5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Exhaust guy told me deleteing resonators won't do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust guy told me deleteing resonators won't do anything?

So I have the Borla S-Types on now and had read that deleting the resonators will add some more nastiness to the sound. Is this true or not worth doing?
Old 7/25/14, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If by what you mean "do anything" you mean add power, that is true. Resos are flow control. They just reduce pressure locally in the exhaust to control certain frequencies of sound. So you can expect an increase in volume, change in tone if you remove them. Generally, its secondary sounds like rasp or popping that are being controlled by the addition of a reso.
Old 7/25/14, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
If by what you mean "do anything" you mean add power, that is true. Resos are flow control. They just reduce pressure locally in the exhaust to control certain frequencies of sound. So you can expect an increase in volume, change in tone if you remove them. Generally, its secondary sounds like rasp or popping that are being controlled by the addition of a reso.
Yeah I understand no power increase, was curious about the sound. I like extra popping
Old 7/25/14, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense Grifftech, but how many threads do you need to start about resonators?

They control the volume of your exhaust, you remove them and your exhaust will be louder. No added power, but increased volume.
Old 7/25/14, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Save your money and finish the catback setup man. It's not that expensive and you won't regret it.
Old 7/26/14, 12:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I put on the LP over axle pipes witch deletes the resonators, but also straightens, and smooths out, the rest of the pipe. Really like the improvement, louder with more of a growl now. No drone but there is a little rasp under WOT.
Old 7/26/14, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok I will accept that I lack knowledge regarding resonators, but wouldn't common sense tell you that since the resonators are larger than the input and output exhaust pipes they would decrease sound/drone and increase air flow? To say that straight pipes/reso delete increases air flow seems like an oxymoron, am I wrong?
Old 7/26/14, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Internal size of GT resonaters

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Ok I will accept that I lack knowledge regarding resonators, but wouldn't common sense tell you that since the resonators are larger than the input and output exhaust pipes they would decrease sound/drone and increase air flow? To say that straight pipes/reso delete increases air flow seems like an oxymoron, am I wrong?
I was surprised that when I cut out my resonators the I.D. was only slightly larger than 2in. With the over the axle pipe being 2 3/4 in. the resonators can't help flow through the system. I have very little pop and gurgle from my Borla S type axle backs and am very happy with the sound.
Old 7/26/14, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Save your money and finish the catback setup man. It's not that expensive and you won't regret it.
This.

Originally Posted by TommyV
I put on the LP over axle pipes witch deletes the resonators, but also straightens, and smooths out, the rest of the pipe. Really like the improvement, louder with more of a growl now. No drone but there is a little rasp under WOT.
And this.
Old 7/26/14, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Deleting my resonators with the GT500 AB definitely made it louder so your exhaust man doesn't know everything.

Wayne
Old 7/27/14, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
It's not that simple. Exhaust isn't all about pipe size and cfm capacity. Exhaust travels down the pipe in waves and is expanding hard just as it leaves the exhaust port, due to heat. This expansion gradually slows as it cools. This is why if you want performce, concentrate your efforts on the front of the exhaust system, not the rear.

What a reso does is strategically placed, it alters a particular resonance frequency at that point, by slowing the exhaust velocity down a touch, intercepting the creation of a noise not wanted.

Deleting resos keeps the exhaust speed up but, doesn't control for that frequency, so you get more popping or whatever sound it was designed to control.

Keep this in mind, increased exhaust velocity comes at a cost in volume. If you had 1" pipes on the car, you'd have rocket tailcone velocity but no volume, decreasing performance. Similarly, putting a 5" straight pipe on a 4 cylinder car would yield massive volume but no way to fill it from the engine end, also decreasing performance. It's about the "right" size pipes and bends for the application and that is highly model specific.
Old 7/27/14, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Deleted the res on my 12 gt with the gt500 a/b and changed the sound from not too bad to super sweet!Well worth it for the sound alone,your not gonna get any extra power from a res delete.
Old 7/27/14, 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
Deleting my resonators with the GT500 AB definitely made it louder so your exhaust man doesn't know everything.

Wayne
^yes
Old 7/27/14, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
Deleted the res on my 12 gt with the gt500 a/b and changed the sound from not too bad to super sweet!Well worth it for the sound alone
Me too ^
Old 7/28/14, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyV
+1 on the lethal performance pipes, i love my set!
Old 7/29/14, 01:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
No offense Grifftech, but how many threads do you need to start about resonators?

They control the volume of your exhaust, you remove them and your exhaust will be louder. No added power, but increased volume.
LOL... I agree. I've read about his exhaust needs for a while now. Asks for advice then goes the other way anyways. Oh well, as long as he's happy.

Yep. It was advised before, too. Full Catback. Completes the whole setup, sound wise... I loved my Borla full cat back when I had it on. Now with the Corsa at the end of the Borla mids, it's even better.
Old 7/30/14, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
LOL... I agree. I've read about his exhaust needs for a while now. Asks for advice then goes the other way anyways. Oh well, as long as he's happy.

Yep. It was advised before, too. Full Catback. Completes the whole setup, sound wise... I loved my Borla full cat back when I had it on. Now with the Corsa at the end of the Borla mids, it's even better.
How did the sound change when you went to corsa? I'm getting jealous and I don't even know why.

You're not running long tubes right?
Old 7/30/14, 11:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
How did the sound change when you went to corsa? I'm getting jealous and I don't even know why.

You're not running long tubes right?
What does it sound like? Did you read the quote in my sig below? Kyle (LivingtheStanglife) heard it in person this past weekend, he can comment But yes, as far as what the full catback does is just "complete" the entire exhaust note/tone. I don't want to use the word "smooth" to describe it, but it kindda is. But more "full" if you will. The X pipe makes it sound more exotic, and pair that with the corsa, it sounds like a muscle car euro exotic hybrid on steroids. Satan's Chariot is fitting...or a banshee squealing... (but only when I get "on" it...it helps with the local Popo, so I can drive along side them or in front of them with no worries) So to speak.

To be fair, I need to STILL do a better exhaust video of just me in the garage starting and revving. I need to do a take off video, and just put the iphone down and film it. Maybe this weekend.

But anyways, here's some vids from a few months ago, at first install/startup.

and no, no lung tubes. I can't imagine how much more manic that set up would be.

idle

startup

revs

normal/spirited acceleration
Old 7/30/14, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't wait to hear those when I get home.
I was mostly curious to how the Corsas changed the sound versus the Borlas.

I've got the Borla ATAK catback installed and since I put my new CAI in... it sounds amazing. I can't imagine it sounding better but if it CAN. I'm game.
Old 7/30/14, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds heavenly!!! I was definitely enjoying driving behind and beside him when he'd get on it and i was in my mach 1 with mac prochamber and mac catback! Very deep and throaty, probably one of the best set ups I've heard on a coyote! I might have been doing a bit of this while we were driving around

Last edited by LivinTheStangLife; 7/30/14 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust guy told me deleteing resonators won't do anything?