5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Error code after CAI/BOSS Mani install.

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error code after CAI/BOSS Mani install.

After I installed the BOSS Mani, CAI, and Tune from Steeda, I am getting a P1289 error code which pertains to my Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor. The temperature light stays on solid and the needle stays at cold regardless of how long the engine is running. Whenever I clear the code it just comes back a few seconds later. Has anyone else had this problem and how can I resolve it?
Old 8/16/11, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did it become unplugged during the install?? Maybe a wire was pinched or something??
Old 8/16/11, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

I don't think so. For the few seconds the light is off when I clear the code, the temp needle goes up away from the " C " like it normally should. Then goes all the way back down once the error comes back. I will check though.
Old 8/17/11, 02:22 AM
V6 Member

everything seems to be fine as far as connections go. myself and a buddy of mine (who used to work for Ford) cannot figure this thing out at all. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong but the error code will not go away. there has to be someone out there who's installed these mods and gotten this error, and resolved it by now. i can't be the first person. please help!
Old 8/17/11, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

You might have accidentally loosened a temperature sensor when you removed the stock mani... Get back down there and tighten everything in sight... Otherwise, I'm really not sure what would cause that...
Old 8/17/11, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

Everything is tightened down. Just got done doing that a few seconds ago. Still got the same error code.
Old 8/17/11, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Not sure if it's related, but my air conditioner isn't working either.
Old 8/17/11, 10:51 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by going for broke
Did it become unplugged during the install?? Maybe a wire was pinched or something??
I vaguely remember another thread about the sensor underneath the manifold getting unhooked when they did an install. Seems like there was a diagram showing where they're located. Anyone remember that?

EDIT: Found this. Still searching

Well, Our Bosses or Mustangs for that matter do not have an Engine Coolant Sensor (ECT) sensor.

Sensors that are mounted in coolant will not measure temperature if there is a loss of coolant!

So the ECM would not have any data........

So Ford Engineering has put in a Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT)sensor which is more accurate than any sensor located in a fluid, the CHT sensor measures the heat in direct proportion to the cylinder head temperature (Metal to Metal).

This sensor is located in a dry hole on the head itself.

If there is a situation where the head reaches a certain temperature the ECM driven by a signal from the sensor goes into Failsafe Mode, pulling timing, and deactivating cylinders.

If the engine temperature continues to rise the engine then shuts itself down BEFORE damage occurs.

That is for a loss of coolant, if the bock is ventilated because of a rod, or the engine oil is contaminated by coolant that's a different matter!

Hope there was only a loss of coolant!
EDIT: Post #66 has some information on CHT. Says if it is removed it must be replaced with a new one.

https://themustangsource.com/f813/1-...2/#post6054960

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/17/11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 8/17/11, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Sure wish I could help ya.When you first started it up after the initial install did you get any codes or have any problems?
Old 8/17/11, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

This is seriously giving me a Hugh headache. I can't think of anything else to try besides going completely stock again and starting over. We've literally tried every connection under the hood and ensured it's all connected properly.
Old 8/19/11, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Yank battery terminal cable for a few mins then try it all again. Maybe some capacitor on the CPU needed to be flushed to give you (or not give you...) the error code.
Old 8/20/11, 05:03 AM
V6 Member

Disconnected the battery, both pos and neg. Waited 15 minutes to reconnect. Still got the error after starting the engine.
Old 8/20/11, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

give this site a look over:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=823&viewfile=Engine.pdf

the sensor should be on the back side of the cylinder head, near the firewall, make sure its in there tight and then start tracing the wires back to find a possible break or short somewhere.

good luck.
Old 8/20/11, 03:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by klisetron
give this site a look over:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=823&viewfile=Engine.pdf

the sensor should be on the back side of the cylinder head, near the firewall, make sure its in there tight and then start tracing the wires back to find a possible break or short somewhere.

good luck.
I've already done that. Everything is tight and undamaged. So I just got done driving, got ANOTHER fault. A light came on and said something about the tire pressure sensor was bad while I was driving. It went away on it's own about 10minutes later. I done know, I'm not so happy with this mod at all so far. I'm really upset that I spend a nice chunk of money on this mod and can't even enjoy it. The owners manual says that with the temperature light, the engine will cut some cylinders, to prevent itself from overheating I guess. So basically I installed these mods and am not getting my full engine power. I'm seriously considering going back to full stock setup. But even if I did that, will these errors go away?

Total fault list after installing BOSS Mani, Steeda CAI, and Steeda Tune:

P1289 error code
Check engine light
Temperature light
Tire pressure error message (although it went away)
No Air Conditioner
Old 8/20/11, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I would go back to stock and sell the Boss intake.I would save up for a set of ARH longtubes and o/r Xpipe and axleback exhaust.Get a good dyno tune and you will be very happy with the results.
Old 8/21/11, 11:55 PM
V6 Member

Before you do that try tuning back to stock and see if you have the same issues, with all the errors your getting it sounds more like an ecu problem rather than all the seperate components. And make sure that when you return to stock you put the appropriate airbox back on, I know steedas shouldn't be on without the tune.
Old 8/22/11, 12:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by klisetron
Before you do that try tuning back to stock and see if you have the same issues, with all the errors your getting it sounds more like an ecu problem rather than all the seperate components. And make sure that when you return to stock you put the appropriate airbox back on, I know steedas shouldn't be on without the tune.
I thought the Mani was the part that shouldn't be on without a tune, not the CAI. I've already tried going back to the stock tune and reapplying the custom tune after. Still got the errors. Didn't change any components back to stock though.
Old 8/22/11, 01:46 AM
V6 Member

okay so i fixed it. it seems that one of my sensor connectors WAS in fact damaged a little. it was connected but i guess a little loose. it doesn't make a "click" sound when i push it in all the way and also when it is in i can freely pull it out without touching the release clip on it. nothing a little electrical tape can't hold in place. anywho, i take back what i said before about not being impressed with these mods. i just got done a short "spirited" drive and OMFG my car is a whole new animal now. i dont know who was saying that there could be a little torque loss, but i only have 3.31 gears and i am feeling nothing but more power. i am about to go get ready and take her on the autobahn so i can REALLY open her up and see what she can do !!!
Old 8/22/11, 01:48 AM
V6 Member

oh yeah in case anyone is wondering, ALL those errors i listed before are now gone. amazing how one tiny connector can do all that.
Old 8/22/11, 03:57 AM
V6 Member

just got back from another drive, this time on the autobahn. i must say i am truly impressed with the mods overall. there does seem to be a bit of an issue still though and i'm thinking maybe it's the tune? when she was stock i got her up to 241KPH (150MPH). now i cannot go past 180KPH (112MPH).

Has anyone else with the BOSS Mani and Steeda Tune experienced this problem, of now having a lower speed cap? i can only assume it would be the tune file that's making this occur, anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Error code after CAI/BOSS Mani install.