5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Exhaust removal help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/12, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust removal help!!!!

Well I was all pumped today after getting my over the axle pipes with the resonators deleted, but my day went completely down hill. Bought a nice 4ton jack to find out it was a complete piece of junk, and I got the car jacked up all the way this POS jack would let, and I couldnt get the over the axle pipes out. Also called my local performance shop (cant stand them) and they told me $250 to swap out the pipes lmfaooo, I asked if new over the axle pipes came with it.

Any tips for getting the over the axle pipes out, or is a lift needed? I have jack stands and will be getting a new jack tomorrow. If not JDM said they could get me in sometime next week, but I would rather not have to pay for labor if I can do it without a lift.
Old 2/2/12, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I used the 'heavier' Rhino ramps $40 at autozone and they worked perfectly for my Brembo GT and my brothers V6.
Old 2/2/12, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wonger
I used the 'heavier' Rhino ramps $40 at autozone and they worked perfectly for my Brembo GT and my brothers V6.
NO WAY!!! how the hell is that possible. How tall are the rhino ramps lol? I had the jack stands pretty **** high but I was afraid of this POS jack and didnt want to take it any further. dont you have to let the rear end hang?
Old 2/2/12, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used my rhino ramps to swap my axle backs out, but I would assume it would be easier to let the rear axle hang to get those over the axle pipes out. I believe the ramps are about 6 inches tall.
Old 2/2/12, 05:53 PM
Cobra R Member

whered you get the pipes from? All us local NY guys need to find a place that rents out a lift. Id love that.
Old 2/2/12, 08:55 PM
GT Member

I am going to exchange the jack tomorrow, cause it was seriously limiting my height and honestly was scaring the chit out of me lol. For some reason its not working correctly. I posted on SVTperformance and everyone is saying "o0o its easy on jack stands and blahh blahh", but I just couldnt get the right angle or get the car up enough.

I will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow when I get a different jack.

2012gtcs -- dude we really need to find a place. Theres nothing I hate more than paying for something I can do myself. I do ALL the work on my cars and nothing would aggrivate me more than hand over 100$ to a mechanic to take my pipes out just cause I cant get the car high enough. The axle backs were easy, I did it without even jacking the car up.
Old 2/2/12, 09:39 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I've heard they're kind of a ***** to remove anyway, but I was also gonna suggest finding a lift to rent. I don't know where you're located, but I have a place right down the street from me...prices aren't bad either.
Old 2/3/12, 11:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Hmmm maybe we should open up a place. Would make a killer hang out spot lol.

Grabber- are you on newyorkmustangs.com? I just signed up. All NY Guys.
Old 2/3/12, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use a jack, Make sure you place some jack stands under the vehicle before you crawl under it.
Old 2/3/12, 01:52 PM
GT Member

I ordered a nice jack and set of stands off harbor freight. If I cant get it on jack stands by myself I'll have JDM do it. Itll be like $100 but Id rather them than some random oil change shop with a lift.

2012- yeah I am a member on there, but dont go on. Everytime I had a question on that forum I never really got an answer and sometimes never got a response at all. Its a big forum with the older stangs like fox bodies and 99-04's
Old 2/3/12, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

I too used Rhino ramps. The secret is to use lots of liquid detergent on the hangers.
Old 2/3/12, 10:09 PM
GT Member

Wait wait wait wait..... you guys talking about using rhino ramps realize that im talking about the over the axle pipes and not the muffler right??
Old 2/4/12, 06:59 AM
MJN
GT Member

I got mine off yesterday but had to cut them off, now I am working on getting the whole car up on stands and some wood blocks. I have right now the rear on race ramps and one side of car just off the ground on a stand. Im thinking and hope front in air and the rear a bit more I can wiggle the new ones in I hope. I see from doing some reading that others have done it so I figure it can be done just need to get the right combo.
Old 2/4/12, 07:05 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I backed my Mustang onto a pair of Wal-mart ramps.....Worked perfect.
Old 2/4/12, 07:12 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I didn't remove the over the axle pipe, i guess you would have to go higher to remove it.
Old 2/4/12, 07:34 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Listen guys, the over axle pipes are a COMPLETELY different problem than the axle backs.

I had to unbolt my rear sway bar and I unbolted the lower shock mount to drop the axle. After that, it made getting the over axle pipes out a lot easier, but it was still a pain. You NEED height, AND you might need to unload the rear suspension to get the clearance you need.

Get at least TWO sets of jack stands, because I had to raise the front first, set jack stands, then raise the rear. I needed to do this because w/ just the rear in the air, the front of the over axle pipe would hit the ground and not come out. You will need to pull them out towards the front of the car. You'll need to wiggle and turn them sideways and take them out at an angle. It is a PITA, but they will come out w/ enough height and the rear suspension unloaded.

Be safe, but don't be shy about getting it in the air. Get it up as high as you safely can, keep a cell phone and a spotter nearby. I didn't want to go as high as I needed to, and ended up jacking it up, then bringing it back down to jack up higher and reset the stands several times. After they finally come out, you'll be scratching your head wondering what the big deal was. For me, the problem was not wanting to jack it up as high as I needed to. Save yourself time and get it as high as you can the first time, both front and rear. Still, be very safe. Good luck.

Ramps aren't going to get it done since they're not going to allow the axle to drop, although they might be perfect (safer?) to drive the front up on to. Just watch the wheel/ramp position when raising the rear.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 2/4/12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 2/4/12, 08:12 AM
MLM

Without a lift or a pit, cutting them out may be the best way to do it.

Watch this video for tips.

Last edited by MLM; 2/4/12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2/4/12, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we put mine on it was on a ramp style lift. But one of the workers and I had to push up on the rear of the car for the other worker to get the drivers side over axle out and get the new one in. If the rear of the car is already off the ground then you may need more room to maneuver the pipes around to get them out. That may only be achieved with a lift for the over axle pipes.
Old 2/4/12, 03:34 PM
MJN
GT Member

Well after some work and my wife helping finally got the pipes over the axle. It was a combo of front on stands, rear on ramps, rear on stands,then rear up little higher and back on one stand and one ramp, then rear back on ramps....lol been alot of work. I think if ever again might take it some where and have done with a lift, sure save alot of work.
Old 2/4/12, 05:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Sounds hectic. I guess installing a cat back would be hell. What did you guys replace them with? Only new over axle pipes or was it part of a cat back? I was looking for a set of over axle pipes with no resonators. May be Cheaper then paying a shop to cut out the resonators and welding in SS pipes

Quick Reply: Exhaust removal help!!!!