5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Exhaust removal help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/12, 06:30 PM
MJN
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok its done and at the first turn of the key and it fired up all the work and swearing was gone lol. Seriously though, it was a Borla "S" Cat back with X-pipe that I just installed. Figure a good days work and alot of jacking up and down cause like was mentioned eariler I just did not feel real warm and fuzzy under it with the jack stands at the max limit. If you have patiance and enjoy the satisfaction of doing a job like this on your car then I say it is dooable with some time. If not really the patiant person or not have the time or tools then take to someone with a lift and a couple hour job. Its still on the ramps as I type this but im done for the night. Oh and btw my wife was a big help (keep me calm), so two people can make it a bit easier.
Old 2/4/12, 08:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Sounds hectic. I guess installing a cat back would be hell. What did you guys replace them with? Only new over axle pipes or was it part of a cat back? I was looking for a set of over axle pipes with no resonators. May be Cheaper then paying a shop to cut out the resonators and welding in SS pipes
The over axle pipe is the hardest piece if you don't have enough clearance. The rest is cake. I can easily jack up the car and go from my stock H-pipe and stock muffs, to an OR-H and different mufflers in 2.5 hours including getting everything out and putting it away. It's the one piece in between, the over axle pipe, which is a PITA if you don't have enough clearance. I've done it twice now, and next time I won't hesitate to jack it up right the first time. With the front pipe and axle backs removed, all there is to do w/ the over-axle pipe is pull it out. Figure an extra 5 minutes if you have enough clearance, and extra 5 hours if you don't.
Old 2/4/12, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Yeah it was literally like I needed an inch more and they woulda popped right out. I forgot that one of my friends uncle owns a gas station with a lift so I texted him today and I'm going to them next saturday since I would be able to work on it with them. But first I am waiting on my jack and jackstands to come in from norther tool and hopefully I can do it myself. Its depressing that I do all my own mods, I installed a supercharger, longtubes etc on my 2010, but cant get over the axle pipes out lol

Hopefully ones I get my new jack and stands I will be able to get it high enough so I can pop them out. Theres nothing like getting something difficult done on your own rather than having a shop do it.

and MJN its funny you mention your wife keeping you calm lol, cause if it wasnt for my friend there helping me and keeping me calm, I wouldve snapped. I have a short fuse and when the jack wasnt working and nothing else was going right that day, I was about to go insane lol.
Old 2/5/12, 07:36 AM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah it was literally like I needed an inch more and they woulda popped right out. I forgot that one of my friends uncle owns a gas station with a lift so I texted him today and I'm going to them next saturday since I would be able to work on it with them. But first I am waiting on my jack and jackstands to come in from norther tool and hopefully I can do it myself. Its depressing that I do all my own mods, I installed a supercharger, longtubes etc on my 2010, but cant get over the axle pipes out lol

Hopefully ones I get my new jack and stands I will be able to get it high enough so I can pop them out. Theres nothing like getting something difficult done on your own rather than having a shop do it.

and MJN its funny you mention your wife keeping you calm lol, cause if it wasnt for my friend there helping me and keeping me calm, I wouldve snapped. I have a short fuse and when the jack wasnt working and nothing else was going right that day, I was about to go insane lol.
LOL I hear yea. I had the pipe in and all turned and different angles and such and it was not going, needed to jack it up a bit more so I went to pull the pipe back out and it was stuck in there. Had it over the axle but still needed to get it over one of the bars and it was stuck. Between the floor, gas tank and such I was ready to scream and pull , my wife told me take a break. Went in the house walked around went back in the garage and she had the pipe on the floor beside the car and was ready to start lifting it up again.
Old 2/5/12, 07:43 AM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
The over axle pipe is the hardest piece if you don't have enough clearance. The rest is cake. I can easily jack up the car and go from my stock H-pipe and stock muffs, to an OR-H and different mufflers in 2.5 hours including getting everything out and putting it away. It's the one piece in between, the over axle pipe, which is a PITA if you don't have enough clearance. I've done it twice now, and next time I won't hesitate to jack it up right the first time. With the front pipe and axle backs removed, all there is to do w/ the over-axle pipe is pull it out. Figure an extra 5 minutes if you have enough clearance, and extra 5 hours if you don't.
Your right if it was not for them two pipes would be alot easier lol. I had mine on the stands (just in board of pinch welds) and blocked safely I just was not feeling it with the stands all the way up, if I did do that prob would have been alot eaiser. Is that how you are doing yours maxing or close to on your stands. I was using think 3ton Sears stands. I just get nervous jacking up unibody cars. This is really the first nice car I have been really doing my own work on and doing mods to its always been trucks for me or junk daily driver cars that I went to the dollar store to buy oil for
Old 2/5/12, 07:50 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MJN
Your right if it was not for them two pipes would be alot easier lol. I had mine on the stands (just in board of pinch welds) and blocked safely I just was not feeling it with the stands all the way up, if I did do that prob would have been alot eaiser. Is that how you are doing yours maxing or close to on your stands. I was using think 3ton Sears stands. I just get nervous jacking up unibody cars. This is really the first nice car I have been really doing my own work on and doing mods to its always been trucks for me or junk daily driver cars that I went to the dollar store to buy oil for
Yeah, after hours of pussyfooting around and trying to finesse them out, I ended up maxing the jack stands out. I had the car resting on 4 jack stands, plus I took a floor jack on each side of the front end and raised it just until I felt pressure, then another heavy duty floor jack under the pumpkin raised just until it was touching. 4 maxed out jack stands holding the car, 3 floor jacks ready to catch if something went wrong. All was good, but would take the precautions again.
Old 2/5/12, 10:33 AM

Jack up the car the pipes come out turn them to the tire and they will come out it takes some time but they will come out