5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Going from one tune to another- reset to factory first?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/15, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Going from one tune to another- reset to factory first?

The Steeda CAI / Bama tune package FINALLY came back in stock at AM (been waiting a month), so I took the plunge and should have everything here over the next week.

My question pertains to switching tunes. Currently, I have the Ford Racing Procal tune installed (and I still have the Procal unit, which I believe has my stock tune backed up on the chip).

So, when I go to install the Bama tune, should I reload the factory tune from the Procal first, or just load the Bama tune over the Ford Racing tune? My understanding is the tuning device will store the tune that is currently on there (which would be the Ford Racing tune) before installing the Bama tune. I don't plan on getting ride of the Procal tool, so I guess I would still have the factory tune there if I ever needed to go back to stock, correct?

BTW, I thought the tuning device was the X4, but it turns out it was a Diablo- the fellow at Bama was happy to switch me to the X4, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the 93 octane Bama racing tune performs.
Old 4/15/15, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would always return to stock before loading a new tune.
Old 4/15/15, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Did you ever dyno your car or run it at the 1/4 mile?
I would love to hear a true side by side comparison, from a non biased customer.
Old 4/15/15, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just updated my tune to Bamas V2 tune. My directions were to reinstall the stock tune before loading the new tune. I also have the Steeda CAI, and Bama V2 tune. Im thrilled with both.
Old 4/16/15, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You do NOT have to install the stock tune before loading the new tune. Its a waste of time.

Should I get technical?

-Matt
Old 4/16/15, 09:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation

Should I get technical?

-Matt
Sure.

Not that I don't believe you... But why not?
Old 4/16/15, 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I was told by AM that it is not necessary to go back to stock when changing tunes.
Old 4/16/15, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Sure.

Not that I don't believe you... But why not?
First READ THIS

When you are uploading a tune, you are just replacing a portion of the firmware in the ECU. When the upload process is complete, the ECU is reset.

If you were to load the stock tune in first, it would just end up getting replace byte by byte with the new tune. Nothing else changes.

Therefore, its not needed

-Matt
Old 4/16/15, 10:27 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
The only reason I can see to go stock first is if you are using a different tuner altogether and want to unlock the installed tuner before using the next one.
Old 4/16/15, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only reason I can see to go stock first is if you are using a different tuner altogether and want to unlock the installed tuner before using the next one.

Whoa- you lost me... I think. By "unlock," do you mean return the tuner to a state where it can be used on another car? As mentioned, I still have the Procal Tuner (it doesn't seem to let you do much, but I figured I could at least read/clear codes with it if the need ever arose). I'll be going to the SCT X/4 (or whatever its called) tuner to load the Bama tune.

My presumption is when I go to load the Bama tune, the new device will store the tune it is replacing (which is the Ford Racing Procal tune). Since the Procal was installed at the dealer, all I ever need to be able to do is return to it- not the factory tune.
Old 4/17/15, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up my 2015 5.0 last weekend. Is there a tune kit for this vehicle yet?
Old 4/17/15, 05:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Leosim
Just picked up my 2015 5.0 last weekend. Is there a tune kit for this vehicle yet?

Yep..... search the aftermarket, there are many companies offering tunes. Also checkout the 2015 forum.
Old 4/17/15, 06:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux

Whoa- you lost me... I think. By "unlock," do you mean return the tuner to a state where it can be used on another car?

That is exactly what I meant.
Old 4/18/15, 06:20 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told that it is necessary to return to stock every time you want to upload a new tune, and that's what I will be doing once I switch tunes.
Old 4/18/15, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BLK STANG
I was told that it is necessary to return to stock every time you want to upload a new tune, and that's what I will be doing once I switch tunes.
Did a big name tuner tell you that?

Its not necessary.
Old 4/18/15, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
You do NOT have to install the stock tune before loading the new tune. Its a waste of time.

Should I get technical?

-Matt
^^ this. I've never returned to stock in between tunes for the last 7 years and have never had a problem.
Old 4/18/15, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

One other question (well, one of many I'm sure)...

When I filled out the form with Bama, I didn't need to enter my VIN- just the four digit code off the ECU. When I ordered the tune from Ford Racing, I needed both the ECU code and the VIN.

Why doesn't Bama need the VIN? Will the VIN imprint itself on the tuning device when I hook it up (I think these things usually set themselves to work only on the car they are hooked up to)?
Old 4/21/15, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I had to talk to SCT I never went back to stock first. This last time I went to update the device and it locked. I called them and the first thing he asked is "did you return the car to stock" and I said not I haven't messed with the car yet, just trying to update the device. The thing is though and he explained the stock tune was on the locked device. He said I may have to pay $150.00 for them to unlock it to get the stock tune. Long story short he said always return to stock first so that's what I did and of course it worked after they straightened out all the other technical issues I was having. I will probably always go back to stock first now just to be safe if they ever ask when something goes wrong. It says everywhere on their site, in the email from Bama etc to go back to stock first and he mentioned that to me. Either way it won't hurt it if you don't but if the transfer fails then you could run into problems possibly. That's my $0.02