Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford racing power pack

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/12, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford racing power pack

Would love to hear from people that have it what their thoughts are. Also how do the axle backs sound and is there a noticeable difference in performance?
Old 2/29/12, 05:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not many people buy the whole pkg at once....
But I can say I have the mufflers as do a lot of ppl and LOVE them!
After a while you might want to remove the resonators though to get a bit more tone.

The Pro-cal in my personal opinion is a great starter tune...granted it's not the most powerful tune out there and really limits you ability to upgrade different parts down the line. Its all dependent on what you want to do with the car and how far you wanna take it!

All in all those with the kit really like it! especially for the every day enthusiast who uses the car as a daily driver and not an all out race car at the track!
Old 2/29/12, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kouks
Would love to hear from people that have it what their thoughts are. Also how do the axle backs sound and is there a noticeable difference in performance?
Not trying to talk you out of the Ford Racing Power Pack, but lots of people have been getting the Ford Racing Axle-Backs and then getting an SCT Flash programmer from any number of tuners.

With the exceptions of a few pure dumb *** people raising a stink in the forums, we've not heard of any reports of engine failures or warranty issues.

With an SCT Flash Tuner, you can get good custom tunes from any number of local shops, as well as tunes from companies like Steeda, Roush, American Muscle, etc... With the Ford Tuner you can't, and if you decide at any point in the future to do more mods to your car, the Ford Racing Tuner becomes useless, as you will have to unload their tune, then reload a custom tune anyway.

Just food for thought, think about your long-term plans, and spend accordingly.
Old 2/29/12, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern is the warranty. I remember reading that tunes or engine/exhaust mods may void the warranty if it is not ford parts. That is why I was leaning towards getting the power pack.
Old 7/4/12, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I have the ford racing power pack installed on my 2013 mustang gt. They finally released it about 2 weeks ago. I don't know what the peak horsepower and torque gains are at peak, but I would suspect they are similar to the 2011-12 power pack. That's not the point though. The point is what it adds at lower RPMs. It took a few days or so after the ECU flash was completed, but I'm noticing gobs of torque at lower RPMs which are pushing me back in my seat like nobody's business. For me, this kit was well worth it. Oh, and for those stating that this limits your upgrade options, I'd suggest you look on the Ford Racing website. There are a ton of parts and although I have not yet confirmed this, I would suspect you could get a custom tune using the ProCal tool from Ford Racing if you are using their parts. Finally, about the warranty. Ford Racing parts are aftermarket, and therefore are not covered under the factory warranty. However, if you purchase them from a Ford dealer parts department, and have them installed by a Ford dealer service department, they will not void the factory warranty. Keep in mind though, that although the axle back exhaust is an SVT part, the ECU tune, and the Ford Racing oil filter are not. If it's determined that damage to the car was caused by these items, this will not be covered by the factory warranty. Also, Ford Racing has it's own warranty for it's parts, but it's only a 12 month warranty.
Old 7/4/12, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 50_lover
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I have the ford racing power pack installed on my 2013 mustang gt. They finally released it about 2 weeks ago. I don't know what the peak horsepower and torque gains are at peak, but I would suspect they are similar to the 2011-12 power pack. That's not the point though. The point is what it adds at lower RPMs. It took a few days or so after the ECU flash was completed, but I'm noticing gobs of torque at lower RPMs which are pushing me back in my seat like nobody's business. For me, this kit was well worth it. Oh, and for those stating that this limits your upgrade options, I'd suggest you look on the Ford Racing website. There are a ton of parts and although I have not yet confirmed this, I would suspect you could get a custom tune using the ProCal tool from Ford Racing if you are using their parts. Finally, about the warranty. Ford Racing parts are aftermarket, and therefore are not covered under the factory warranty. However, if you purchase them from a Ford dealer parts department, and have them installed by a Ford dealer service department, they will not void the factory warranty. Keep in mind though, that although the axle back exhaust is an SVT part, the ECU tune, and the Ford Racing oil filter are not. If it's determined that damage to the car was caused by these items, this will not be covered by the factory warranty. Also, Ford Racing has it's own warranty for it's parts, but it's only a 12 month warranty.

And just hope your local dealer will do the work .i went and talked to the service manager at mine and he acted as if he wanted nothing to do with anything to mess with the performance of the vehicle ....hell he didnt even want to change the gears in the rear end for me. Not all dealers are like that just pray you have one close if you do go with the FRPP. Thats why i went the route i did
Old 7/7/12, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 50_lover
Ford Racing Warranty states if the kit (procal ii / exhaust/ air filter) is installed at the Ford Dealer the warranty starts on the day of installation and will run for 3yrs/36k miles starting from the date of vehicle purchase, so in essence they are mirroring the factory's coverage for the first three years. but if you have it installed at a later date the time and mileage factors do not increase or decrease.

my dealer has techs that mod their own cars, and were happy to install the software for me. it is a good starting point for those people that are "warranty" wary, or want a little more than stock.
Old 7/8/12, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
Ford Racing Warranty states if the kit (procal ii / exhaust/ air filter) is installed at the Ford Dealer the warranty starts on the day of installation and will run for 3yrs/36k miles starting from the date of vehicle purchase, so in essence they are mirroring the factory's coverage for the first three years. but if you have it installed at a later date the time and mileage factors do not increase or decrease.

my dealer has techs that mod their own cars, and were happy to install the software for me. it is a good starting point for those people that are "warranty" wary, or want a little more than stock.
Like me..LOL

I been really contemplating on if I should go with procal and don't have to worry about warranty issues or should I just go the SCT route. My main purpose of looking for a tune was due to stock A6 calibration. I just traded in my 2011 m6 camaro and got the 5.0, so I'm really not too worried about more power at this point, but this stock A6 shift points and especially the late downshift is really taking the fun out of driving a automatic for a change. I been driving nothing but manual for the last 15 years so is definitely a change as it is already. I hear procal does nothing really in terms of A6 calibration except for firmer shifts, but I also heard that other tunes such as bama, steeda, etc.. does nothing when it comes to late downshifts, but it does calibrate the A6 alot more and better than procal.

I been asking and trying to find out if late downshift is one of the calibration that could be tweaked via bama guys, steeda, etc.. but I can't seem to get a solid answer from any of the forums. So if anyone here could answer this for me I would really appreciate it
Old 7/8/12, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BOWTIE-X
Like me..LOL

I been really contemplating on if I should go with procal and don't have to worry about warranty issues or should I just go the SCT route. My main purpose of looking for a tune was due to stock A6 calibration. I just traded in my 2011 m6 camaro and got the 5.0, so I'm really not too worried about more power at this point, but this stock A6 shift points and especially the late downshift is really taking the fun out of driving a automatic for a change. I been driving nothing but manual for the last 15 years so is definitely a change as it is already. I hear procal does nothing really in terms of A6 calibration except for firmer shifts, but I also heard that other tunes such as bama, steeda, etc.. does nothing when it comes to late downshifts, but it does calibrate the A6 alot more and better than procal.

I been asking and trying to find out if late downshift is one of the calibration that could be tweaked via bama guys, steeda, etc.. but I can't seem to get a solid answer from any of the forums. So if anyone here could answer this for me I would really appreciate it
Remember the warranty on the procal mirrors the 3/36 but not the power train or extended ford ESP warranties so after 3/36 your on your own.
Old 7/11/12, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ghost.223
Remember the warranty on the procal mirrors the 3/36 but not the power train or extended ford ESP warranties so after 3/36 your on your own.
If you aint broke it in 3/36k you not driving it right

only kidding... I treat my car extremely well so im not that worried at this point. all my other 5.0's lasted over 200km so i imagine that it get this one up there -- plus ive promised it to my grandson -- his dad (my son) got the 86 5.0.
Old 7/12/12, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
If you aint broke it in 3/36k you not driving it right

only kidding... I treat my car extremely well so im not that worried at this point. all my other 5.0's lasted over 200km so i imagine that it get this one up there -- plus ive promised it to my grandson -- his dad (my son) got the 86 5.0.

With my luck I'd blow the engine and trans at 37k. I would love a tune and suspension if I wasn't such a worrier.