Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Best forced induction for under 8k

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/13, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best forced induction for under 8k

I have about 8k saved right now and been looking at adding either a turbo or a supercharger to my 2011 GT.. So if yall had 8k which route would you take and what brand and why??
Old 1/30/13, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZackeryJc
I have about 8k saved right now and been looking at adding either a turbo or a supercharger to my 2011 GT.. So if yall had 8k which route would you take and what brand and why??
You should first compare the top mounted roots style and the centrifugal style and see which one you would like better
Old 1/30/13, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

When figuring out what you can afford for that $8k, don't forget to factor in that you need ( or should consider ) a twin disc clutch. The McLeod RXT and RST are good from what I've heard - which one you get depends on the level of street-ability you need.
Old 1/30/13, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor

What are you looking for in a supercharger? What are our plans for the car? I've always enjoyed PD blowers as I like the instant power. You have a number of options!
Old 1/30/13, 08:10 PM
GT Member

if i had 8g to spend it would be on a vortec, clutch, and long tubes. that should leave you a g or so for tuning and expenses.
Old 1/30/13, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
When figuring out what you can afford for that $8k, don't forget to factor in that you need ( or should consider ) a twin disc clutch. The McLeod RXT and RST are good from what I've heard - which one you get depends on the level of street-ability you need.
Thanks for the info.. I will look into those. I am just going to use the car for mostly street use with acouple times at the track
Old 1/30/13, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kris Warwick

if i had 8g to spend it would be on a vortec, clutch, and long tubes. that should leave you a g or so for tuning and expenses.
Ive thought about that route and also twin turbo or kb.. I would like numbers up around 650hp
Old 1/30/13, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Ive thought about that route and also twin turbo or kb.. I would like numbers up around 650hp

KBs run way to hot. if you want a positive displacement go wipple. twin turbos will eat up all your budget and leave no room for error. vortec/paxton kit with 8psi is good for 600+, 11-12 psi and your making 700 with a few supporting mods(exhaust, boss intake). you tube beefcake racing. A couple guys at my track are running the vortech/paxton kit on otherwise stock cars with 15" rims and slicks and there kicking of 10.30 times at 130+. all on 93oct and a safe steetable tune. when you get over the 600hp mark you with need things besides a clutch too. like a 1 piece drive shaft, bigger fuel pump. cost add up quick. turbos are cool but the benefit per dollar just isnt there. I will be putting my money into a black vortech kit. positive displacment is cool because it make your motor feel twice as big, but they get super hot and take forever to cool back down. turbos make crazy power but take allot of risk: boost creep, compressor surge. and the install is a major undertaking. the centri superchargers make solid power, pull like a frieight train and are reliable. plus witha 40$ tool lit and some "want to" you can intal it in your driveway in just 5-6 hours. also i know that there are people that can get the vortec/paxton kit with injectors and a smaller pulleys(stock kits are 6.5psi i belive) for under 5gs.
Old 1/30/13, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Old 1/30/13, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Old 1/30/13, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kris Warwick

KBs run way to hot. if you want a positive displacement go wipple. twin turbos will eat up all your budget and leave no room for error. vortec/paxton kit with 8psi is good for 600+, 11-12 psi and your making 700 with a few supporting mods(exhaust, boss intake). you tube beefcake racing. A couple guys at my track are running the vortech/paxton kit on otherwise stock cars with 15" rims and slicks and there kicking of 10.30 times at 130+. all on 93oct and a safe steetable tune. when you get over the 600hp mark you with need things besides a clutch too. like a 1 piece drive shaft, bigger fuel pump. cost add up quick. turbos are cool but the benefit per dollar just isnt there. I will be putting my money into a black vortech kit. positive displacment is cool because it make your motor feel twice as big, but they get super hot and take forever to cool back down. turbos make crazy power but take allot of risk: boost creep, compressor surge. and the install is a major undertaking. the centri superchargers make solid power, pull like a frieight train and are reliable. plus witha 40$ tool lit and some "want to" you can intal it in your driveway in just 5-6 hours. also i know that there are people that can get the vortec/paxton kit with injectors and a smaller pulleys(stock kits are 6.5psi i belive) for under 5gs.
Nice, I looked at the black vortec and thats also on my list.. mite run that route since all the other parts add up and will run over my budget.. thanks
Old 1/31/13, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I say the vortech or paxton with a good tune and exhaust your up well over 600whp. And you'll have a lot of money to spare to put towards a clutch.
Old 1/31/13, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

If it were me, I'd keep saving and go with either 2.9L Whipple or the 2.8LC Kenne Bell and upgrade your clutch at the same time... It might take you a while longer to save to get there, but IMO it will be worth it. This is what I plan on doing once my warranty is up, but I'll do forged internals as well just to be safe... It all depends on what you want to do and your long term plans for the car.
Old 1/31/13, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

If it were me, I'd keep saving and go with either 2.9L Whipple or the 2.8LC Kenne Bell and upgrade your clutch at the same time... It might take you a while longer to save to get there, but IMO it will be worth it. This is what I plan on doing once my warranty is up, but I'll do forged internals as well just to be safe... It all depends on what you want to do and your long term plans for the car.
My first plan was add the kb 2.8lc but added everything up and it will put me over 10k with install without clutch etc. Still one of my options but would have to wait a few more months lol
Old 1/31/13, 02:26 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Vortec should make a full kit with no extras needed. Also price a full Roush system.
Old 1/31/13, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice, I looked at the black vortec and thats also on my list.. mite run that route since all the other parts add up and will run over my budget.. thanks
Not sure if this will help on your decision but I had the black Vortech kit on my '05 GT and it made great power!!! No problems what so ever, internal lubricated so NO tapping of the oil pan, car drove like stock until you got into it and then hold on. What I absolutely loved was it looked totally stock. The black color just made the kit fade into the engine bay area. And no sound of the blower at all, totally silent. I would pull up to a show and no one would know my car had a blower, but the loud exhaust might have a part in that. The folks at Vortech were extremely helpful with any questions we had during the install. I just wanted to let you know my experience with my Vortech kit was only positive and really woke up the car. If I decide to put a supercharger on my '11 GT I will be going with a very similar kit as my '05. And I remember their kits are usually less expensive than other ones, but not by a lot though.
Old 1/31/13, 08:46 PM
Former Vendor

you can't really show Beefcakes car, you're looking at a fully forged engine and a whole slew of other parts. 20k plus in performance parts. I won't lie though, Paxton and Vortech offer some fantastic performance upgrades for the cost but for how long? Has anyone ran these on their car for 30-40 or even 50k miles? I know you can run a TVS and a whipple for that long and still be worry free. I wouldn't run a KB on anything, if you live anywhere with heat you'll have issues also I've never seen a KB blower last as long as Roush or Whipple. For 8k you could get a Roush TVS capable of 600+ RWHP and have room left over for a clutch and flywheel.
Old 1/31/13, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
you can't really show Beefcakes car, you're looking at a fully forged engine and a whole slew of other parts. 20k plus in performance parts. I won't lie though, Paxton and Vortech offer some fantastic performance upgrades for the cost but for how long? Has anyone ran these on their car for 30-40 or even 50k miles? I know you can run a TVS and a whipple for that long and still be worry free. I wouldn't run a KB on anything, if you live anywhere with heat you'll have issues also I've never seen a KB blower last as long as Roush or Whipple. For 8k you could get a Roush TVS capable of 600+ RWHP and have room left over for a clutch and flywheel.
yeah, i just showing it because of the traffic and how it drives. Not the dyno numbers except for a as a yard stick to judge its street manners.

i had vortec on my 01 gt a decade ago and put 40k+ on the blower with no issues. i know the the blocks have been letting go at around 800-850 crank after lot of abuse. but ive not heard of any issues with the blowers. the centris run cooler than any PD blower; screw, roots, or tvs. and the air to air intercooler are more efficent than a air/water/manifold set up. so you can run the same boost with cooler temps and run more timing and make more power per pound of boost. the centris also have less drag than a PD so less power is lost to turning the blower. as well for tuning purposes; a blow through MAF post intercooler a few inches from the throttle body will have a cleaner signal and less delay than a MAF reading vacuum 2 feet away from the manifold. in the end the all the blowers( -KB) are all fairly reliable. the life of the motor comes down to how far its pushed and the tune. PDs give the HUGE motor feel and make a 5.0 feel like rev happy 8.0, the centris are more like a turbo with a more linear powerband and high end power.
Old 1/31/13, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

check out brenspeed.com ... they're fi sections have great info and videos with dyno numbers to boot. good luck in your endeavors, can't wait to see what you get!
Old 2/1/13, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I went 10.35 with a Roush TVS, stock air box, 82mm pulley, pump gas, long tube headers and minor suspension work.
All this under 8K

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 2/5/13 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Best forced induction for under 8k