Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ceramic coating the factory headers

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ceramic coating the factory headers

I've been toying with the thought of getting my headers coated while I wait for the motor to be built. I was wondering if anyone had feedback on doing this, I always hear rediculous claims of radiant heat drop of 100* or 8-10hp or some other wild claim. I'm not terribly interested in doing longtube headers on my car, I know its a popular modification but I don't have the extra scratch, am going to make plenty of power as is, and really want to focus on handling and reliability/survivability out here in the desert.

Since I'm going nuts with cooling elsewhere on the car, I thought this might be a good mod as well. The one caveat that's been presented to me is that the exhaust temp at the catalytic converters might be much hotter (to the tune of 70* or more). Is this something to stress over?

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Looks like I can get this done for around $150, and I have the time.
Old 8/5/12, 10:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can't hurt. There is a dramatic difference in temperature on the outside of the headers. I've got scars on my arms from chrome headers, where as I've touched ceramic coated headers and no burn/blister. I never did it intentionally, but with my jetboats, the headers are right there in the open.

I've had good luck wrapping headers before too, they pretty much kept all the heat in if I remember correctly, and now there is a black/grapite wrap available. Just another option.