5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cobrajet intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/12, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cobrajet intake manifold

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/cobra...se-mustang-gt/

Obviously I cannot use this on a V6, I thought it was newsworthy for 5.0 owners.
Old 12/31/12, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That thing looks sick!

You coyote guys sure do have better looking engine parts than us 4.6'ers. haha
Old 12/31/12, 07:42 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanks for this A.M. article. I started a thread about this on 12/1:
https://themustangsource.com/f800/fo...2013-a-516256/
Some interesting ideas and thoughts in there, too.
Old 1/2/13, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

Glad you guys enjoyed our blog article! If you did/do have a 5.0, would you go with the CobraJet over the Boss?

Shane
Old 1/2/13, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Glad you guys enjoyed our blog article! If you did/do have a 5.0, would you go with the CobraJet over the Boss? Shane
So sounds like the Boss stb will work after all, eh? Definitely leaning towards CobraJet but am waiting on more data (and for my warranty to run low).

Last edited by wheelman; 1/2/13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 1/2/13, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you guys enjoyed our blog article! If you did/do have a 5.0, would you go with the CobraJet over the Boss?

Shane
Not without hard numbers.

Also with peak hp occuring around 7750, I don't believe the GT valvetrain is up to the task. Additionally, its not a bad idea to consider the CJ trigger wheel at that point. Oil is also an item of interest as ford had to make a number of changes for oiling above 7k on the boss motor.

Now if you had boss valves/springs/etc, maybe a worthy mod. Though ford was very big on saying the intake lost no torque, but it seems the initial tests are showing that it loses torque over even the boss 302 manifold. For that, I've basically lost interest as it just doesn't seem like enough gain over a b302's manifold for the costs.
Old 1/3/13, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

Wheelman,

It would look that way, but I haven't gotten a chance to confirm it, unfortunately.

Shane

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Not without hard numbers.

Also with peak hp occuring around 7750, I don't believe the GT valvetrain is up to the task. Additionally, its not a bad idea to consider the CJ trigger wheel at that point. Oil is also an item of interest as ford had to make a number of changes for oiling above 7k on the boss motor.

Now if you had boss valves/springs/etc, maybe a worthy mod. Though ford was very big on saying the intake lost no torque, but it seems the initial tests are showing that it loses torque over even the boss 302 manifold. For that, I've basically lost interest as it just doesn't seem like enough gain over a b302's manifold for the costs.

I'm with you on this thought! ^^^ The CobraJet intake is really only for the most extreme builds and even then you may want the Boss intake for the TQ on the street. The Drag strip is really where the CobraJet belongs. Personally, I would choose the Boss intake and build around it's flow rate. This is just MHO though!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 1/3/13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 1/3/13, 04:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you on this thought! ^^^ The CobraJet intake is really only for the most extreme builds and even then you may want the Boss intake for the TQ on the street. The Drag strip is really where the CobraJet belongs. Personally, I would choose the Boss intake and build around it's flow rate. This is just MHO though!

Shane
Will consider that; thank you.
Old 1/3/13, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheelman,

It would look that way, but I haven't gotten a chance to confirm it, unfortunately.

Shane

Shane

Ive been considering it as I have a fully built 11:5:1 roadrunner type motor, but I think I'd really need longtubes, big cams, big throttle body and more to support it. Even then I'm not sure where the boss 302 valvesprings start to want to float or go into harmonics.

Oh well, it will be fun to watch the community tinker with these crazy ford-branded performance parts. I'm totally happy to sit back for once and watch (no more 7 month downtimes for me, lol)
Old 1/3/13, 09:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Would love to see this on a stroker Coyote where you could offset the loss of torque with a bigger motor yet rev the hell out of it.
Old 1/5/13, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

For shows I would want something that stands out, Cobra Jet intake would.
Old 1/5/13, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this intake would be better suited on a boss 302?