Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

check engine light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/13, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light flashing

Guys I really need yals advice, I have a 2013 gt with roughly 12000 miles. I have been having the stupid check engine light since the first hundred miles. Every time I take it to the dealership they tell me they re flashed the computer, can't get it to do it again or to bring it back with a solid check engine light (which it hardly does). I'm very pissed off that I got a brand new car to mod out but now I can't do a **** thing cause I keep feeling that as soon as I mod it something terrible is going to happen and then ford won't fix nothing cause of the voided warranty. I have seen on forums that others have the same problem and ford can't figure it out. If this is the case i might as well fix it my self because it seems like these mechanics have no freaking common sense beyond the service manuals. I have also heard that some will run leaner than others on higher rpms to a very unsafe level. My question is should I just mod it and tune it with a good tune that will probably solve everything. Has anyone been in my situation and got it fixed.
Old 3/14/13, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

You have a OBD reader?
Old 3/14/13, 11:31 PM
GT Member

The last couple of times I've ran mine pretty hard it's flashed the little engine icon at me. This last time it flashed it at me for a good 30 seconds and then went away. No other messages or indications... Tomorrow I'm going back into work and gonna run an OBD II code reader to see what it says...
Old 3/15/13, 05:44 AM
Cobra Member

If you had a reputable tuner near you or willing to drive, I guarantee they could figure out on one dyno run why the car was doing that. Gus from Steeda (along with others from Aed, bbr, amazon etc) will have this diagnosed in no time. As you mentioned, the car is probably fixable with a tune from a reputable company but I'd know the cause of what is making it happen before tuning to make sure that no damage has been done in which Ford will blame you for if you tune it. The aftermarket tunes are actually safer than stock tunes in many cases. This looks to be the issue with yours especially if the car is running lean. Good luck.

Last edited by 2012GT; 3/15/13 at 05:45 AM.
Old 3/15/13, 09:19 AM
GT Member

CEL flashing usually means a misfire correct?
Old 3/15/13, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same thing happen to me last night after running mine hard....very surprised to see... Lasted for 20 secs or so.
I had it on a dyno a few weeks back and if anything it wasn't running lean it was running fat at high rpms.... Odd.
I plan on getting a tune soon so hopefully this will be corrected.
Old 3/15/13, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Prob spark knock causing timing to be pulled. Prob from cheap gas and running the car hard while hot.
Old 3/15/13, 05:22 PM

I only use 93 octane but maybe it could have been bad gas idk cause as soon as I filled up everything felt fine. It worried me because it has been about 5000 miles since it last flashed but hopefully it doesn't come back. I know that it does it if I hold the rpms or decelerate from about 4k rpms, that always seems like the trigger spot.
Old 3/16/13, 03:53 AM
GT Member

Ran an OBD code scanner on mine tonight and it said no codes to display... So maybe it was just a soft code and remedied itself? I only have 91 available to run here in Cali and it only comes from Chevron... Soo... But my tailpipe tips are sooty, maybe a misfire?
Old 3/16/13, 08:49 PM

I'm starting to think that maybe these sensors are overly sensitive do to how high of compression these motors are.
Old 3/18/13, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Join the club:
https://themustangsource.com/f804/mi...3/#post6576034
Old 3/18/13, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

**** man...that sucks. And seems like Ford is just ****ing around. Are these all on un-tuned cars? Maybe it's just in the Ford programming?

Last edited by conv_stang; 3/18/13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 3/21/13, 12:32 PM

Maybe water in the fuel system causing it to miss? Does it feel like its missing when the CEL comes on? If its been left sitting for an extended period of time at some point water can condensate in the tank.
Old 3/21/13, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bigred8829
Maybe water in the fuel system causing it to miss? Does it feel like its missing when the CEL comes on? If its been left sitting for an extended period of time at some point water can condensate in the tank.
mo

Sounds like there are 2 different problems. One is just the CEL for the ghost misfire. And then one CEL and corresponding loss of power misfire. And sounds like Ford hasn't done anything to rectify either. The CEL from the ghost misfire at least doesn't sound like it could be damaging. Just more of an aggravation. But not the guys losing power...that's not good. Gotta be bad long term and could cause a catastrophic failure
Old 3/30/13, 08:27 AM

I believe I might have the ghost misfire because I feel no difference in the engine when it happens. I decided I'm just going to do what I want to the motor without worrying about warranty. What really changed my mind was that yesterday when changing my oil I noticed from the last oil change I had done at the dealership (still had a free oil change) ford really did a poor job, I saw that half the shield was hanging because of a missing bolt and when I reached to take off the oil filter I seriously did not put any kind of force to take it off it was barely even snug. Screw the dealership this is why I never took any of my cars to anyone but myself. Honestly this is the first real American car I've had, I have had plenty of import projects, and I was hoping i would get great service with it being ford as compared to the import dealerships I have dealt with. I could just imagine if they started to look into the motor. It seems everytime I would take it for the light flashing all they would do is waste my gas and then give me the run around. I love my mustang but I am really disappointed with my local ford.
Old 3/30/13, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by silverbullet5.0
I believe I might have the ghost misfire because I feel no difference in the engine when it happens. I decided I'm just going to do what I want to the motor without worrying about warranty. What really changed my mind was that yesterday when changing my oil I noticed from the last oil change I had done at the dealership (still had a free oil change) ford really did a poor job, I saw that half the shield was hanging because of a missing bolt and when I reached to take off the oil filter I seriously did not put any kind of force to take it off it was barely even snug. Screw the dealership this is why I never took any of my cars to anyone but myself. Honestly this is the first real American car I've had, I have had plenty of import projects, and I was hoping i would get great service with it being ford as compared to the import dealerships I have dealt with. I could just imagine if they started to look into the motor. It seems everytime I would take it for the light flashing all they would do is waste my gas and then give me the run around. I love my mustang but I am really disappointed with my local ford.
Yeah it's a real hit or miss for service. I drive 45 minutes out of the way to goto my dealer and there are 4 dealers closer. But I get great service, and they don't give me any problems with my modifications.
Old 3/30/13, 10:02 PM

well it happened again today and this time I made sure to pay attention and I really feel its the ghost misfire because my motor did not act any different. In fact, I would have not noticed it if I hadn't looked down because i was entering the freeway and paying attention to traffic. This time it was during acceleration. If it is in fact the ghost misfire do I have anything to worry about? Should I go ahead and tune it either way?
Old 4/3/13, 11:57 AM
GT Member

I have the same exact problem its such a pain in the ***. If it sits at around 4k it goes off and blinks, i can hear the miss fire since i have an open exhaust and its not pretty. Sometimes if it lasts too long I turn the car off and on while rolling and it goes away instantly. I have had my car tuned several times, it went away for the longest time but comes back every now and then. One thing I did that reduced it a bit was replaced the o2 sensors as they tend to go bad sometimes. However, the problem will occurs and is annoying. I honestly cant find the source, if its bad gas or whatever, but it seems it doesn't really hurt the motor since it only occurs at like 4k and nothing higher, and usually on decel revs, not acel. If you're car does this a lot i recommend getting an odb reader and if the solid light does come up clear it, because I know I hate that light on. Hope this helps, even though I offered no solution haha.

Originally Posted by silverbullet5.0
I only use 93 octane but maybe it could have been bad gas idk cause as soon as I filled up everything felt fine. It worried me because it has been about 5000 miles since it last flashed but hopefully it doesn't come back. I know that it does it if I hold the rpms or decelerate from about 4k rpms, that always seems like the trigger spot.

Last edited by Rickybender; 4/3/13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 4/3/13, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rickybender
...If you're car does this a lot i recommend getting an odb reader and if the solid light does come up clear it, because I know I hate that light on...
I would read the code and see what it tells you so that you can find a solution. Just clearing it isn't going to solve anything.
Old 4/3/13, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
I would read the code and see what it tells you so that you can find a solution. Just clearing it isn't going to solve anything.
I know what the code is, its random cylinder misfire, every time. Ask my tuner about it, just told me it was o2 sensors acting up, and changed them, but still does it from time to time.

Quick Reply: check engine light flashing