5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Is a BOSS 302 INTAKE MANIFOLD worthwhile on a 13 GT 6sp?

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/12, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCE EATR
My AFR stays right at 11.7-11.8 (which is calibrated based off E10) based on the wideband at WOT... Not going up or down by .5... That's why I was saying that...

And of course it looks stronger than mine lol. I had an intake and 92 octane mail order tune. He has an intake, boss mani, cat deletes, and 93 octane dyno tune. I hope it looks stronger than mine. I have to say, his numbers are a little high though for the setup. Most are around 430 with his mods.
You say AFR is inconsistent but look how smooth his power band is, yours is very erratic. Also you say that the numbers seem high but he's got the time slip to prove it. Maybe he has a very intelligent tuner that knows his stuff when it comes to mustangs. Just because it seems unbelievable doesn't mean it's not true. Call it what you want and refute all the evidence I give you. Doesn't make a difference to me.
Old 12/22/12, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
You say AFR is inconsistent but look how smooth his power band is, yours is very erratic. Also you say that the numbers seem high but he's got the time slip to prove it. Maybe he has a very intelligent tuner that knows his stuff when it comes to mustangs. Just because it seems unbelievable doesn't mean it's not true. Call it what you want and refute all the evidence I give you. Doesn't make a difference to me.
Lol first I wanna say I'm not trying to argue.... I'm just saying for the OP, if he doesn't drive his car above 6500 rpms on a regular basis, his money is better spent elsewhere.

And his powerband is smooth because of the boss 302 intake manifold... Something I don't have... And I was just saying his number seem high. Not calling bs, just saying they seem high. Could you post the timeslip? I'd be interested in seeing it.

And the tuner is making much more power with this car than very reputable shops make with cars with similar setups with long tubes. That's one hell of an intelligent tuner...

Last edited by RCE EATR; 12/22/12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12/23/12, 05:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also you say that the numbers seem high but he's got the time slip to prove it.
His time slip is actually not impressive by any stretch. I make 50 less horsepower but beat him by 2/10 minimum. I don't doubt anything you've said but dyno numbers mean very little. Dynos are just a tool for tuning. Nothing more.
Old 12/23/12, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
His time slip is actually not impressive by any stretch. I make 50 less horsepower but beat him by 2/10 minimum. I don't doubt anything you've said but dyno numbers mean very little. Dynos are just a tool for tuning. Nothing more.
I do know that he does not have the relocation brackets like you do, he is running on stock tires. Were you also on street tires? How much do you weigh? Like I said he is at least 300, wouldn't be surprised if be was pushing 400 tbh. I'm not trying to be mean about the guy, he's really cool, but honestly he's just a big dude
Old 12/23/12, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

And the tuner is making much more power with this car than very reputable shops make with cars with similar setups with long tubes. That's one hell of an intelligent tuner...
He's his tuner has been doing this for at least 15 yrs mostly on mustangs. Not very highly publicized but if you had seen some if the other projects he has done then you might see where I'm coming from.

I'm gonna try to get that timeslip today too
Old 12/23/12, 05:55 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Driver mods, seat time, track, tires. All factors in time slips. It takes less power with a well set up car to run good numbers. Horsepower is for enjoyment. For instance, I have to fight the hell out of my car to run 11's but with my horsepower it's capable of high 10's. But it's not a race car. If I set it up to be a racer, low 11's high 10's all day long. And it would suck as just a fun car to drive.

My point: If you want a really fun ride, go for the engine mods and the dyno hp. If you want a quarter mile killer, get the chassis set up for it first. You guys would be surprised how well a stock hp GT will do when set up right.
Old 12/23/12, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I do know that he does not have the relocation brackets like you do, he is running on stock tires. Were you also on street tires? How much do you weigh? Like I said he is at least 300, wouldn't be surprised if be was pushing 400 tbh. I'm not trying to be mean about the guy, he's really cool, but honestly he's just a big dude
If he's a nice guy then you need to talk to him about his unhealthy eating habits if he's that big.

As far as car weight I have a premium automatic so I weight as much as he does in the car. The relocation brackets just fix the geometry of the lower control arms when lowering your car. If he's lowered then he would absolutely need them to correct his angle of the lowers. My best time was on beat up drag radials. Bigs and littles will be on the car come Spring and then I'm hoping to see a significant improvement.

We're getting off track here. For one to see the benefits of a Boss intake (and unless you get a tune from Performance Evolution) you have to be willing to set your shift points at minimum 7600. That's were all the big name tuners are going about their tunes. Whether the intake is worth it or not it will be different for everyone. There's no right or wrong answer.
Old 12/23/12, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im almost stock (Borla axlebacks) so no experience w/ the Boss IM but have been reading everything I can find (along with the Cobrajet). Im thinking that an IM will be a great match for my 3.73s as Im lacking tq in 6th but have plenty in low gears. I understand that 6th is essentially od but Im kinda bogging if I shift below 80mph and Id like to be able to use 6th more. Guessing a tune will help that, even if just from more HPs, but a flatter tq curve would be nice too. I thought I read that a tb will help with that. Am I getting all this right? Are there any gains below 7k? Some are saying above 4.5k. Will be tracking a few times a year but it is a dd.

Last edited by wheelman; 12/23/12 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12/23/12, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Im almost stock (Borla axlebacks) so no experience w/ the Boss IM but have been reading everything I can find (along with the Cobrajet). Im thinking that an IM will be a great match for my 3.73s as Im lacking tq in 6th but have plenty in low gears. I understand that 6th is essentially od but Im kinda bogging if I shift below 80mph and Id like to be able to use 6th more. Guessing a tune will help that, even if just from more HPs, but a flatter tq curve would be nice too. I thought I read that a tb will help with that. Am I getting all this right? Will be tracking a few times a year but it is a dd.
Jason, if I were you I'd get a tune first and drive the car that way. You'll be amazed how different the car will be. Later on you could step up to the Boss intake.
Old 12/23/12, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason, if I were you I'd get a tune first and drive the car that way. You'll be amazed how different the car will be. Later on you could step up to the Boss intake.
Yeah, waiting out the tune a bit with my warranty (suspension first) but trying to figure out what I need in the meantime and was thinking of doing both at once since the IM will need a tune. Well see how attached I am to the warranty in the coming months.
Old 12/23/12, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Im almost stock (Borla axlebacks) so no experience w/ the Boss IM but have been reading everything I can find (along with the Cobrajet). Im thinking that an IM will be a great match for my 3.73s as Im lacking tq in 6th but have plenty in low gears. I understand that 6th is essentially od but Im kinda bogging if I shift below 80mph and Id like to be able to use 6th more. Guessing a tune will help that, even if just from more HPs, but a flatter tq curve would be nice too. I thought I read that a tb will help with that. Am I getting all this right? Are there any gains below 7k? Some are saying above 4.5k. Will be tracking a few times a year but it is a dd.
The Boss manifold won't add torque, just flattens the curve. In 6th the car would be slower with the boss manifold. Get the tune and see how you like it
Old 12/23/12, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I know the tuner verry well and he did a complete build for me years ago! I do know that that graph and that dyno tune are crap! it is minipulated a lot! Matt is good on 2v,3v,and maybe gt500's but the copperhead is not his strong suit. Not one he has tuned runs the number nor traps what the Graph or owner is minipulated into thinking he has. I know this from exp from this shop and dyno! And a small town guy ( my town) is all of a sudden making more power than anyother shop with the same mods? not happening
So his weight, not a good driver blah blah blah are all excusses he can come up with for defending a crap tune!
Old 12/23/12, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi

I know the tuner verry well and he did a complete build for me years ago! I do know that that graph and that dyno tune are crap! it is minipulated a lot! Matt is good on 2v,3v,and maybe gt500's but the copperhead is not his strong suit. Not one he has tuned runs the number nor traps what the Graph or owner is minipulated into thinking he has. I know this from exp from this shop and dyno! And a small town guy ( my town) is all of a sudden making more power than anyother shop with the same mods? not happening
So his weight, not a good driver blah blah blah are all excusses he can come up with for defending a crap tune!
Ah I forgot the resident know it all had yet to chime in. Tell me what he should run at 450 rwhp then?
Old 12/23/12, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Ah I forgot the resident know it all had yet to chime in. Tell me what he should run at 450 rwhp then?
I'll tell you he should trap around 120mph with 450whp even if he is fat... What did he run?
Old 12/23/12, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll tell you he should trap around 120mph with 450whp even if he is fat... What did he run?
Haha no way should it be 120. More like 116 or so, stock GT500's don't even do 120. I've got his timeslip here

Name:  image-3099447038.jpg
Views: 8202
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 12/23/12, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha no way should it be 120. More like 116 or so, stock GT500's don't even do 120. I've got his timeslip here

Attachment 126538
Ok not to be a jerk, but the dyno guy must be fudging his numbers... There's NO WAY is he making 450whp and running that slow lol... Guys trap around 117-118 making around 420whp that's why I said around 120 at 450whp.

With 393whp I ran 12.39 @ 114.7mph with the same 1.89 60' time. Yeah I'm probably 100lbs lighter than him, but that doesn't mean I should be faster than a car with over 50 more whp than me...

Last edited by RCE EATR; 12/23/12 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12/23/12, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Attachment 126538
ha ha tool bag how does the sweat taste off that guys 300+ lbs *****??

know wtf your talking about before you type ... a 450 whp 5.0 should and will trap in the 120-125 mph range.. A dyno is a tuning tool and all maters what it runs and traps, and his does not back up the numbers with et's or mph, he runs at the same track and I am telling you from knowing the Car, the Shop the Tuner it is a hey "look what I made" dyno sheet!

to give you an example multiple friends, forum members and people with less mods run harder and faster at the same track same prep and same day! and 3 of them including mine are 418-430 rwhp range and mine being the least power 418 rwhp traps in the 118 consitiantly, with the other 2011-2012 trapping 122-125.. so again like I said get off the guys nuts.. Car is what it is and I have called him out to run and he has declined a few times!

Last edited by stang8psi; 12/23/12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12/24/12, 03:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Never had mine dynoed.

Here is my buddies dyno graph.

Attachment 126417

He has boss intake, c&l CAI, cat deletes, and 93 octane dyno tune from performance evolution in Delaware
That Dyno graph is way off...with the Boss Manifold, no way he is making that kind of power below 7000. Sorry, too many other graphs show running the car out to 7750 with those mods are making no where near that power level. I have basically the same mods with a Steeda tune. There might be tuners out there making more power...but not 30 more at that low.
Old 12/24/12, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Ok not to be a jerk, but the dyno guy must be fudging his numbers... There's NO WAY is he making 450whp and running that slow lol... Guys trap around 117-118 making around 420whp that's why I said around 120 at 450whp.

With 393whp I ran 12.39 @ 114.7mph with the same 1.89 60' time. Yeah I'm probably 100lbs lighter than him, but that doesn't mean I should be faster than a car with over 50 more whp than me...

Different dynes will make numbers seem high. This was a big issue when I was in the Subaru world. If he is on a dynojet Dyno, the numbers of let's say 450/420 would be pretty comparable to like 415/390 on a mustang Dyno. A Dyno is just a tuning tool, and a tuner should always show a before and after curve to see the difference. Numbers don't mean ****. Times do. So with that being said I agree with you RCE EATR
Old 12/24/12, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
Different dynes will make numbers seem high. This was a big issue when I was in the Subaru world. If he is on a dynojet Dyno, the numbers of let's say 450/420 would be pretty comparable to like 415/390 on a mustang Dyno. A Dyno is just a tuning tool, and a tuner should always show a before and after curve to see the difference. Numbers don't mean ****. Times do. So with that being said I agree with you RCE EATR
Yeah but a dynojet should read VERY close to another dynojet. They are the most consistent with the least amount of variables. Mustang dynos, dyno dynamics, etc can vary a lot, but not dynojets... And this guy posted a dynojet run and my 393whp was on a dynojet... I was thinking maybe that one that was posted was STD but after looking it was SAE. So I'm not sure how it could be so far off unless the guy operating it is doing it on purpose to make it look like he can make amazing power.. And I really hate when tuners do that...

And you're right, times mean something. The fact I run faster than him making supposedly over 50whp less is your proof right there...

Quick Reply: Is a BOSS 302 INTAKE MANIFOLD worthwhile on a 13 GT 6sp?