5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Clear me up on some x-pipe questions pls...

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/13, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear me up on some x-pipe questions pls...

Right now I have Borla S-type axle backs, removed resonators and stock H-Pipe on my '14 GT.

Now I know that if I go with an offroad/catless x-pipe, I will need to get a tune. What about if I go catted with high flow cats? Is a tune necessary on that one?

Lastly, for anyone that has kept the cats, and just replaced the H with an X, is there really any noticeable sound difference? I know LOSING the cats will make a noticeable differnce.
Old 8/22/13, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X pipe definitely sounds different than the H, will be hard to Judge since you would be going catless or high flow.

Either way you would probably need a tune, any significant change in flow will need a tune.
Old 8/22/13, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding an after cat x pipe does make a big difference in sound. My GT500's were tame even with the resonator delete. With the x pipe it is louder and deeper at idle and sounds mean under throttle but is still quiet at cruise in the cabin and does not need a tune. IMO this combo is the best solution for a DD that you still want to have fun with.

Last edited by Trumpetlon; 8/22/13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 8/22/13, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Adding an after cat x pipe does make a big difference in sound. My GT500's were tame even with the resonator delete. With the x pipe it is louder and deeper at idle and sounds mean under throttle but is still quiet at cruise in the cabin and does not need a tune. IMO this combo is the best solution for a DD that you still want to have fun with.
I agree, I with a lot of what he^^ is saying, but go with the o/r X pipe if you can! That will have the biggest improvement on sound. The X will not be deeper than an H pipe though.

Are you looking for low end or high end? Because the X-pipe will help more at higher RPMs

Nick C.
Old 8/23/13, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

It also depends on what you are trying to do as well. I have an h pipe (02 gt wish it was a newer on) and love the deeper tone plus I am trying to get as much torque out of it as I can. X pipes are more for top end and h is more for torque. But x or h the sound is bad *** you like either one
Old 8/31/13, 01:16 PM
GT Member

If i were exhaust i'd want to flow through an x rather then an h.. X pipes get you on avg. 4 hp more, and i lean towards power more so then sound. I love the angry sound of my exhaust with an offroad x and gt-500's.