5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Dyno comparison video- Edelbrock vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/12, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno comparison video- Edelbrock vs. Vortech

Hello everyone, I thought you may be interested in seeing this as it does highlight some interesting differences in various types of superchargers. I'm not surprised in the fact that the Vortech makes more power than the Edelbrock and that's not what this comparison is about. What really grabs my attention is how much power the Edelbrock is losing when heatsoaked. Obviously when manufacturers advertise their kits, they are going to show the best numbers under optimal conditions, but what happens when we the cars are heatsoaked? How much will underhood heat generated from around town driving affect the vehicle's power?

Old 6/8/12, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TK421
Hello everyone, I thought you may be interested in seeing this as it does highlight some interesting differences in various types of superchargers. I'm not surprised in the fact that the Vortech makes more power than the Edelbrock and that's not what this comparison is about. What really grabs my attention is how much power the Edelbrock is losing when heatsoaked. Obviously when manufacturers advertise their kits, they are going to show the best numbers under optimal conditions, but what happens when we the cars are heatsoaked? How much will underhood heat generated from around town driving affect the vehicle's power?

awesome info/vid, the horsepower per dollar #s will probably be even more surprising.

Last edited by autobred; 6/8/12 at 03:37 PM.
Old 6/8/12, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm undoubtedly reading the dyno results wrong, but it looks like the Edlebrock enjoys a very solid edge at everything under 5000 rmps. At 3000 it looks like over 150 hp. Again, I will plead ignorant at the start, but might it be superior for around town and the vortech would enjoy a profound advantage at the strip?

I've never made the investment to purchase a blower and don't really know what daily life with each of these would be like. I would also be interested in the engine durability factor with each of these... Does either enjoy an advantage over the other. Again, I don't have a dog in the race, just curiosity. I have no doubt both are excellent products.
Old 6/8/12, 06:00 PM
GT Member

When reading the map showing the cold vs. cold runs, the Edelbrock shows a small advantage from 2500-about 3800. According to the graph, the HP difference is between 5-10 hp and the HP is dead even at 4000 RPM. As far as TQ is concerned, the Edelbrock does see a 25 Ft/lbs advantage at 2500rpm. The gap is whittled down to about 5 ft. lbs. at 3500, and the Vortech takes over the TQ lead at around 3750 to redline. Once again these are only in the COLD runs, during the hot runs the edelbrock looses the HP game and is only ahead in TQ by 10 ft lbs. until 3400.

Graphs can be confusing to read, and yes you did misread the chart. At 3000 rpm the vortech is shy about 15 HP/10 TQ during the cold runs, and narrows that gap even more during the hot runs.
Old 6/8/12, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, clearly I missed it.
Old 6/9/12, 04:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Results are believable on the factory tunes; have to assume they both are for this test.

Stock E-force tune is emissions legal and very conservative. Not sure about the Vortech tune.

If both blower setups had optomized aftermarket tunes I would expect less difference in peak numbers. The E-force has a reputation of being the torquiest option and runs less boost.

These are two different animals, each good at their own game. Not really directly comparable IMO.
Old 6/11/12, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeff s
If both blower setups had optomized aftermarket tunes I would expect less difference in peak numbers. The E-force has a reputation of being the torquiest option and runs less boost.
If both had aftermarket tunes, the difference would likely be MUCH more substantial and even more in Vortech's favor. CLEARLY the "torquiest option" reputation is more wishful thinking than factual data...

Last edited by hcracerx; 6/11/12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 6/11/12, 11:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff s
Results are believable on the factory tunes; have to assume they both are for this test.

Stock E-force tune is emissions legal and very conservative. Not sure about the Vortech tune.

These are two different animals, each good at their own game. Not really directly comparable IMO.
The blower manufacturer tunes are very conservative. I had a Vortech V2 on my '07 GT. I loaded the Vortech tune and went to our local dyno guru for a custom tune. As a daily driver, I asked for a conservative & safe tune, and our dyno guru found 70 rwhp more easily. I loved how the Vortech didn't overwhelm the tires on launch, but totally ripped at mid to high rpm's. Awesome at the drag strip and easy to drive on the street.
Old 6/15/12, 11:40 AM
V6 Member

Seems like both of these kits will put down some serious power. My question is, how do they "feel"? I've heard that TVS superchargers have more "immediate" power, which might be more desirable to me since my car is a daily driver.

I've been thinking about the Roush kit (especially since they just upgraded it to 575 HP), but it may come down to service and support because my local Mustang shop is a Vortech dealer. Plus, the Vortech is cheaper by quite a bit.
Old 6/15/12, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MikeR
Seems like both of these kits will put down some serious power. My question is, how do they "feel"? I've heard that TVS superchargers have more "immediate" power, which might be more desirable to me since my car is a daily driver.

I've been thinking about the Roush kit (especially since they just upgraded it to 575 HP), but it may come down to service and support because my local Mustang shop is a Vortech dealer. Plus, the Vortech is cheaper by quite a bit.
You are correct!! Twin screw supercharges have power on demand, they always create the same amount of boost regardless of rpms. Centrifugal supercharges increase power through the rev range and scream at the high end.

I personally would prefer the tvs also. I will have one someday regardless of price. Now just need to save up......