5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Borla Full Catback on my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/13, 11:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Borla Full Catback on my 5.0

So, some updates, I went for a drive today just to drive. 40 degrees again, so I turned up the heat then lowered the windows.

The difference between just my s type axlebacks is night and day. It sounds SO much better. I also have never had so many people look, smile, and give thumbs up in just 1 hour of driving around town lol

I think the s types cat back truly cradled the peak of the bell curve of too loud and too soft. It's just perfect. A little more would be too loud... Less would be too soft.

For fun, I drove by a parking garage and recorded this. The number of people during this time that looked was HILARIOUS.

===============================

EDIT AND UPDATE:
Alright guys... Install at shop is complete. Took them slightly over an hour. A lot of the time was spent aligning everything together. I believe 100% that this time, taking it to the shop was the right choice. Being on my back, car only on stands, then worrying about aligning everything and banging my arms and scraping my skin.... Blah, I just waited in the shop lobby with my buddy and shot the sh*t for an hour. Perfect.

Ok so the verdict.... I thought the sound difference between the axleback s types and the full catback would be hardly noticeable. Boy was I wrong. I would give the sound rating about a 8 for axleback, 9 for the full catback, then 10 is for the Atak system

It's not just volume that I got though.... The sound was just throatier, deeper, and just meaner sounding. It just is a lot "cleaner" sounding, you know? Like it was meant to be. It was just bliss to my ears. Everyone at the shop just stood there and listened.... Heads bobbed and nodded in agreement, etc. on the way out, they wanted me to "put the hammer down" lol. Of course I obliged. Passersby crane their necks, and an old lady on her cell phone shook her head in disgust (perfect, I thought to myself). Best part was some city service workers were busy working on the road, I went by them twice.... And they all looked up with a smile and thumbs up. Priceless.

Anyways... Those are my thoughts. Best exhaust purchase I have made. I am glad I went this route versus the boss H quads. Not sure how that would have sounded compared... I'm sure good, but who knows.

Here's pics and vids. The quality and fit of borla is as usual, top notch.

At the shop first start

In car vid

At home, neighbor holding iPhone

Here's a pic of it too, undercarriage, installed at shop.

Thanks to all who helped me decide on this. Next on my list, Roush charger... Lol

================================

For those of you who have been following my endeavors.... Guess why I took a 1/2 day today?

I found these waiting for me at my front door at lunch

Getting them installed this afternoon at the shop.

Will update with post pics and vids with sound of course.
Attached Thumbnails Borla Full Catback on my 5.0-image-4116557988.jpg   Borla Full Catback on my 5.0-image-2289788464.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/23/13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 3/22/13, 12:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Borla S on a 5.0 mmmmmm!!! I'm jealous!!!
Old 3/22/13, 01:10 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Borla S on a 5.0 mmmmmm!!! I'm jealous!!!
Wait till I post the vid of when I first start her
Old 3/22/13, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're still waiting for the vid. Let's get a move on!
Old 3/22/13, 02:52 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice choice. You will love them.

I have the Borla S catback on my GT500.
Old 3/22/13, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

i have the Borla ATAK catback on my 2010 GT and it's pretty rad. i can't imagine any Borla system, ATAK or otherwise, on a 5.0 sounding less than amazing.
Old 3/22/13, 05:43 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
We're still waiting for the vid. Let's get a move on!
Patience shall be rewarded hehe kidding... Vid and pics are complete!!!

Originally Posted by MJJ
Nice choice. You will love them.

I have the Borla S catback on my GT500.
Thx mjj.... I had the s type axleback already on them prior. Borla rocks, period.

Originally Posted by OMG of War
i have the Borla ATAK catback on my 2010 GT and it's pretty rad. i can't imagine any Borla system, ATAK or otherwise, on a 5.0 sounding less than amazing.
I second, third, and quadruple that comment. Borla ftw.

Alright guys... Install at shop is complete. Took them slightly over an hour. A lot of the time was spent aligning everything together. I believe 100% that this time, taking it to the shop was the right choice. Being on my back, car only on stands, then worrying about aligning everything and banging my arms and scraping my skin.... Blah, I just waited in the shop lobby with my buddy and shot the sh*t for an hour. Perfect.

Ok so the verdict.... I thought the sound difference between the axleback s types and the full catback would be hardly noticeable. Boy was I wrong. I would give the sound rating about a 8 for axleback, 9 for the full catback, then 10 is for the Atak system

It's not just volume that I got though.... The sound was just throatier, deeper, and just meaner sounding. It just is a lot "cleaner" sounding, you know? Like it was meant to be. It was just bliss to my ears. Everyone at the shop just stood there and listened.... Heads bobbed and nodded in agreement, etc. on the way out, they wanted me to "put the hammer down" lol. Of course I obliged. Passersby crane their necks, and an old lady on her cell phone shook her head in disgust (perfect, I thought to myself). Best part was some city service workers were busy working on the road, I went by them twice.... And they all looked up with a smile and thumbs up. Priceless.

Anyways... Those are my thoughts. Best exhaust purchase I have made. I am glad I went this route versus the boss H quads. Not sure how that would have sounded compared... I'm sure good, but who knows.

Here's pics and vids. The quality and fit of borla is as usual, top notch.

At the shop first start

In car vid

At home, neighbor holding iPhone

Here's a pic of it too, undercarriage, installed at shop.

Thanks to all who helped me decide on this. Next on my list, Roush charger... Lol
Attached Thumbnails Borla Full Catback on my 5.0-image-1012688399.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/22/13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 3/22/13, 06:01 PM
GT Member

And he keeps his promise! Vids hooray! Sounds awesome bud.
Old 3/22/13, 10:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Love it!
Old 3/23/13, 12:03 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
THAT is the way a mustang should sound - AWESOME I just love it!
Old 3/23/13, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

VERY nice! Congrats on "old lady shaking head." Now if you could get one to make an obscene gesture...
Old 3/23/13, 03:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome
Old 3/23/13, 05:54 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Fullahead
And he keeps his promise! Vids hooray! Sounds awesome bud.
Haha of course! What is a man, if he cannot stick to his word?

Thanks for the props... The vids tell less than half the story. iPhones are great, but I don't think any non professional sound recording device could ever capture what my (and that old lady) ears hear. It's just something people have to hear in person to truly judge its magnificence.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Love it!
Thanks Kyle! How's Lucy? She all fixed up? We need to do an Iowa Illinois meet! Lol

Originally Posted by Xar
THAT is the way a mustang should sound - AWESOME I just love it!
Thanks xar! I agree. I know folks have overused that term, "it's how a mustang should have sounded from the factory". I'm even guilty of using it. However, nothing could be more true.

Originally Posted by max5ive0
VERY nice! Congrats on "old lady shaking head." Now if you could get one to make an obscene gesture...
You should have seen her. I should have yelled out "get off that d*mn cell phone lady. You shouldn't be on it in the first place" lol

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Awesome
Thanks sir. How is Europe this time of year?

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/23/13 at 05:56 AM.
Old 3/23/13, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You just convinced me to save for this set-up. Oh and today in Europe it's a high of 34 where I am. No white stuff though. It was 9 last week when I was out Army camping.
Old 3/23/13, 01:06 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
You just convinced me to save for this set-up. Oh and today in Europe it's a high of 34 where I am. No white stuff though. It was 9 last week when I was out Army camping.
Steve, I can honestly say you will not be disappointed. No way.

So, some updates, I went for a drive today just to drive. 40 degrees again, so I turned up the heat then lowered the windows.

The difference between just my s type axlebacks is night and day. It sounds SO much better. I also have never had so many people look, smile, and give thumbs up in just 1 hour of driving around town lol

I think the s types cat back truly cradled the peak of the bell curve of too loud and too soft. It's just perfect. A little more would be too loud... Less would be too soft.

For fun, I drove by a parking garage and recorded this. The number of people during this time that looked was HILARIOUS.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/23/13 at 01:12 PM.
Old 3/23/13, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
She sounds superb

'Lil ol England has been blanketed in snow again today. The temperature is just above freezing.

I'm hoping for a turnaround in the weather so I can give my baby a good clay bar session over the Easter weekend. Might be wishful thinking
Old 3/23/13, 03:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure that I won't be. While I was under the car today installing the Barton I noticed how the stock resonators were ridiculous and I want to be rid of them.
Old 3/23/13, 03:25 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm sure that I won't be. While I was under the car today installing the Barton I noticed how the stock resonators were ridiculous and I want to be rid of them.
Yeah my shop guys thought I ran over a speed bump too fast and flattened one of the resonators. I told them that was factory like that lol. They didn't believe me.

The borla over axles without the res's are so much better
Old 3/23/13, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

How's the drone with the full cat back? Hopefully none! Sounds awesome btw.
Old 3/23/13, 06:00 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by xlover
How's the drone with the full cat back? Hopefully none! Sounds awesome btw.
Thanks man. That's why I went with borla. They guarantee ZERO drone in any rpm. And I can confirm that. Same with any one else on here that has borla. No drone.

Quick Reply: Borla Full Catback on my 5.0