Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cat Delete Pipes: I must be getting older...

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/12, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Delete Pipes: I must be getting older...

Just installed the stainless cat delete pipes from Jegs. Wow...I had no idea the car would be THAT much louder with the Ford Racing Sport mufflers. It's not just the increase in sound, it's the added raspiness. These mufflers are loud to begin with, and with the new pipes, they've lost some of there rumble climbing through the RPM's.

I'll give 'em a week to settle in with the new tune. But my guess is they'll be coming back off next weekend. Maybe I'll put on the new BBK shorties while I'm under there...

But, the install was fairly easy, once I picked up about 3 feet of extensions for the passenger side manifold flange.
Old 3/4/12, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I hear ya brother, this car doesn't really sound super-good with exhaust, the way old musclecars do. Curse of the 32 valve rev-happy design of this thing. I think the car sounds about as good as it's gonna get stock. No raspiness, no bubbling on decel, Just a nice roar in the cabin that isn't intrusive. Cops don't seem to notice the noise of the car either, which'll help keep the cost of doing business down.
Old 3/4/12, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

I loved it with just the sport mufflers, and I don't even mind the burbling on decel. It's the raspiness going heavy into the throttle that I may have issues with. We'll see how the week goes...
Old 3/4/12, 04:40 PM
GT Member

Tell me about it man. I deleted my cats and had to change everything. I have 4 mufflers now (a pair of 3 inch Bullets instead of resonators and Ultra-Flows) and it is still loud. Of course, these are all straight through mufflers. I am almost 42 and I have to admit that after a few months of the no resonator Roush sound....when I had stock mufflers on the car with the cat deletes, it was nice. It was just that the stockers sounded so tinny and wimpy under throttle with an X pipe. Maybe if it had been an H it would have been tolerable. It really does make it MUCH louder. Of course, that tells you just how restrictive those freakin' exhaust potatoes were in the first place......

Mike