Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

ford PROCAL Tune Review!

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/14, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
ford PROCAL Tune Review!

Ok so here are some real numbers on the Ford Racing ProCal Tune!

I have a 2014 Mustang GT, Track Pack, (so 3.73 gears, manual trans)
I had the Pro Cal tune installed 2 weeks ago, at my local dealer!
Before I had it installed I brought the car to my local drag strip (Sacramento Race Way). I wanted to get a base line on what I could do with the car.
The only Mods on the car was a Moroso air/oil separator, and GT500 mufflers.
I ran a best time of 13.02 @ 110.4 MPH, with a 2.26 60 ft. time.
Last night I went back to the track, with the addition of the ProCal tune.
I ran a best time of 12.72 @ 112.1 MPH, with a 2.25 60 ft. time.
(and bouncing off the rev. limiter about 10ft. before the finish line in 4th gear)
The weather was almost identical each night I was there, started in the mid 70's ended in the high 50's.

When I first had the tune installed, and I was driving away from the dealer, I thought the car was actually slower. I might have been right, when i got home I used a scan tool to check and found most of the monitors were not set. (Which Iam thinking is why some dyno tests I have read about where they do back to back dyno pulls with the same car and different tunes show the ProCal tune actually lower than stock numbers) It took me about 45 mi. of driving for all the monitors to set.
After the monitors all set I could feel a small amount of difference in lower RPM Tq. but was not overly impressed. I was not expecting much if any improvement at the drag strip.
But numbers don't lie it is truly faster!
If you do 1/4 mi. math it looks like the car picked up about 20 H.P.

Overall I would say it is a good entry level tune, and the fact that it is warranty friendly is a plus!
By the way Iam also getting about 1~2 mpg. better after the tune!

Now I just need them to prep the track
and I need to find some traction (M/T ET Streets)!

Just thought I would share my findings!

Oh and by the way my second time out was Mustang night @ the track.
With all the mustangs competing in bracket racing, single elimination races.
I finished 1st!
Attached Thumbnails ford PROCAL Tune Review!-image.jpg  

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 5/8/14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 5/8/14, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats. I read somewhere I think this form that the after the tune the car has to re-learn so it may take a few miles / kms for the car to catch up.
Old 5/8/14, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is exactly true took mine about 40 mi. to relearn!
Old 5/8/14, 09:33 PM

Just received mine yesterday. Trying to schedule with my dealer for the install to retain warranty. Thanks for the review.

Edit: Dealer is going to install mine on Monday

Last edited by joseph07081; 5/9/14 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 5/9/14, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice! Well done sir. Congrats on 1st place and glad to see the ProCal made a difference.
Old 5/9/14, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How much did the dealership charge to "install" this, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 5/9/14, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
How much did the dealership charge to "install" this, if you don't mind me asking?
They charged me $95.
Small price to pay to keep the warranty!
Old 5/9/14, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
They charged me $95. Small price to pay to keep the warranty!
Your warranty on the powertrain is now reduced to 3 years 36K miles, the same as the bumper to bumper, and Ford Racing warranties the powertrain now, not Ford Motor Company.
Old 5/9/14, 09:27 PM

I was quoted $90 to install tune by my dealer.
Old 5/9/14, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RC13GT
Your warranty on the powertrain is now reduced to 3 years 36K miles, the same as the bumper to bumper, and Ford Racing warranties the powertrain now, not Ford Motor Company.
Only on an issue that is proven to be caused by the tune!
And if the tune is going to cause a problem it will probably happen in the first 3 years!
I'm in the auto business I know how it works!

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 5/9/14 at 09:33 PM.
Old 5/9/14, 09:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Excellent news. There might be something like this my future too if what you say about warranty is correct. I'm not anxious to go crazy with a convertible right now. Maybe an entry tune like this and a cai.

thanks for the review
Old 5/9/14, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Excellent news. There might be something like this my future too if what you say about warranty is correct. I'm not anxious to go crazy with a convertible right now. Maybe an entry tune like this and a cai.

thanks for the review
I'm very happy with this set up, I have a mid 12 sec. car that I daily drive and avg. well over 20+ MPG. My next Mods will be more suspension orientated.
The kit I got came with the procal tuner, GT500 mufflers, and a K&N drop in filter cost $560 @ American muscle after the forum discount.
But this tune will not support a CAI that requires a tune.
And the CAI that do not require a tune normally don't do much more than giving you the look and sound with out much of a performance gain!

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 5/9/14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 5/10/14, 08:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Good to know thanks. I'll explore it a bit further.
Old 5/11/14, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Here I come putting my spoke in again on this subject.

the PT warranty is not reduced. The PT part of the new vehicle warranty (3 yr B2B) is taken over by Ford Racing. Nothing in the documents says the regular PT warranty is affected by this install. These things need to be spelled out in a warranty, which is, essentially, a contract.

I am running 11s on this tune, on a fully loaded Premium car, with basically a slick tire and no other power mods. I believe my results are a little extraordinary with this canned tune but, hard to argue with repeated timeslip evidence.
Old 5/11/14, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Does this tune change the crappy shift points? My auto is way too sluggish at times, but other times it throws me into the back of the seat? WTF?!?
Old 5/11/14, 11:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO

the PT warranty is not reduced. The PT part of the new vehicle warranty (3 yr B2B) is taken over by Ford Racing. Nothing in the documents says the regular PT warranty is affected by this install. These things need to be spelled out in a warranty, which is, essentially, a contract.

I am running 11s on this tune, on a fully loaded Premium car, with basically a slick tire and no other power mods. I believe my results are a little extraordinary with this canned tune but, hard to argue with repeated timeslip evidence.
I am not trying to be argumentative but the power train warranty is effectively gone after you tune. It is replaced by ford racungs 3/36. I considered this mod myself. I contacted Ford racing and spoke to several people. I was informed they were separate companies and could not speak to each others warranty. None would give me anything in writing saying that their tune would not void my pt warranty if it was not the cause of the defect. I spoke to several dealerships and they told me that as a basic practice they were to turn down all pt repairs if a tune was present.

The dealers told me I'd have to take it up with Ford. I'm pretty sure if I had the money for lawyers and the time to wait I could fight and get pt repairer covered. I'm concerned of the danger of telling people their warranty is intact, when it is most likely not.
Old 5/11/14, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is Ford's responsibility to prove the tune caused the failure, not your responsibility to prove it did not!
I work for a dealership and deal with warenty claims all day, that is how it works!
And to say that the tune caused your rear axle to go out, or your transmission to fail would be pretty hard for them to prove!
Now if you were to have a lean condition caused by a tune and it was the reason for internal damage, that would be very easy for a dealership to prove. But that would normally hapen right away and you would get a check engine light. And that would normally happen soon after install, well within the warenty period.
Just a little bit of info for everyone.
Old 5/11/14, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very impressive
Those are awesome numbers,
You most be power shifting it to get those times.
Great job!
Old 5/11/14, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, my trans lit itself up after the tune install and Ford eventually repaired the car. The tune never got mentioned or even considered, throughout that process.

Not saying everyone would have that experience. A lot comes down to the relationship you have with the dealer, as always.

...and no, I have never power shifted this trans. The times are just quick standard lift shifts.

You can see why I am happy and pretty unmotivated to switch tuners. $280 bucks and 11 sec 1/4s. Tough to argue with that value.
Old 5/11/14, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, my trans lit itself up after the tune install and Ford eventually repaired the car. The tune never got mentioned or even considered, throughout that process.

Not saying everyone would have that experience. A lot comes down to the relationship you have with the dealer, as always.

...and no, I have never power shifted this trans. The times are just quick standard lift shifts.

You can see why I am happy and pretty unmotivated to switch tuners. $280 bucks and 11 sec 1/4s. Tough to argue with that value.
Wow that's even more impressive!

Quick Reply: ford PROCAL Tune Review!