Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Borla vs Other Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/21, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Borla vs Other Exhaust

I really enjoyed the Borla S-types on my mustang. I performed the GT500 valance install and added the GT500 mufflers. With my procharger the GT500 mufflers tend to get drown out.....yes I know that the PC will tend to louder, but the s-type was great because it louder than the touring/GT500 mufflers, but its not like the ATAK where the neighborhood knows when you start the car. I however; cannot stand Borla customer service. Both interactions I have had with them led to the most egotistical customer reps I have ever had the displeasure of running into, which makes me start to wonder about the other exhaust companies out there. Not to mention Borla discontinued selling the GT500 s-type axleback (11830) separately so I would have to buy the cat-back system, which of course Borla throws a fit about because its a GT500 exhaust on a GT (even though both pipes are 2.75"). And yes I do understand fluid dynamics and how an exhaust system works.

I have magnaflows on my other car and they sound amazing, a little drone around 2500, but its not obnoxious. I have heard the Magnaflow competition has major drone issues, but the street doesn't. I have also heard that the Flowmasters are super drone-y as well. So I guess my question is what brands do you guys recommend? Should I suck it up and buy the Borla catback, keep an eye out for just the axleback, or go with another company. I would prefer to stay away from the Corsa just because I prefer the deeper tones like the Borla.

Thoughts?
Old 4/1/21, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Borla axel backs on my V6, they were very easy to install and give it a nice deep tone. The sound level is perfect, just enough to enjoy but not enough to be intrusive, no drone at all. My only complaint is that the exhaust tips are too large, they do fill out the bumper cutouts but in my opinion are a bit cartoonish.
I have had nothing but outstanding customer service from Borla, my first set did not line up well, one tip was noticeably higher than the other so I sent them an email asking the best way to adjust the hangers, they shipped me a new pair. A year later one of them developed a rattle, again they shipped me a new pair, no questions asked. Just make sure you hang on to your receipt, they do ask for that if you need warranty help.
Old 4/2/21, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you run the s-type or the atak?
Old 4/2/21, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
I have the Borla Touring on my V6 Mustang and on my F150 with the 6.2 in it. I had Roush on the truck when I bought it and it was nicknamed the Drone Master Exhaust. To me the Touring was loud enough since I tow with the truck and the Mustang is basically the louder they are the more obnoxious they are and that is the V6 or the Coyote but the 3.7 is way more obnoxious than the 5.0.
You could always go with the Ford Racing Sport for the GT500, they are still Borla but built to Fords Racing Specs