Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

C A I ? all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/15, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
C A I ? all the same?

I'm thinking about a C A I and tune. I realize there are many choices and combinations, Steeda, BBK, K&W, AIRAID,....etc. Are any of these smog legal in Kalifornia? If not, I believe they are easy to swap back to stock, if need be, correct? Which is best? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10/3/15, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
IMO it falls between Steeda and Airad.
Steeda has some Bling to it and Airad has the plastic or CF look. As for preformance. Both have the insert so you dont have to run a tune if you dont want to. Which should be smog legal...Correct?
This way all you have to do is return car to stock tune and put the insert in.
Old 10/3/15, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackroadGT
I'm thinking about a C A I and tune. I realize there are many choices and combinations, Steeda, BBK, K&W, AIRAID,....etc. Are any of these smog legal in Kalifornia? If not, I believe they are easy to swap back to stock, if need be, correct? Which is best? Thank you for your suggestions.
For California and a dozen or so of other overly protective states, you'll need something with a California Air Resources Board Executive Order (CARB EO) number sticker/certificate. General indicators that something hasn't gone through the process of getting certified would be tags like "Off road only" and "Not for use or sale in California". When in doubt, ask the vendor.

It isn't just at inspection time either. I hear they like to do roadside emissions checks. I don't live there, so I can't attest to the frequency or validity of what I read.
Old 10/3/15, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

We agree ... the Steeda one is the way to go ... but unfortunately, we are working towards certification in California:

Warning: Not approved for sale in California or states that require a California E.O. #. This part has been designed and is intended for off-road application only. Installation of this part on a vehicle that is driven on public roads may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations.
Note: Federal and several state and provincial laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part that affects emissions or safety on motor vehicles used on public streets or highways. Steeda Autosports assumes no liability for any violations arising out of any federal, state or provincial emissions or safety requirements on motor vehicles arising out of the customer’s modifications and/or use of Steeda products. It is the responsibility of the customer to determine if their modified vehicle complies with applicable laws.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow....JeiEu5IZ.dpuf
Although, not a CAI, the K&N drop in filter is an option.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 10/3/15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10/3/15, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you for your input guys. Speaking of roadside smog checks, we had one this week. They just pull aside a few random cars, usually beaters. So, is there any tune and cai combination that is smog legal in Cali? I will do more research, but I would like to hear from some Cali people on this. Thanks again.
Old 10/3/15, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackroadGT
Thank you for your input guys. Speaking of roadside smog checks, we had one this week. They just pull aside a few random cars, usually beaters. So, is there any tune and cai combination that is smog legal in Cali? I will do more research, but I would like to hear from some Cali people on this. Thanks again.
While not the open cone style CAI, the ProCal tune and K&N high(er) flow filter. M-14204-MGTTC or if you have the "2014.5" you can opt for the TracKey version M-14204-MGTTKA.
Old 10/3/15, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SgtRedline
While not the open cone style CAI, the ProCal tune and K&N high(er) flow filter. M-14204-MGTTC or if you have the "2014.5" you can opt for the TracKey version M-14204-MGTTKA.
Actually, I was pretty set on getting the track cal tune. Just recently, I've been leaning towards an SCT type of tune with a little more HP. I just wanna free up the air and motor a bit, for a track day every once in awhile. Like everyone else, I guess.