The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   Is a BOSS 302 INTAKE MANIFOLD worthwhile on a 13 GT 6sp? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/boss-302-intake-manifold-worthwhile-13-gt-6sp-516832/)

Mustang66 12/21/12 07:50 AM

Is a BOSS 302 INTAKE MANIFOLD worthwhile on a 13 GT 6sp?

I am about to install a JLT CAI - 107mm - and a good performance tune on a 2013 GT with 6 SP. The issue of adding a BOSS 302 Intake Manifold has been brought up several times.

The car is completely stock. I will NOT be adding any other Mods. No cams, SP, Headers, Exhausts, etc. The car will not go to the track.

Is adding the BOSS 302 Intake Manifold worthwhile given this situation?

I will already pick up about 30 RWHP from the CAI and Tune. What additional HP would I pick up with the Intake? How would it efect the streetability of the car?

Any input is appreciated.

conv_stang 12/21/12 08:37 AM

Depends on your driving style. If its never going to see the track and you don't spend time above 6000rpm's then it's not going to be worth the cost of the intake, new CAI, install kit bc you won't tell much difference over the stock intake.

2012GT 12/21/12 09:18 AM

Most people do it for looks and " hey look what I have ". Some lose power some don't. It's definitely for high rpms. Even then, your intake is superb. If you tracked the car, you'd probably already be in a Boss mustang. Save your cash for tint, gas, synthetic oil, etc. Your mods will be awesome already. You should entertain the thought of an axle back exhaust of your choice.

GrabberBlue5.0 12/21/12 12:58 PM

You have to be willing to shift at 7600 minimum to see the benefits. Plus you didn't state whether you had a six speed manual or auto, or what gears you have if you have a manual.

grabberblue 5.0 12/21/12 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 (Post 6514815)
You have to be willing to shift at 7600 minimum to see the benefits. Plus you didn't state whether you had a six speed manual or auto, or what gears you have if you have a manual.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen guys with peak tq at 7k or just south of that and have elected to shift at 7200. And one guy had peak at 6800 and still pushin almost 450 to the wheels

GrabberBlue5.0 12/21/12 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6514845)
That's not necessarily true. I've seen guys with peak tq at 7k or just south of that and have elected to shift at 7200. And one guy had peak at 6800 and still pushin almost 450 to the wheels

You said the same thing on Mustang Evolution but that guy supposedly making 450 horsepower ran a 12 second time slip. Something doesn't jive there. Dyno numbers can be made to look good. Trust me if it looks to good to be true, it usually is.

grabberblue 5.0 12/21/12 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 (Post 6514856)
You said the same thing on Mustang Evolution but that guy supposedly making 450 horsepower ran a 12 second time slip. Something doesn't jive there. Dyno numbers can be made to look good. Trust me if it looks to good to be true, it usually is.

His time slip was 12.1 or so on stock tires, what's hard to believe about that?

It also doesn't help that he's a big guy, I mean cool as hell but he's not a small guy

t-fatty 12/21/12 08:54 PM

Pass.

black5.0 12/21/12 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 (Post 6514815)

None of that matters, if he 's not tracking the car don't bother.

JerseyGT 12/22/12 11:28 AM

OP said he isn't tracking the car: IMO it isn't worth the money. I did a lot of research on it before I started on my ride and decided against it. Unless you want it for the looks aspect...

RCE EATR 12/22/12 11:33 AM

OP unless you want it for looks, don't get it. You will lose a little low end torque to gain some power above 6500 rpms...

grabberblue 5.0 12/22/12 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RCE EATR (Post 6515364)
OP unless you want it for looks, don't get it. You will lose a little low end torque to gain some power above 6500 rpms...

I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it a thousand more...

A good tuner will be able to tune your car into no tq loss and may even give you some tq gains.

And 4500 rpms is where the power increase over stock, not 6500, not sure where you heard that

RCE EATR 12/22/12 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6515381)

A good tuner will be able to tune your car into no tq loss and may even give you some tq gains.

And 4500 rpms is where the power increase over stock, not 6500, not sure where you heard that

Every tuner I've talked to has said there is a slight loss of torque which has been shown in several dyno graphs... Here's one for instance showing the slight loss of torque since the stock manifold has that little increase in the midrange that the boss 302 mani doesn't have. And it also shows the significant hp gains are to be had above 6500 rpms...

http://speednik.com/files/2011/02/Bo...er-640x300.jpg

GrabberBlue5.0 12/22/12 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6515381)

Post up your graph so we can see it. And who did your tune with the Boss intake?

grabberblue 5.0 12/22/12 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never had mine dynoed.

Here is my buddies dyno graph.

Attachment 126417

He has boss intake, c&l CAI, cat deletes, and 93 octane dyno tune from performance evolution in Delaware

RCE EATR 12/22/12 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0 (Post 6515403)
Never had mine dynoed.

Here is my buddies dyno graph.

Attachment 126417

He has boss intake, c&l CAI, cat deletes, and 93 octane dyno tune from performance evolution in Delaware

Those number seem hard to believe... The car does seem to be running a little lean and isn't consistent with the AFR.

Either way though, do you have a before dyno graph from before the boss intake manifold? You can clearly see in that graph that there isn't the increase in mid range like is seen with the stock intake...

Even on my last personal dyno graph you can see the increase in the mid range with the stock intake manifold with both my original tune from Lund and then the tune from Bama (american muscle) after I switched to them. Same mods both runs on the same dyno.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...66178411_n.jpg

GrabberBlue5.0 12/22/12 01:06 PM

Without question that graph shows the car is running lean. Also for someone to run a mid 12 pass with 450 horsepower seems a little hard to swallow. Not saying it didn't happen.

grabberblue 5.0 12/22/12 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RCE EATR (Post 6515410)

Those number seem hard to believe... The car does seem to be running a little lean and isn't consistent with the AFR.

Either way though, do you have a before dyno graph from before the boss intake manifold? You can clearly see in that graph that there isn't the increase in mid range like is seen with the stock intake...

Even on my last personal dyno graph you can see the increase in the mid range with the stock intake manifold with both my original tune from Lund and then the tune from Bama (american muscle) after I switched to them. Same mods both runs on the same dyno.

Reread the AFR graph, never drops below 12.0 and barely goes above 12.5 not sure how that's lean or inconsistent. It fooled me the first time I read it to, but look at the values all the way to the left and reread.

No I do not have a before, but The entire graph is stronger than yours is, on both runs. And his is a custom dyno tune, there was no switching tunes.

And now that I've provided this for you, you doubt it because it doesn't make sense in your own mind.

Yea dynos can be manipulated but he's running low 12's on stock 245 pirellis.

grabberblue 5.0 12/22/12 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 (Post 6515420)
Without question that graph shows the car is running lean. Also for someone to run a mid 12 pass with 450 horsepower seems a little hard to swallow. Not saying it didn't happen.

Low 12's, I told you that earlier in the thread, driver weight is easily over 300 lbs, I also told you that. Again reread the values to the left of the AFR scale and look at the graph again. 12.0-12.5

RCE EATR 12/22/12 03:36 PM

My AFR stays right at 11.7-11.8 (which is calibrated based off E10) based on the wideband at WOT... Not going up or down by .5... That's why I was saying that...

And of course it looks stronger than mine lol. I had an intake and 92 octane mail order tune. He has an intake, boss mani, cat deletes, and 93 octane dyno tune. I hope it looks stronger than mine. I have to say, his numbers are a little high though for the setup. Most are around 430 with his mods.