Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford ProCal questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/15, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford ProCal questions

Questions for the people who have actually used the FRPP ProCal tool on what it can and can't do. I'm going beyond just any preloaded maps (TrackCal, etc). I've read the websites and marketing information, but still have some questions on it.

I know you can adjust different specific parameters on the car, such as adjustments to your speedo for tire sizing and different rear end ratios, but how deep can you go?

- Can you make custom changes to air/fuel ratios?
- Advance/retard timing?
- Change MAF table scaling (for example, when adding CAI or TB with a larger than stock diameter)

What can this thing actually do that the brochure doesn't tell me?
Old 1/4/15, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
None of the above. Just tire size, speedo, and gear.
Old 1/4/15, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
None of the above. Just tire size, speedo, and gear.
That is correct, I have the procal tune.
It did nock .35 sec. Off my 1/4 mile times.
So it does give you a good power boost!
There are better tunes out there ( make more power, and have a lot more adjustability), but I got the power pack with the Gt500 mufflers, air filter, and tuner for less than what some tuners cost.
And my Ford dealer has no warranty issues with that tuner since I had them up load the tune! (That was important to me since my car is still under factory warranty, but not all dealers are the same on this)
It all depends on what you are trying to get out of a tune!
Old 1/4/15, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Well....what you're asking for is not available to the end user on ANY tuner.

That stuff is the realm of professional dyno tuning companies because you'd need that software to start writing your own maps.

The Copperhead ECU is not something for the faint hearted to take on. It's not an EEC IV with just spark and fuel tables, with an occasional check in from the MAF sensor; this thing has VVT, 1000 protection strategies, etc.
Old 1/4/15, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
Well....what you're asking for is not available to the end user on ANY tuner.

That stuff is the realm of professional dyno tuning companies because you'd need that software to start writing your own maps.

The Copperhead ECU is not something for the faint hearted to take on. It's not an EEC IV with just spark and fuel tables, with an occasional check in from the MAF sensor; this thing has VVT, 1000 protection strategies, etc.
Actually what I'm asking for is commonly available on the import side of the industry, which is why I'm asking the question. Cobb Tuning, who is now making their accessport tuner for the S550 ecoboost cars, offers their access tuner race software for FREE if you have the tuner (at least for Subaru applications, which is where I came from) which gives you access to EVERYTHING. MAF scaling, spark tables, fuel tables, knock detection and reaction, throttle mapping, variable cam timing...you name it, you can change it yourself. I was hoping there was something similar out there for Mustangs.
Old 1/5/15, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It is NOT generally available for Mustangs with the Copperhead. That's what I am telling you. I am aware of what's available for other cars. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 previously putting 300 to the road.

This ECU is a whole other planet from anything you've likely seen before. It is one of the most sophisticated engine management systems available on any car and it's the reason this car can spot the Camaro SS 1.4 litres in engine displacement and still be competitive and can run 87 octane on 11:1 compression.

There were companies/people early on that tried to tune this engine and ended up nuking a few before figuring out how this engine and its management works. Those problems are solved now but, the stratospheric challenge of tuning this ECU remains.

I am pretty happy with a total canned tune on my car, in this case. My results speak for themselves. I would suggest a little research on what has worked on these cars over the last 4 years or so and decide what's right for you.
Old 1/5/15, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
It is NOT generally available for Mustangs with the Copperhead. That's what I am telling you. I am aware of what's available for other cars. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 previously putting 300 to the road. This ECU is a whole other planet from anything you've likely seen before. It is one of the most sophisticated engine management systems available on any car and it's the reason this car can spot the Camaro SS 1.4 litres in engine displacement and still be competitive and can run 87 octane on 11:1 compression. There were companies/people early on that tried to tune this engine and ended up nuking a few before figuring out how this engine and its management works. Those problems are solved now but, the stratospheric challenge of tuning this ECU remains. I am pretty happy with a total canned tune on my car, in this case. My results speak for themselves. I would suggest a little research on what has worked on these cars over the last 4 years or so and decide what's right for you.
Not to mention, to his original question - no, the ProCal does not do anything else other than what's mentioned above. It is very basic. There's no way FRPP would allow a customer to really tweak anything other than basic stuff like tire size. FRPP still has to warranty your parts....
Old 1/5/15, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

I think what your looking for would be the recently released HP Tuner software for the 2011+ mustang. I have used it to tune some GM vehicles with good results. There have been a few coyote mustangs tuned using their software, do a google search for some reviews.

http://www.hptuners.com/index.php

http://www.svtperformance.com/?p=5712

Last edited by Way2QWK; 1/5/15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 1/5/15, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Questions for the people who have actually used the FRPP ProCal tool on what it can and can't do. I'm going beyond just any preloaded maps (TrackCal, etc). I've read the websites and marketing information, but still have some questions on it.

I know you can adjust different specific parameters on the car, such as adjustments to your speedo for tire sizing and different rear end ratios, but how deep can you go?

- Can you make custom changes to air/fuel ratios?
- Advance/retard timing?
- Change MAF table scaling (for example, when adding CAI or TB with a larger than stock diameter)

What can this thing actually do that the brochure doesn't tell me?
My father has a 2014 CS and recently had a Ford dealership install the pro cal tune on the car. The only issue my father had with the car was he noticed a slight delay in acceleration when nailing it. With the pro cal, that throttle delay was resolved but that's it. The procal doesn't change shift points for automatics and my understanding not the best option for the most power gains.

The only reason my father chose the pro cal over say Lund, Bama, MPT, etc was because keeping his factory 3 yr 36k mile warranty was an absolute must. A must for him and when the warranty is up he may opt for another tuning company.

My father is happy for now with the pro cal because it took care of the throttle delay response.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/5/15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 1/10/15, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Way2QWK
I think what your looking for would be the recently released HP Tuner software for the 2011+ mustang. I have used it to tune some GM vehicles with good results. There have been a few coyote mustangs tuned using their software, do a google search for some reviews.

http://www.hptuners.com/index.php

http://www.svtperformance.com/?p=5712
Wow, I didn't even realize HP Tuners did Fords. I used them YEARS ago to tune my supercharged 98 Grand Prix...like more than a decade ago.

Either way, thanks for the input. the ProCal/TrackCal is tempting with the warranty and it's more flexible than the Trackey. HP Tuners gives me the opportunity to blow up my car all on my own (been there done that...with photographic evidence...see attached ) and the aftermarket tuners out there have everything in between. I'm still a ways off from this part. It's the "next step" once the suspension is done.
Attached Thumbnails Ford ProCal questions-throughfog640.jpg  
Old 1/19/15, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another ProCal question, has anybody run the TrackCal tune with the "no tune required" intakes, such as the Airaid or Steeda with their MAF inserts, for example? I wouldn't think there'd be any issue as the dyno's I've seen show A/F's don't change much, if at all with these intakes.
Old 1/20/15, 03:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No issues but at the same time no gains.