Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Bought My First GT Today..Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/13, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought My First GT Today..Questions...

So excited, my wife is picking it up in Tampa and driving back in a few hours. It's a 2014 Grabber Blue base GT with the only option being the 3.73 rear.

We traded in a 2012 V6 with Performance Package, and the only thing I really will miss is the front strut brace, which isn't on this GT.

I was wondering if anyone had any particular suggestions for aftermarket versions of this, and whether you can just get the brace, or whether it has to come with shocks as well. Not mechanical, just learning about all this stuff. We want the GT to corner as well as possible and I know this is supposed to help.

Thanks
Tom
Old 10/12/13, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can find them on ebay. Just type in Mustang strut tower brace. You don't have to change anything...and takes about five minutes to install.
Old 10/12/13, 04:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roush has new take off stock GT STB's for $99 on their ebay store.

There's nothing else needed to add it to your car.

As far as improved handling, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on the street.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/12/13 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10/12/13, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I have one of the OEM takeoff bars and I honestly can't tell a difference on the street. I autocross very occasionally and I guess it helps. For me it's more for appearance in the end than anything because I just don't push my car hard enough to truly need it. But I bought mine locally off Craigslist for like 50 bucks I think it was and I think it looks cool lol
Old 10/12/13, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Thanks everyone!

What do you guys consider the best first upgrade on these would be? Getting rid of the stock tires? Been advised that Pilot SS tires would make a rather large diff. I doubt I will do anything for awhile as I just want to enjoy the car, but maybe six months in may start getting an urge to upgrade something on it!

Thx again
Tom
Old 10/12/13, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Tires and suspension. Most noticeable items in my opinion. And if you want a better sound axle backs. I really don't think these cars need much more. Did your car come with all seasons? If so going to summer tires would make a very nice difference.

Last edited by dmichaels; 10/12/13 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10/12/13, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Shifter is also a nice upgrade to make if it's a manual transmission car. I recently put the Hurst shifter in mine and couldn't be happier. Relatively inexpensive and it shortens the throws a lot and is much much smoother. And cooler looking too.

Last edited by flynavy; 10/12/13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10/12/13, 07:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
And I agree with the post regarding the strut tower brace. You would not notice a difference. Upgrade the away bars if anything.
Old 10/12/13, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Which model did you get of that shifter? I know one of the has a light that can be wired to show when you are in reverse, since the Hurst model I looked at does not have the stock lock out feature for reverse...
Old 10/12/13, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Shifter then axle back in that order...best feel/sound for the buck.
Old 10/12/13, 08:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by oceantracks
Thanks everyone!

What do you guys consider the best first upgrade on these would be? Getting rid of the stock tires? Been advised that Pilot SS tires would make a rather large diff. I doubt I will do anything for awhile as I just want to enjoy the car, but maybe six months in may start getting an urge to upgrade something on it!

Thx again
Tom
What are you planning to do with the car, just drive it on the street, drag race, autocross?

Don't get hung up on these suggestions of the shifter being the best first mod, the shifter in my car works just fine, put the $$$ to some better mods.

The really BEST first mod is a set of Redline Tuning hood struts, about $80-$90 and work great and look great and only takes about 15 minutes to install. Most everyone that has them will tell you it's the best money they spent on their car.

Next would be an axle back exhaust, stock exhaust on these cars just doesn't have much character.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/12/13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10/12/13, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Redline hood struts, MGW shifter, Borla S-type axle backs...and enjoy!!
Old 10/12/13, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by oceantracks
Which model did you get of that shifter? I know one of the has a light that can be wired to show when you are in reverse, since the Hurst model I looked at does not have the stock lock out feature for reverse...
The Hurst billet plus 2. It has the light. I didn't wire it though. After about 15 minutes you get a feel for the closer gears. You really have to really try to put it into reverse. It doesn't just happen by accident as easily as people will lead you to believe. My backup camera will come on and my reverse sensor indicator will come on if in reverse so that good enough of an indication for me. I've had it for 3 weeks now and I promise it doesn't just accidentally go into reverse.
Old 10/12/13, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Oceantracks, congratulations on your purchase of a 2014 GT. You got the best option with the 3.73 gears. You will love those gears.
Old 10/13/13, 04:58 AM
GT Member

I would suggest the MGW shifter, and the GT500 axle back exhaust as your first mods. there are numerous people on the forums that have went with different brands of shifters and after a short time sold them and went with MGW, I did my research and learned from the guys with the most experience here and went with the MGW and all I can say is WOW what a difference.

And for exhaust the GT500's are the most inexpensive mufflers around but sound the best..
Old 10/13/13, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoDoc
I would suggest the MGW shifter, and the GT500 axle back exhaust as your first mods. there are numerous people on the forums that have went with different brands of shifters and after a short time sold them and went with MGW, I did my research and learned from the guys with the most experience here and went with the MGW and all I can say is WOW what a difference.

And for exhaust the GT500's are the most inexpensive mufflers around but sound the best..
MGW and GT500's.
Old 10/13/13, 02:44 PM
Banned

one year of ownership, and 20,000 miles, and I'm still on the factory stock shifter. Will I upgrade it? maybe. Not in any rush though.
Old 10/13/13, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

The two mods that really did it for me were the Roush ABs and my springs. These cars are way too quiet from the factory. The stock stance is just awful with ridiculous brake dive and lean back during hard braking and acceleration.

Those two mods alone made it a totally different car. The shifter was just the icing on the cake for me.
Old 10/13/13, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Hey thanks! yeah I did a lot of reading on the forums and it seemed like if you couldn't afford anything else, make sure you got those gears. I will drive the car tonight for the first time, as my wife ended up staying overnight in Tampa...too tired to make the drive back last night. So around nine or ten tonight, I'll finally drive a GT. She has been calling me laughing hysterically at how fast the thing is and how cool it sounds lol
Old 10/13/13, 04:02 PM
GT Member

LtngDrvr...We are just street drivers....live out where there are a lot of fun straightways though with no speed traps (yet) so looking forward to it. We do like cars though, that handle great on turns, and though I know Mustangs aren't Corvettes, I am curious down the road to find what the best mods for getting that area of performance a little improved. Our V6 with PP was pretty cool, but you could tell it could use a bit of help in that area.

Last edited by oceantracks; 10/13/13 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought My First GT Today..Questions...