 11/17/11, 08:37 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Uin2it
From what it sounds like he straightened out the pipe coming off the muffler itself.

Glad you like them.....now crawl under there and spray them black (all but the tips!
That is correct! The pipes on the muffler itself, that came new, and had a flat spot. WTF. But yeah, I got it all good and clamped and no leaks... knock on wood. I love the sound. Manly. Not sure if necessary to remove resonators?
Old 11/17/11, 09:23 AM
V6 Member

Over the next couple of weeks, the sound will change, and the mufflers will get somewhat louder (and better sounding) as the filament breaks in.
Old 11/17/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is correct! The pipes on the muffler itself, that came new, and had a flat spot. WTF. But yeah, I got it all good and clamped and no leaks... knock on wood. I love the sound. Manly. Not sure if necessary to remove resonators?
Oh ok. Sorry, I have just seen too many threads where guys get all tweaked about the resonators. Glad you like them.

Originally Posted by eas9898
Over the next couple of weeks, the sound will change, and the mufflers will get somewhat louder (and better sounding) as the filament breaks in.
+1, but it still wore off on me and I needed more.
Old 11/17/11, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!!
Old 11/17/11, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds great! Glad you like them. Excellent color choice on the mustang as well! Im biased!
Old 11/17/11, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The exhaust on the 2011+ GT is to quite. I can barely hear one when it rolls. Does not sound like a Mustang should. If I get a 2013 or 14 to refresh my 2008 GT, I would think the first mod would be the FRPP kit. Mufflers to fix the sound and the tune to fix the skip shift nonsense.
Old 11/17/11, 10:44 PM
I Have No Life

Oh ok. Sorry, I have just seen too many threads where guys get all tweaked about the resonators. Glad you like them.

How do u like yours with no res? Not too loud and still not drone?

Originally Posted by RobDis
Sounds great! Glad you like them. Excellent color choice on the mustang as well! Im biased!
Thx Rob! U have no res too right?
Old 11/18/11, 05:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Love it, and I posted the 3 vids in the other thread, remember. The mufflers do not have any drone characteristic to them. If you like your axleback now, give it a couple weeks and it will get better.
Old 11/18/11, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thx Rob! U have no res too right?
No resonators here. I never had mine installed with the resonators so I cant witness that they get louder without them. I can hear a difference in the youtube videos however.
Old 11/18/11, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

They sound pretty good. I'm holding out for the Boss exhaust, I love those side pipes.
Old 11/18/11, 11:49 AM
I Have No Life

Love it, and I posted the 3 vids in the other thread, remember. The mufflers do not have any drone characteristic to them. If you like your axleback now, give it a couple weeks and it will get better.
I will do that. Hopefully a tad louder once broken in.
Old 11/18/11, 11:50 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RobDis

No resonators here. I never had mine installed with the resonators so I cant witness that they get louder without them. I can hear a difference in the youtube videos however.
I'm really thinking about getting that done. Maybe after my 2 week break-in period?
Old 11/18/11, 11:50 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
They sound pretty good. I'm holding out for the Boss exhaust, I love those side pipes.
These fit 2012 gts?
Old 11/18/11, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Look in the classified's their are roush AB's for 375$ they are louder than the gt 500's and sound better IMO.
Old 11/18/11, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
Look in the classified's their are roush AB's for 375$ they are louder than the gt 500's and sound better IMO.

I was saying that the resonators needed to come off, as with it still seemed to quiet.
Old 11/18/11, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Congrats, those are great mufflers. They were my first mod in my '11 last year and I transferred them to my '12 when I switch from '11 vert to '12 coupe this year.

I agree re the huge single-walled organ pipe looking old school muscle.

I disagree with the poster who said to paint all but the tips black. That is a matter of personal preference, mine being to leave them as-is. But it's your car, do what you want.
Old 11/18/11, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

very nice

Quick Reply: GT500 exhaust installed, barely 24 hrs of ownership :)