5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/12, 11:15 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doug actually called me awhile ago, he's looking into why it went into limp mode and is going to get back to me. Glad to have heard from him so quick, that's good news for those of us who've dealt with the tuners that never get back after the initial purchase.
Old 9/18/12, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
whats the difference between the 93 torq and the 93 race?

scratch that page 2 told me.

Last edited by rmurer; 9/18/12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 9/18/12, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Success!!! Man oh man, the Torque Tune is awesome, pure fun for sure! The first time I got into it the car felt like it was trying to rocket out from under me...definitely a different feel or rush than your normal performance tune. It pulled harder throughout the power band and let up just slightly at redline (when I say "let up" I mean it hit it smoothly instead of a harsh shift, if that makes sense?). It really has a smooth power curve and seamless transition between gears that it's just a continual acceleration through the gears...so much that with my foot floored I was through triple digits before hitting fourth and never came out of the back of my seat. I might even try the $100 bill trick with a buddy tomorrow to see if he can grab it LOL...it pulls that hard!!! I'm looking forward to testing out the 93 Race and 87 Perf tunes tomorrow, can't wait - might have to do some GoPro vids for everyone else's enjoyment!

Kudos to Doug at C&L Performance for the great work and quick help to fix a problem totally out of his hands! Within a couple of hours I went from stuck in Fail-Safe mode to zinging the tires off the rims. If you're on the fence about getting a tune, pull the trigger and give them a try...I know that you'll be satisfied with the end result.
Old 9/22/12, 08:13 AM
GT Member

Just a heads up...ran at the 1/8 mile track down in Mobile last night - tested out the Race Tune on the street before and was literally a blast - but cut almost a full second off my previous best ET of 8.61@84 down to 7.79@84.19. Only difference between the runs were Texas -> Alabama (sea level, 80* instead of 100+), Mac axlebacks, and C&L tuning. Still had 1.99 60' times but everything else was much quicker!

Now...time for more mods to get out of the hole better (new FRPP LCA's waiting in the box), grip the entire track (M/T ET slicks and Weld wheels), breathe a little more (C&L and Boss intake combo), and literally burn more money from my pocketbook (wet nitrous kit?). I think I'll have to stagger my mods to fully enjoy each one plus keep the wife agreeable LOL!!!
Old 9/22/12, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NTXRockr
Just a heads up...ran at the 1/8 mile track down in Mobile last night - tested out the Race Tune on the street before and was literally a blast - but cut almost a full second off my previous best ET of 8.61@84 down to 7.79@84.19. Only difference between the runs were Texas -> Alabama (sea level, 80* instead of 100+), Mac axlebacks, and C&L tuning. Still had 1.99 60' times but everything else was much quicker!

Now...time for more mods to get out of the hole better (new FRPP LCA's waiting in the box), grip the entire track (M/T ET slicks and Weld wheels), breathe a little more (C&L and Boss intake combo), and literally burn more money from my pocketbook (wet nitrous kit?). I think I'll have to stagger my mods to fully enjoy each one plus keep the wife agreeable LOL!!!
Great eighth mile time but I think your mph is wrong should have been 90+.
Old 9/22/12, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
Great eighth mile time but I think your mph is wrong should have been 90+.
I thought so too but was 83.5 to 84.24 all night. I'm posting up the timeslips shortly...found out the track is roughly 60' shorter than true 1/8 mile so my ET/speed likely would've been about 8.0@87 or so on a full size track. I'm hoping to get up to Montgomery, AL to their quarter mile track and see what the times for both are up there. They run TnT on Sundays from noon-6pm so may have to go up one of those times.
Old 9/22/12, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Old 9/22/12, 12:34 PM
GT Member

The last run ET went back up due to me testing at 30psi instead of 32psi...otherwise got quicker as the evening cooled off

Last edited by NTXRockr; 9/22/12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 9/23/12, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

You were on it! awesome 60' times.. Seeing that your'e in florida how much better does the DA get in november? here in md, you can possibly crack into the low 12s without doing anything else to the car http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tool.php#3

Last edited by autobred; 9/23/12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 9/24/12, 11:08 AM
GT Member

I honestly don't know yet, I'm from north Texas and just moved to Pensacola on orders for training back in July so haven't seen a full year of weather yet. This track was over in Mobile, AL so similar conditions and sea level, but it wasn't too humid that night and being just after sunset was at 80* and dropped to around 72*. It was a big difference than when I last ran in June...104*+ and 800'AGL, with almost the same humidity, you can see how it wasn't too hard to lose a second off my ET.

Now...as far as the 60' times, it didn't spin too bad on me but wasn't getting out of the hole very well either. Back in TX I was running anywhere from 1.89-2.1 60' but was dealing with spinning quite a bit. I am hoping to get the LCA's installed this week which should trim a couple of tenths off my 60' times, and possibly getting slicks or DR's soon to help bust out of the 7's on the 1/8 and possibly mid-11's in the quarter. Likely will be heading to Montgomery, AL for that but it'll be slightly higher altitude and who knows humidity, but you never know what will happen since it's almost October!
Old 9/24/12, 07:29 PM
GT Member

I was looking at your time slips and I think there is a problem with the time clocks and mph clocks. Looking at your slips your time from the 330 ft to the finish on your 7.79. run took 2.36 seconds. In order for you to do that you would need to avg 95 mph for the last 330 ft.Your only showing 84 mph I compared to my best time and my 60 ft was 1.89 330 was 5.304 and 660 was 8.093 at 88.77. Not trying to make you angry just need to have track check there timing devices.
Old 9/25/12, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Yeah I agree with you, I thought I'd have a quicker MPH but was surprised when it was the same than before even with a second less ET. I had my Gopro running a couple of times, I might try and see if I had a cockpit shot with the speedo showing to see what it says.
Old 9/25/12, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

The clocks are definitely wack at that track. Here are two of my passes and unfortunately your nowhere near an eleven second pass. You can see that the 330' on my pass is quicker then on yours but I'm almost .4 slower in the 1/8 but at higher mph. When I seen that time I thought something was wrong so I dug my slip up for comparison.

C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs-image-2888467714.jpg
Old 9/25/12, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
I was looking at your time slips and I think there is a problem with the time clocks and mph clocks. Looking at your slips your time from the 330 ft to the finish on your 7.79. run took 2.36 seconds. In order for you to do that you would need to avg 95 mph for the last 330 ft.Your only showing 84 mph I compared to my best time and my 60 ft was 1.89 330 was 5.304 and 660 was 8.093 at 88.77. Not trying to make you angry just need to have track check there timing devices.
Yea it appears our times are almost identical uncle Phil.
Old 9/26/12, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Yeah I agree I think something is up...my car pulls like crazy once out of the hole and I think the numbers are close with the ET being the exception and too low. I'll have to see if I can find my other slips from TX and compare the 330' times and ET's. Also hoping to hit up another track this weekend so hopefully can get a better idea on times, but I do know it pulls hard (especially with these tunes) once past 60' and has always had quicker times on the second half of the track hence the reason I want to get my dig and 60' times down. I would get left at the tree by almost every car (and all were faster...super pro Camaro first run, modded SS Trailblazer 3 races, Lightning once) but ended up matching or closing on them towards the end. I had my GoPro out that night so I'll see if I can get the vids posted for reference.

One other thing that may have messed with the times, I think this track is slightly downhill once off the tree so that could show artificially faster times...but still doesn't explain why my speeds were so slow as I'd have expected to see 90+.
Old 9/26/12, 09:16 AM
GT Member

OK looking at my TX slips from June (a muggy 104* afternoon at 800'AGL) my fastest time I have a slip for was 8.73@82.86, with 2.10RT and 5.75 330'. Slowest times (not counting when I spun horribly) were only 8.83@82.4, 2.15RT and 5.84 330'. I ran a couple of 8.65's that night too but can't find the slips at the moment. Mind you this was completely stock - no tune, no exhaust, no changes to air filter, and were in terrible atmospheric conditions. The fact that I was running 83mph stock pretty much tells me their time clocks in Mobile were off...I also checked my videos and my speedo does indeed blow past 90 on the runs (not clear enough to see exactly how fast but 80 is vertical, 100 is "2am" and I get just past "1am") so I'm confident that my other times are "close" but wouldn't stretch to call them "accurate" since the speed is that far off.

Broke and Phil, are you both Autos? What mods are you both running? Just want to compare as I know mine got slightly quicker on stock tune with the filter and then exhaust, but the tune really made it open up. Also I set the shift points and rev limit above 7k so don't know if I'm making a little more power or getting the speed/time from the extra pull up top? Just speculating here...I should dyno it to be more certain on how it's performing. And as always, no feelings are hurt here - we're all Mustang aficionados and love our cars, and I certainly strive to get the best bang for my buck and enjoy racing to see how my tweaks have affected the car. I know that tracks can be off (have been racing door slammers and rail dragsters a few years here and there...) but short of meeting up head to head with you there's too many variables between cars and locations to be completely accurate.
Old 9/26/12, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Vmp tune, steeda cai. Auto.
Old 9/26/12, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Vmp tune, steeda cai. Auto.
I previously had tunes from Justin at VMP, worked really well but had heard great things about Doug's tuning and decided to try those. Supposedly VMP has a E85 as well as an Ethanol tune that are putting down good numbers.
Old 9/27/12, 07:14 AM
GT Member

My run that I used as a comparison was all stock with no weight reduction. DA was about 500 ft.
Old 9/28/12, 08:04 AM
GT Member

I ordered my tunes through their website yesterday morning. Received my 3 tunes by 4pm. 87perf, 93perf, 93torq.

I loaded the torq, as it was geared toward the 1500 to 3000 rpm range. I was curious...lol. This tune is really nice and powerful for a DD. I couldn't believe it. Power down low where before was gone. This is a great tune to drive with everday.

I am going to load the 93perf tune this afternoon and try it out.

My mods are: Boss Intake w/ OEM airbox, Boss quad exhaust, Boss axlebacks.

Going to do some data logging for Doug this weekend.

Thank you Doug and C&L Performance.

Quick Reply: C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs