Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford Procal worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/14, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Procal worth it?

Looking into getting a tune but nothing crazy just a basic street tune say 91 octane. I don't have any other mods other then GT 500 AB and a K&N air filter and I plan to add an oil separator soon. I was thinking about the Ford Procal tune but not sure if it's worth the small gain or should I look into a different tune? Can anyone comment on the Procal?
Old 12/30/14, 08:55 AM
GT Member

By the way my Mustang is a 2013 GT
Old 12/30/14, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I can....I have no complaints...see sig....
Old 12/30/14, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I love mine. You can absolutely feel a difference in power both low end and top end. I wouldn't want to add any more with the stock tires.
Old 1/1/15, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the ProCal as part of the FRPP Performance Package (which included the GT500 AB and filter you are already running). In fact, getting the tune was sort of a bonus- because I was mostly just wanting the ABs and the package made the addition of a tune very inexpensive.

IMO, the most noticeable difference is below 2,000 rpm. The stock tune has a little "hole" right off the line that is very irritating. The ProCal resolves most of it. However, to be honest, I added another item a bit later that did an even better job (the JMS Chip PedalMax). The two together pretty much completely fix the low end range, IMO. However, I've experimented by disabling one and then the other, and I believe the PedalMax actually does more to improve the car than the ProCal. If I were going with just one of them, it would be the PedalMax.

When you do get the ProCal, do yourself a favor and just install it yourself. It takes all of 20 minutes, but my dealer managed to charge me $200. In retrospect, even though they go on about "preserving the warranty by having the dealer install and register the tune," that's a bunch of hogwash. First, I have yet to read of a single instance of a ProCal tune (which- let's face it- is a very mild tune) causing a problem on a 13-14 GT. Second, I'd love to hear how a Ford dealer would explain the denial of a warranty repair when the tune came from Ford Racing (yes, I know they aren't the same company- but Ford dealers install their products, and the performance of the tune has nothing to do with who installs it).

Anyway, that's my experience with it. I've had the ProCal installed for over a year with only one tiny issue (it seems to create a small problem with the idle during hot weather- occasionally the car will stall... I've communicated with a couple of other people with manuals and the ProCal who have the same issue).
Old 1/4/15, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the Procal tune and Im very happy.
I dropped .35 sec. off my 1/4 mi. time so it makes some ok power improvements.
I would highly recommend a oil separator, even the tech at ford racing recommend one. The separator helps fight off detonation due to keeping the oil out of the combustion chamber, and with any tune you will be adding timing to the engine to make more power and this will cause detonation if you are putting oil in there as well.
I USE AND LIKE THE Moroso separator.
Plus the procal tune is relatively cheap!
Old 1/5/15, 04:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProCal is the gateway "drug" to speed addiction. Procal & axlebacks ( ABs are for sound ,nothing else , despite what's being advertised ) . Then onto gears 3:73 ? Next a SCT tuner with "can" tunes followed by a custom dyno tune. Still not enough...so on to supercharger which leads to CAI , smaller pulleys and a custom dyno tune.
Now you've reached the point where its time to check into the Jack Roush clinic for speed addicts.
I've been down this road....
Figure our what "you" want ( not what everybody else is doing or wants) plan it out and do it.
It's your ride, your money and you're the only one that needs to be happy.
Good luck, be safe and enjoy YOUR ride .
Old 1/5/15, 04:47 AM
V6 Member

PS: My profile pic is my ride at Roush. Yes, I sent my ride to the Roush speed shop in Livonia, MI. to be upgraded.
Old 1/5/15, 07:55 AM
GT Member

The air filter and voucher for MY Procal arrive today. I blew this off when I was first looking at mods for my car b/c I was just looking at peak numbers. But the increase in low end torque is exactly what I'm after. I've tried to keep my mods to a minimum on my '14 because I blew a ton of money on a 2012 Civic Si that was terribly unreceptive to mods. I added the GT500 axlebacks for a little more sound and will be glad to have the Procal for a little more low-end punch. After this, I'm adding a shifter bracket and calling it a day.
Old 1/5/15, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have also kept it in check since installing Procal. Minimal mods has put me close to the cage limit at my local NHRA track and, I use the car, rain or shine as a DD and business car.

I've spent tons of money modifying cars over 30+ years of wrenching. I know when I am happy and when enough is enough. Kudos to those that want/need more, especially those that, like me, are willing to do their own work. To each his own.
Old 1/8/15, 04:38 PM
GT Member

I like mine, though will probably try a Lund or Bama(new and improved) next. It only has 5,000 miles and is barely broken in. Torque Management and the rev limiter interrupting acceleration in 4th approaching the traps with 3.73s is irritating. But not having warranty concerns is nice too....so maybe we'll just leave it alone.
Old 1/20/15, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AWESOMO 4000
I like mine, though will probably try a Lund or Bama(new and improved) next. It only has 5,000 miles and is barely broken in. Torque Management and the rev limiter interrupting acceleration in 4th approaching the traps with 3.73s is irritating. But not having warranty concerns is nice too....so maybe we'll just leave it alone.
Get a Bama tune and run 87 street tune. Conservative and safe but you will feel the difference and the gas mileage will go up.
Old 1/20/15, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011gt5.0
Get a Bama tune and run 93
Fixed that for you
Old 1/21/15, 03:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a Lund tune and run 93 street tune. Conservative and safe but you will feel the difference and the gas mileage will go up.
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Fixed that for you
Agreed
Old 1/21/15, 09:35 AM
GT Member

That is another good option. Just make sure you use good gas. Does Lund have an 87octane tune?
Old 1/21/15, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

That is another good option. Just make sure you use good gas. Does Lund have an 87octane tune?
Good advice. I filled up some crap 93 Citgo and even with the oil separator it pings just a smidge at mid throttle and mid rpm range. First time it's done so. Can't wait to empty the tank and go back to Shell.
Old 1/28/15, 03:15 PM
V6 Member

That is the first mod I did and I really do not think it was worth it. If you have an extra $400 -$500 it might be worth but it will not be a night and day difference. Like some people say. Just my opinion.
Old 1/28/15, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 14stangGT
That is the first mod I did and I really do not think it was worth it. If you have an extra $400 -$500 it might be worth but it will not be a night and day difference. Like some people say. Just my opinion.
Update. I emptied my separator and on the same tank of gas the pinging went away.

That being said the tune and ProCal alone is under $300 not 4-500, which makes it half the price of a tuner and tune from any reputable tuner.

I also disagree that it isn't night and day. Sure other tuners may add more power, but again at twice the cost and no warranty. It absolutely adds gobs of power down low and a nice amount to the top. I went from being dead even with my buddy and his e92 m3 to being a car ahead.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/28/15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 1/31/15, 01:34 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Update. I emptied my separator and on the same tank of gas the pinging went away.

That being said the tune and ProCal alone is under $300 not 4-500, which makes it half the price of a tuner and tune from any reputable tuner.

I also disagree that it isn't night and day. Sure other tuners may add more power, but again at twice the cost and no warranty. It absolutely adds gobs of power down low and a nice amount to the top. I went from being dead even with my buddy and his e92 m3 to being a car ahead.
I agree. Price wasn't an issue for me. I just wanted a nice tune with as few problems as possible. Tune worked great out of the box with a noticeable increase in performance. Very happy with it.
Old 2/10/15, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Someone just posted yesturday on a group page Im on, an impressive time slip of a 12.5 1/4 mile time. The guy claimed the ford racing performance package (procal, k&n filter, and gt500 ABs) on regular tires, only. If thats true, that is impressive!

Quick Reply: Ford Procal worth it?