5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

GT500 axleback installed. Pics, impressions, etc

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/11, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I need to do these.....Just got back from a 1200 mile weekend and the Bassani's kinda wore on me. While they sound absolutely great around town, long trips are another thing. Put the stockers back on yesterday to help me decide whether to sell these or not..
Old 5/13/11, 09:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Modshack
I think I need to do these.....Just got back from a 1200 mile weekend and the Bassani's kinda wore on me. While they sound absolutely great around town, long trips are another thing. Put the stockers back on yesterday to help me decide whether to sell these or not..
I think I know what you mean here. I had SLP Loudmouth on my 2009 and I would flop back and forth between loving them and wanting to run something else depending on the circumstances...like a long drive.

The thing with the GT500 exhaust, IMO is that they're kinda "grown up." They do have excellent quality sound but they are restrained and mellow...never too brash or annoying There will be days where you want more...there will be days when they're perfection. Just know that going in.

Today...I want more.

Fortunately, they're relatively cheap....Unfortunately, they're too much of a hassle to swap on and off on a regular basis.
Old 5/13/11, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I think I know what you mean here. I had SLP Loudmouth on my 2009 and I would flop back and forth between loving them and wanting to run something else depending on the circumstances...like a long drive.

The thing with the GT500 exhaust, IMO is that they're kinda "grown up." They do have excellent quality sound but they are restrained and mellow...never too brash or annoying There will be days where you want more...there will be days when they're perfection. Just know that going in.

Today...I want more.

Fortunately, they're relatively cheap....Unfortunately, they're too much of a hassle to swap on and off on a regular basis.
Yeah...That's pretty much it. I spent some time last weekend in an Audi S5 with a very sophisticated Miltek exhaust we had just installed. Very refined and classy... Unfortunately swapping back and forth is even more difficult on my car with the Watts link installed...Maybe I should just get the GT500's and forget it...
Old 5/13/11, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Yeah...That's pretty much it. I spent some time last weekend in an Audi S5 with a very sophisticated Miltek exhaust we had just installed. Very refined and classy... Unfortunately swapping back and forth is even more difficult on my car with the Watts link installed...Maybe I should just get the GT500's and forget it...
GT500's and electric cutouts
Old 5/13/11, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
That would be the best of both worlds.

Has anyone attempted this yet?

How do the BOSS cut outs work?
Old 5/13/11, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not a bad plan...QTC makes some nice ones.
When I had my '08 Corvette I had the switchable exhaust and it was the best of both worlds when you put in a Manual controller switch..
Old 5/13/11, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

How do the BOSS cut outs work?
The Boss system is just T'd off to either side at the H pipe junction... Noise is increased by manually removing a covering plate out near the side exits.
Old 5/22/11, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

bump for a video.

It was kinda early in the morning so I didn't want to rev it real hard. negihbors on one side of me are kinda **** about pretty much everything I do. (they filed a complaint with the home owners association because one of my wheels of my other car was 3 inches off my driveway in the grass) Home owners association sent me a letter requesting me that I not park my car on my lawn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cetX6i5G2ME
Old 5/22/11, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they filed a complaint with the home owners association because one of my wheels of my other car was 3 inches off my driveway in the grass) Home owners association sent me a letter requesting me that I not park my car on my lawn

OMG! I would hate to live there, that's worse than living in an apt.
Old 5/22/11, 07:24 AM
GT Member

I had the Roush abs. I really liked the sound. I added an O/R X and it sounded horrible together. LOUD cracking and popping everywhere. I got a set of GT 500s and they sound great with the O/R X. NO DRONE at all. Quiet but deep idle. Even a neutral rev is kinda of quiet. In gear and under load it has a great tuned performance sound.

@OP nice write up.
Old 6/2/11, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did this video a few days ago. I have the GT500 axlebacks with the mid-pipes from the GT500 as well. The difference in the mid-pipes is no resonators on the GT500's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XK40...el_video_title
Old 6/2/11, 09:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In for later
Old 6/2/11, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RobDis
Did this video a few days ago. I have the GT500 axlebacks with the mid-pipes from the GT500 as well. The difference in the mid-pipes is no resonators on the GT500's.

Sounds killer! Adding the mid-pipes just jumped onto my wishlist. I've been totally happy with just the axlebacks but I'm really digging the added tone quality. Now we need somebody to throw the Boss mid-pipes on so we can see how that setup sounds. I'd do it if I could get my hands on a set, but I can't imagine anyone with Boss 302s ditching their midpipes.

How would you compare the volume output, against say Roush, Borla, or stock?
Old 6/2/11, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

That's just about perfect! Excellent tone!!
Old 6/2/11, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by druice
Sounds killer! Adding the mid-pipes just jumped onto my wishlist. I've been totally happy with just the axlebacks but I'm really digging the added tone quality. Now we need somebody to throw the Boss mid-pipes on so we can see how that setup sounds. I'd do it if I could get my hands on a set, but I can't imagine anyone with Boss 302s ditching their midpipes.

How would you compare the volume output, against say Roush, Borla, or stock?
Well i compared my sotck mid-pipes to the GT500 and there wasnt any difference in diameter. The only thing was there were no resonators. A muffler shop can cut the resonators out of your mid pipes for about $50 and replace them with some straight pipe. And if you dont like the sound you can always have them weld them back in.

The only camparisons that I have are Youtube videos which can be different depending on the camera used. There is a great video of the GT500 vs Roush vs Hushpowers on youtube. But i dont know if the guy didnt have resonators or not. From the videos i have heard i think the volume and tone is like the Borla Touring mufflers. I just listened to my video in Windows Media Player and played the Borla touring video in Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayemxBdI0bc) and they sound very close. As a matter of fact i saw somewhere online that the GT500 stock mufflers are called Touring mufflers. The roush are definitely louder and the Flowmasters seem to be deeper but about the same volume. Here is a video from another forum by a member there that did a great comparison video of the 3 exahusts together.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...id-x-pipe.html

What do you guys think?
Old 6/2/11, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Well i compared my sotck mid-pipes to the GT500 and there wasnt any difference in diameter. The only thing was there were no resonators. A muffler shop can cut the resonators out of your mid pipes for about $50 and replace them with some straight pipe. And if you dont like the sound you can always have them weld them back in.

The only camparisons that I have are Youtube videos which can be different depending on the camera used. There is a great video of the GT500 vs Roush vs Hushpowers on youtube. But i dont know if the guy didnt have resonators or not. From the videos i have heard i think the volume and tone is like the Borla Touring mufflers. I just listened to my video in Windows Media Player and played the Borla touring video in Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayemxBdI0bc) and they sound very close. As a matter of fact i saw somewhere online that the GT500 stock mufflers are called Touring mufflers. The roush are definitely louder and the Flowmasters seem to be deeper but about the same volume. Here is a video from another forum by a member there that did a great comparison video of the 3 exahusts together.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...id-x-pipe.html

What do you guys think?
Thanks for sharing those links, that was a great comparison vid of the 3 sets (although he did have a X-pipe). Despite youtube's compression you still get a pretty good idea about the tonal quality of the different mufflers.

I spent a long time trying to figure out what I wanted last year. I wanted something louder and more classic sounding than stock, but I didn't want something blatantly aftermarket-loud. The GT500s fit the bill perfectly for me since I felt Roush or Borlas would be too loud (I prefer being able to fly under the radar). After hearing your vid without the resonators I'm rethinking whether or not I'm "done" with the exhaust. It's an awesome tone that's got great range and it sounds clean, no raspiness or excessive popping. If taking out the resonators doesn't boost the volume too much, I might pull the trigger.

Yours is the first I've heard with GT500s minus the resonators. By far my favorite to date.
Old 6/2/11, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by druice
Thanks for sharing those links, that was a great comparison vid of the 3 sets (although he did have a X-pipe). Despite youtube's compression you still get a pretty good idea about the tonal quality of the different mufflers.

I spent a long time trying to figure out what I wanted last year. I wanted something louder and more classic sounding than stock, but I didn't want something blatantly aftermarket-loud. The GT500s fit the bill perfectly for me since I felt Roush or Borlas would be too loud (I prefer being able to fly under the radar). After hearing your vid without the resonators I'm rethinking whether or not I'm "done" with the exhaust. It's an awesome tone that's got great range and it sounds clean, no raspiness or excessive popping. If taking out the resonators doesn't boost the volume too much, I might pull the trigger.

Yours is the first I've heard with GT500s minus the resonators. By far my favorite to date.
Cool deal! I was hoping my exhaust vid would help someone! The compression isnt really that bad i compared my original vid to the youtube and it isnt far off. The resonator delete is a relatively easy and cheap mod and of course if you dont like it you can have them welded back in thats the cool part!
Old 6/3/11, 05:57 AM

Tell me about any drone with the resonators deleted.
Old 6/3/11, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Tell me about any drone with the resonators deleted.
None whatsoever! Like some of the previous posts have said about the GT500's, after you hit 6th gear and are cruising at 60 to 80 mph, the car goes silent. You only hear the exhaust when you are going through the gears. When I get home I'll do a video from inside the car to demonstrate. But it really is the best of both worlds. Its loud when you want it to be (when you are in the throttle) and quiet when you are just cruising. I drive 4.5 hours to work each week all interstate and major highway, as high as 80 mph and once you hit 6th gear its like you have stock exhaust. But drop into 5th to pass and it comes alive. But its not obnoxiously loud. I thought I wanted Flowmaster hushpowers because I wanted louder than stock but not so loud that I have to worry about bothering my neighbors. The sound from the GT500's isnt quite as deep as the FM but I like this sound and its easily the best mod Ive done to my car yet! And they are 50 state legal. Now I havent gotten mine tested but that is something I might do this week as well. I can get my hands on a decibel meter and ill test it out at different distances and post the results here.

I got lucky and got the pipes that go from the H-pipe back as well with this setup and just decided to go ahead and use them instead of the stock ones that have the resonators so I have no comparison to show anyone but i have listened to cars on Youtube that have all stock except the axleback GT500's and they do sound different than mine. Just before I got this exhaust a friend of mine suggested I have an exhaust shop cut the resonators out. He said a muffler shop would charge me $50 and weld some straight pipe in their place. He also said the guy would let me drive the car around the block and if i didnt like it he would put the resonators back in. And keep the money of course. But still thats cheaper then buying the pipes new. And he said it would make the exhaust louder. I didnt do it because I found this exhaust and didnt need to.
Old 6/5/11, 01:38 PM

Good to know!