5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/13, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss 302 Manifold

My first post.

Im considering purchasing the boss manifold for my car. But ive read in various forums and sources that its pretty much worthless unless you are running a power adder. Has anyone heard of this? Also in the market for some long tubes. Any recomendations on a good brand?
Old 7/14/13, 01:13 PM
V6 Member

There are a lot of opinions out there on if the Boss manifold is worth it or not. Ultimately it's up to whether you want it or not, so look into the reasons why you are considering it and make your decision based on your personal preferences.

Most people tend to agree on this: If you take a car and put the Boss Mani on it and leave it otherwise modded (or not modded) the same, you will gain some top end horsepower but lose some low end torque. It's your decision whether or not that trade off is worth it.

If you're adding a bunch of power with forced induction, with these cars, you probably wouldn't be able to notice the torque loss or the power gain from the Boss manifold in daily driving.

As far as headers go, once again, do some research on your own based on what you want and the rest of your exhaust set up, but IMO you can't go wrong with Kooks or ARH. Both brands are pretty pricey though.

Last edited by chadr0; 7/14/13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 7/15/13, 07:24 AM
GT Member

As stated above, it is up to you on the Boss IM.

As far as the torque loss, I think that depends on the tuner.

Are you Auto or Man transmisison? If an Auto, and keeping the stock CAI (Filter box), then you will need to purchase the Boss Intake Tube. This is the tube that runs from the TB to the CAI. It is usually included in the install kit if you purchase that.

As far as LT Headers, do your research. I run the JBA LT Headers & Catted H Pipe. Fitment is spot on, and tucks under nicely, and priced great.
Old 7/15/13, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
As stated above, it is up to you on the Boss IM.

As far as the torque loss, I think that depends on the tuner.

Are you Auto or Man transmisison? If an Auto, and keeping the stock CAI (Filter box), then you will need to purchase the Boss Intake Tube. This is the tube that runs from the TB to the CAI. It is usually included in the install kit if you purchase that.

As far as LT Headers, do your research. I run the JBA LT Headers & Catted H Pipe. Fitment is spot on, and tucks under nicely, and priced great.
Ive got the manual. My current setup is a jlt cai, tune, o/r xpipe, gears, and rear lca. But at my elevation im only running a 12.9@110. Only other power mods that are within my reach are lt headers and manifold.
Old 7/15/13, 01:35 PM
GT Member

With the Boss IM, you will need your tune updated.

I did my Boss IM first, then the LT Headers. Thats a tough decision to make.

Are you doing the install yourself?
Old 7/15/13, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtmustang543
Ive got the manual. My current setup is a jlt cai, tune, o/r xpipe, gears, and rear lca. But at my elevation im only running a 12.9@110. Only other power mods that are within my reach are lt headers and manifold.
Who's tune? What gears? Those times are no better than most cars that are stock. The time is one thing but the miles an hour is way off.
Old 7/15/13, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Who's tune? What gears? Those times are no better than most cars that are stock. The time is one thing but the miles an hour is way off.
Its an american muscle tune. And they are 373s.
Old 7/15/13, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
With the Boss IM, you will need your tune updated.

I did my Boss IM first, then the LT Headers. Thats a tough decision to make.

Are you doing the install yourself?
Yea i figured i would need to update it. Im leaning to the kooks long tubes but im not exactly sure. And yea me and a friend. Not going to pay $100+ an hour at a shop for something we can do. What kind of a difference did you notice after the install?
Old 7/15/13, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its an american muscle tune. And they are 373s.
Something is wrong, especially your mile per hour. But part of the problem is the tune. American Muscle (Bama) tunes leave a lot to be desired.
Old 7/15/13, 04:33 PM

Something is wrong, especially your mile per hour. But part of the problem is the tune. American Muscle (Bama) tunes leave a lot to be desired.
Well locally there isnt a place that will actually do a good dyno tune. What is a good trap for that time?
Old 7/15/13, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well locally there isnt a place that will actually do a good dyno tune. What is a good trap for that time?
You don't need a dyno tune, just a tune from someone better than Bama. You should be trapping at least 116-117 minimum.
Old 7/15/13, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Even though it is much more then the Boss manifold I would look at the Cobra Jet instead since several people with Bosses are switching or trying to switch to it.
Old 7/15/13, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Even though it is much more then the Boss manifold I would look at the Cobra Jet instead since several people with Bosses are switching or trying to switch to it.
Ive never heard of it. What more can you tell me about it?
Old 7/16/13, 03:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Cobra Jet intake requires you to shift around 8000 rpm. Are you willing to do that?
Old 7/16/13, 04:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Cobra Jet intake requires you to shift around 8000 rpm. Are you willing to do that?
I believe it also requires a larger throttle body.
Old 7/16/13, 04:10 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like he just needs more seat time. Possibly better tires in the rear or just a better launch. Experimenting with shift points. Pushing every gear to red line actually loses some time unless he's set up for it correctly. Bama tunes leave hp on the table but are pretty safe. These engines are not forgiving with an aggressive tune unless its perfect. I'm sure Bama doesn't like buying people motors. I met a guy not long ago with a very well set up new GT auto. Nothing extreme except for slicks and a 100 shot. Running low 10's all day long. You have to get a game plan of what you want out of your car instead of just throwing mods at it.
Old 7/16/13, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Yea i figured i would need to update it. Im leaning to the kooks long tubes but im not exactly sure. And yea me and a friend. Not going to pay $100+ an hour at a shop for something we can do. What kind of a difference did you notice after the install?
I was quoted $1200 for installing my setup and they were going to drop the k-member and realign the wheels.

17 hours later, mine was finished in my garage on jack stands.

As far as difference, it is quiet. I run Boss 302 AB, and still have the resonators in the OTA pipes. I have been told to remove the resonators or change the AB's.

Power wise it is great.

Make sure you don't need 02 bung plugs. I needed 2 as JBA had 3 locations for my 02 sensors, and did not include them in the headers.
Old 7/16/13, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Believe this thread talks about the CJ manifold. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-interest.html
Old 7/16/13, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

+1 on that practice practice practice+ tires drag radials.

Last edited by Blown408; 7/16/13 at 09:31 AM.
Old 7/16/13, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Sounds like he just needs more seat time. Possibly better tires in the rear or just a better launch. Experimenting with shift points. Pushing every gear to red line actually loses some time unless he's set up for it correctly. Bama tunes leave hp on the table but are pretty safe. These engines are not forgiving with an aggressive tune unless its perfect.
This...

I'm running 12.33 times at 115 MPH in 1800 DA in an automatic with a Bama tune. And I have at least 100 trips down the track with it with no issues. I ain't taking my chances with any so-called "better" tunes unless there's proof it's going to survive hundreds and hundreds of runs.