Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss quad/side exhaust - drone/heat/fumes issues?

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/12, 05:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Boss quad/side exhaust - drone/heat/fumes issues?

Folks... After hearing a bunch of videos, I really am loving the sound of the boss side exhausts. Esp after these videos...I fell in love

So anyways... I am not too worried about install anymore since I will probably have my shop do it... But I had a few more concerns...sorry if they have been addressed before.

Are there any drone issues or concerns? Because if there are, this might be a show stopper for me. I figured the side exhausts are open pipes essentially right?

My other concerns are that will the heat from the side pipes be a concern to plastic trim around the area or even occupants like my kids?

And if the side pipes are open, will there be concerns with fumes getting into the cabin? (again concern with kids)

Lastly, I know most folks run with the restrictor plates wide open...so was noise ordinance ever a concern for you guys? I am worried that cops around here will now be on the prowl...lol. Are the plates really easy to remove and put on?

Thanks for the responses in advance...

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/2/12 at 05:45 AM.
Old 8/1/12, 07:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The side exhaust outlets on the Boss tap off the primary exhaust flow @ 90 degrees, you get sound, but not alot of exhaust flow.
There is no fumes or smell inside the car & I drive with the windows down most of the time in warmer weather.
The side exhaust tips turn down, so any heat is deflected towards the ground. There is no melting of the plastic trim.
I have no drone at all , currently have my restrictor plates drilled out to 3/4" opening. I tried it without the plates installed, it was louder, but I was not pleased with the 'jake brake' when backing off the gas & no plates installed. Tried a few sizes & for me, the 3/4" opening on the restrictor plates was the perfect balance. Not obnoxious loud, but just right. I am also running the GT-500 axle backs on mine.
The restrictor plates are easy to install & remove. 5 min per side.
Old 8/1/12, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No issues to worry about, I also like 3/4" plates the best.
Old 8/1/12, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

Boss

Great questions/thread/videos! I was/am considering Boss exhaust for my new 2013 GT and this was helpful. Plus, I learned about the Electric Exhaust cutouts, which I previously didn't even know existed. Thanks!
Old 8/2/12, 05:50 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by aircare84
The side exhaust outlets on the Boss tap off the primary exhaust flow @ 90 degrees, you get sound, but not alot of exhaust flow.
There is no fumes or smell inside the car & I drive with the windows down most of the time in warmer weather.
The side exhaust tips turn down, so any heat is deflected towards the ground. There is no melting of the plastic trim.
I have no drone at all , currently have my restrictor plates drilled out to 3/4" opening. I tried it without the plates installed, it was louder, but I was not pleased with the 'jake brake' when backing off the gas & no plates installed. Tried a few sizes & for me, the 3/4" opening on the restrictor plates was the perfect balance. Not obnoxious loud, but just right. I am also running the GT-500 axle backs on mine.
The restrictor plates are easy to install & remove. 5 min per side.
Thank you for the insight... Heat wise, I was thinking not only from the side tips, but also from the side pipes themselves... But sounds like, no issue?

And since you have the gt500s on your setup as well, how do you like it overall? Was it a night and day difference coming from the stock setup/side pipes to adding a gt500 axle back? Perhaps you have or could share a video?

As for drone, that is good to know. I figured with an open pipe (essentially the side pipes are open right? No mufflers of any kind?) drone would be very probable? Good job by ford design if not

Originally Posted by 13GuTh
Great questions/thread/videos! I was/am considering Boss exhaust for my new 2013 GT and this was helpful. Plus, I learned about the Electric Exhaust cutouts, which I previously didn't even know existed. Thanks!
Np... That's why I asked the question... I just wanted to ease my/others concerns.
Old 8/2/12, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

Check this out

Last edited by ace72ace; 8/2/12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 8/2/12, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Finally, a place I can provide helpful information to you, instead of the other way around. I drove my Boss 200 miles to the lake the other day, plates completely removed, driving 75 to 80 mph the whole way and although I could hear it, it was never a drone, and not in the slightest uncomfortable. Also had my three year old son in the back. Since I was staying there for another week and wanted to ensure it was driven home in good weather, my wife drove it back at the end of the weekend. Here's the REAL test... She never complained about the sound. So I guess its all good!
Old 8/2/12, 03:16 PM
I Have No Life

Wow... thank you so much. That is the BEST video I have seen to date! And best of all, he has the EXACT same setup as I would have, which is the GT500 exhaust with Boss side pipes. In a word, that video shows just how ANGRY that combo sounds. Sounds fantastic. That's exactly the look I have been hunting for. No need to mess with aftermarket O/R pipes, OTA pipes, etc. All ford stuff, and stuff I know that will fit.

As for the 3/4" opening, so do folks just drill an opening on the plate? But then it's permanent right?

Originally Posted by max5ive0
Finally, a place I can provide helpful information to you, instead of the other way around. I drove my Boss 200 miles to the lake the other day, plates completely removed, driving 75 to 80 mph the whole way and although I could hear it, it was never a drone, and not in the slightest uncomfortable. Also had my three year old son in the back. Since I was staying there for another week and wanted to ensure it was driven home in good weather, my wife drove it back at the end of the weekend. Here's the REAL test... She never complained about the sound. So I guess its all good!
haha, hey Max....thank you for the input. That is good to hear! So you pulled the plates fully off eh? Do you have stock exhausts tho? Or did you switch to GT500s too? Hopefully with it being fully open, plus exhaust, it won't be too bad. Now I need to ask the wife for 700 bucks. LOL
Old 8/2/12, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Buy it and remove the side baffle discs. You won't regret it.

Old 8/2/12, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Wow... thank you so much. That is the BEST video I have seen to date! And best of all, he has the EXACT same setup as I would have, which is the GT500 exhaust with Boss side pipes. In a word, that video shows just how ANGRY that combo sounds. Sounds fantastic. That's exactly the look I have been hunting for. No need to mess with aftermarket O/R pipes, OTA pipes, etc. All ford stuff, and stuff I know that will fit.

As for the 3/4" opening, so do folks just drill an opening on the plate? But then it's permanent right?

haha, hey Max....thank you for the input. That is good to hear! So you pulled the plates fully off eh? Do you have stock exhausts tho? Or did you switch to GT500s too? Hopefully with it being fully open, plus exhaust, it won't be too bad. Now I need to ask the wife for 700 bucks. LOL
2012YellowBoss has fabricated copies of the discs and will sell you whatever size you ask for. I have not ordered any, as I am quite satisfied with them open. Right now my tails are stock, so i can't speak to that, but i plan on eventually getting Corsa Extreme axlebacks. Good luck with Wifey!
Old 8/2/12, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thank you for the insight... Heat wise, I was thinking not only from the side tips, but also from the side pipes themselves... But sounds like, no issue?
No heat issues at all.

And since you have the gt500s on your setup as well, how do you like it overall? Was it a night and day difference coming from the stock setup/side pipes to adding a gt500 axle back? Perhaps you have or could share a video?
Don't have a video, but mine sounds the same as the video ace72ace posted. Most of the sound comes from the side exhaust, but adding the GT-500 mufflers improved the deep tone quite a bit. Was too quiet with the stock mufflers IMO.
I did however, paint the back face of my mufflers with hi-temp flat black paint prior to installing, the steel color stood out too much against the black lower trim.
Overall, IMO , the GT-500 mufflers & 3/4" restrictor plates are perfect.

As for drone, that is good to know. I figured with an open pipe (essentially the side pipes are open right? No mufflers of any kind?) drone would be very probable? Good job by ford design if not

Np... That's why I asked the question... I just wanted to ease my/others concerns.
I drilled out my stock plates, but you can always buy a set from Scott & try different size openings.
Old 8/2/12, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

my GT500 mufflers will arrive Monday. I'm drilling out the plates tommorrow. thanks for the great info.
Old 8/6/12, 09:39 AM

wher can i send away for 3/4 " restrictor plates
Old 8/6/12, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bluemons
ter;6412619
wher can i send away for 3/4 " restrictor plates

Here's the thread on the exhaust disc's;
https://themustangsource.com/f813/an...-discs-494672/
Old 12/9/12, 12:09 PM

So what happened with this? Did you get your side exhaust?
Old 12/9/12, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't worry about what Marion cops think!!
Old 12/9/12, 03:53 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by AlloyShelby
So what happened with this? Did you get your side exhaust?
Nope... I heard the Borla S types in person and I went that route. My next step is to combine the boss quads with the Borlas... if only I can get Overboost to post a quick vid of his combo. Still no luck. Maybe he'll read this and do a quick vid.

Here's Marilyn sporting her new pipes.

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Don't worry about what Marion cops think!!
Haha... what's up Jamie.

Marilyn is stored now. Have you seen my switchbacks and full LED interior, reverse lights and license plate lights?? My latest mods

Name:  DSC_0352cleaned.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0340.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0328.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  32.9 KB

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/9/12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12/9/12, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looking good man! I'm leaving for Alaska on Tuesday. Got my orders a couple weeks ago. Won't be back in town for a long while. Keep posting when you do mods!
Old 12/9/12, 09:01 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

those videos make me go back to the s-type over the gt500 ab's.... I have a few months until I upgrade to boss 302 h-pipe - and I was gonna go with gt500's -but ---- borla s-type's have always been a consideration (just twice as much) - these videos make me reconsider........ thanks guys. I'm sure my neighbors will also thank you.
Old 12/10/12, 05:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Boss quad exhaust setup on my GT, which Magnaflow street series muffs..sounds awesome! Hopefully, I can share a video soon, so you guys can hear it for yourselves.

Name:  IMG_8247.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  218.7 KB

Quick Reply: Boss quad/side exhaust - drone/heat/fumes issues?