Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Dark Side – Grinding Experts – come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/14, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Side – Grinding Experts – come on in!

Plan to join forces in the not to distant future – most likely with the VMP 2.3L TVS, 82 mm pulley for my 2014 GT track pack/Brembo. First investment is going into the suspension though to better get the power to the ground!

Have read a number of posts on the install and think I understand most of the operations to tackle this on my own (and perhaps a little help from the wife!).

In regards to grinding the timing cover, most posts indicate to take it slow and be patient. Great advise! And, that tools such as a Dremel and/or a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will do the job. Any particular type of cutoff wheel recommended for aluminum?

Would also appreciate a few more details on the grinding/cutting process itself.

For example, the VMP manual states that “Boss A” and “Boss B” needs to be cut down so that they are ¼” max height above the timing cover. Did you measure this, mark a line, and then begin making a cut at the line? In other words, perform the cut in one pass? Or, did you make a series of multiple cuts until the boss was eventually cut down to the proper height?

In the case of “Boss G” which is essentially cut in half down the middle and to a height of 20 mm, did you mark the horizontal and vertical cut lines and then make one cut down the middle of the boss, and then one cut across to basically make the entire process just a series of two cuts (albeit going slowly)? Or, did you make a series of cuts down and across until the required dimension/clearance was obtained for the upper FEAD bracket?

I recall a post that stated removing the radiator is a big plus to make more room to do this work. Thoughts?

Apologies for the long post – but – cutting on aluminum is something I really have not had any experience with – and would like to avoid having to buy a new timing cover!

Many thanks in advance for those with previous experience!
Old 6/28/14, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
As far as depth off cut, use tape to mark how far you need to cut and also to mark the boss that needs cut in half.
Cover everything well because the aluminum turns into a fine dust.
Old 6/29/14, 05:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
So many dark siders coming!!!!

"The dark siders are coming! The dark siders are coming!!!"

* bell rings *

Congrats.
Old 6/29/14, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

All I used were a couple 4 1/2" metal cut off wheels on my grinder and I removed my guard to allow it to get closer do to the tight area. I didn't remove my radiator, nor did it get in the way of the cutting/grinding. I have seen some of the magazines that have done the install use a 1 1/8" spade drill bit to cut boss A and B down.
Boss B was the easiest and I just made one cut on it.
Boss A was a little harder and I had to make a few passes on it. I had to cut small amounts at a time until I got enough material off.
Boss G was the worse for me and I had to make several cuts on this one a little at a time and I also used the outer edge of the cut off wheel as a grinder to take material off.
The bosses are not used for anything so if you take a little more material off its not going to hurt anything, Just don't go past the bottom surface of the cover.
Old 6/29/14, 11:02 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions Blown CS - much appreicated!
Old 6/29/14, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions Blown CS - much appreicated!
No problem, lets know how the install goes.
Old 6/29/14, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

I used a combination of an angle grinder and dremel. I went very conservative on the height at first and followed with a flap disc on my grinder. A flap disc makes short work of grinding down aluminum and also leaves a nice factory looking finish. I highly recommend this approach, as its virtually impossible to cut too deep into the cover. As someone else noted, make certain to cover everything because the dust gets everywhere.
Old 7/18/14, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by thegame
I used a combination of an angle grinder and dremel. I went very conservative on the height at first and followed with a flap disc on my grinder. A flap disc makes short work of grinding down aluminum and also leaves a nice factory looking finish. I highly recommend this approach, as its virtually impossible to cut too deep into the cover. As someone else noted, make certain to cover everything because the dust gets everywhere.
Do you recall what grit you used on the grinder flap disc?

Did a little searching - looks like 40 and 60 might be common. Or, does it not really matter - just get one for Aluminum?

Thanks!