Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ghost Cam Idle Tune - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V - Bama Custom Tuning Preview

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/11, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K920Kxq3eLY

Check out this preview of the new "Ghost Cams" custom tune from Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle.com. Want your 2011 Mustang GT to sound like it's got aftermarket cams? Simply give the Bama team a call and they'll hook you up!

*This will not be available for another week or so!

- Currently only works on 2011-2012 Mustang GTs
- Will not increase or decrease Performance and is strictly for sound

Bama Custom Tuning | 888.226.9764 | Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST
Old 4/6/11, 01:43 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Got a couple of questions completely out of curiosity:
1.) How's the driveability issue coming along? I noticed in one of the YouTube comments that it wasn't playing nice with automatics.
2.) Since it causes some issues, I'm wondering if whatever is done to give it that sound is still a safe tune?
3.) You said that it is strictly for sound. So you can *either* have this tune for the idle sound only OR have a performance tune with regular idle sound? Or is it a "feature" added to a performance tune?

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 4/6/11 at 03:03 AM.
Old 4/6/11, 04:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most would not mind the drivability if the tune actually added power to the car. If you gained 10rwhp most would over look the bucking.
Old 4/6/11, 05:24 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you still get the same 93 performance tune and power gains like the normal tune when you hit the gas. I doubt Bama would release a tune that would cause harm to the engine. If Ford is doing this with the Boss it should work in a similar way but we don't get a track key.
Old 4/6/11, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

gets in line...... i am first in line!!!
Old 4/6/11, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm gonna quote some of my posts from other forums below:

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
The car this was filmed on is an auto. We've done 90% of our testing on an auto and the rest on a manual local guy.

Here's another part of the whole "will this be available with the Street, Performance or Race" saga. In order to keep from having "bucking" or "bogging" with this, the throttle response needs to be fairly aggressive so it can rev up a little more on take-off to compensate. Basically, it's like driving an automatic car that has a cam too big for the stock converter, not being a smart ***. The manual is better, because they just go a little heavier on the right foot and a little softer on the left foot - problem solved!

So it might have to be something where it's only available on the Race tune in that respect.

People are expecting this thing to come out and have perfect stock-like driveability, when that's just never going to happen... regardless of the tuning. It's going to be DECENT, but even "good" or "decent" or "bad" driveability is subjective. A young punk kid (like me ) is going to think it "drives like **** compared to my dads 03 cobra with cams". An experienced muscle-head from the 60s (sorry "old farts" ) are going to know how it feels to drive a car with a large cam and a stock converter and they might say "it's liveable". Everything is subjective and there's 100 opinions for everything.

We're hoping to offer this with as close to stock like driveability as possible. That's why we've taken so long to bring it to the table (among a few parameters that were missing, but they were necessary for driveability and idle quality). We wanted to refine it the best we could before offering it up to the public. You can see how widespread the panic is because "it drives a little rough with an auto" becomes "you're crazy, i heard its completely #@%'!ed on an auto" with a little whisper down the lane.
Old 4/6/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

A few more answers from the other threads...

RadarDoc:Is the ghost cam recommended only if you're running an off-road pipe?

So, Ford is running this with the Boss, but the "lope" is much more conservative. I think this is probably a novelty to run on the weekends, and nobody really had a good answer to what the affect would be if run every single day for thousands of miles. A high flow set of cats or an off-road setup would put minds to ease, for sure. Whether or not it's recommended, I can't tell yet.

I do know that even with an off-road pipe, the car wasn't like "dumping" fuel or anything, so I don't think it'll be an issue at all, and the air/fuel ratio at the factory wideband sensors doesn't reflect any problems either. That alone puts most of my mind at ease.

orgchem: It would be awesome to have it available on all three tunes , but understood if that isn't feasible.

Thank you for your understanding! We'll probably have it so that it CAN be done on any of the tunes by request, but only recommend it on the Race for Automatics. We'll see... but either way I appreciate the realistic expectations!

RADR LUV: Chris,

As always I appreciate the ground truth and thorough update. I know all can't wait to get their hands on it. Thanks again for the great support.

Thank you, I'm glad you asked the question! We were a little late to the game getting this out there, so we want to make sure that we're the best at just being up-front. It was under heavy demand, so we had to act on it!
Old 4/6/11, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

And one final quote...

rjone15: was looking to get a tune for my car and had a question for you

i see where you said that this tune will only give you the sound and wont increase or decrease the performance, but were thinking of including it in all 3 tunes

is this "cammed" tune simply just something that you added to the previous tunes that people already had? because my main reason for a tune is performance increase, the extra sound part will be a bonus

eta: sorry for the noob question

Perfectly reasonable question, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

What I meant by you wont see an increase or decrease in performance was simply meant to describe this particular feature or characteristic of the tune. You'll still get the full horsepower and torque increase that you would get with our Street/Performance/Race tunes. The addition of the Ghost Cams feature to these tunes just will not add or subtract anything from that point.
Old 4/6/11, 02:04 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. That cleared some stuff up for me.
Old 4/6/11, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
2.) Since it causes some issues, I'm wondering if whatever is done to give it that sound is still a safe tune?
No offense, but a bunch of you guys need to surf some info on cam timing and overlap (based on this and numerous other threads now). Its pretty fascinating really. I mean don't you want to know how your engine works?

Overlap (and "5th cycle") has been used for a loooong time. That we can now dial it in at certain rpm's via ECU controlled hydraulics is just the natural technological evolution of an old time tested performance technique. It is not some secret magic.

Tweaking the tune so we hear the lope at idle - where it doesn't add any performance - is just to reminisce the old days where the thumper cams were used for high rpm performance, but without variable valve timing back then, caused the rough sound at idle.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/6/11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Good explanation. I think that variable valve / variable cam will progress even further. We'll see!
Old 4/12/11, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great info Chris...did you get my PM?

Thanks for keeping us all posted!
Old 4/13/11, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

this is my next mod

SurfnSoCal what are the chances we joined exactly about 7 years ago 2 days apart. haha

Last edited by SoCalCobra311; 4/13/11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 4/18/11, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SoCalCobra311
this is my next mod

SurfnSoCal what are the chances we joined exactly about 7 years ago 2 days apart. haha
haha too funny!
Old 4/18/11, 04:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Do you two know each other.....

Old 4/24/11, 02:40 AM

is this ready yet?
Old 4/24/11, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

As of Friday when I called, no . I'm getting so anxious - I bought BAMA tunes just to get the cam idle when they said it was only a week away, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Can't say it's a bad thing though. From what I've been reading, tons of people have given up on the Lund cammed tune due to check engine lights and the like - if AM is working to keep that from happening to us, they should take all the time they need.
Old 4/25/11, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
As of Friday when I called, no . I'm getting so anxious - I bought BAMA tunes just to get the cam idle when they said it was only a week away, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Can't say it's a bad thing though. From what I've been reading, tons of people have given up on the Lund cammed tune due to check engine lights and the like - if AM is working to keep that from happening to us, they should take all the time they need.
I wouldn't rush it. I'd rather get a tune from some one who took the extra time to make it right.
Old 4/26/11, 12:06 AM

My Lund tune has no CEL's, and it runs beast.
Old 4/26/11, 12:22 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
From what I've been reading, tons of people have given up on the Lund cammed tune due to check engine lights and the like
Where are you reading that? I've only read one complaint about a Lund Ghost Cam tune, and that was the guy with the auto that wasn't happy with the drivability.

Originally Posted by StangFreak
I wouldn't rush it. I'd rather get a tune from some one who took the extra time to make it right.
Exactly right. Which is why there'd be nothing wrong with getting one from Jon Lund since he's had the ability to create these tunes far before anyone else, and now everyone else is scrambling to get theirs on the market in order to not get left behind.

Quick Reply: Ghost Cam Idle Tune - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V - Bama Custom Tuning Preview