Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Barton or MGW

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/13, 08:39 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
I got a good deal on an un-used Steeda Tri Ax so once Barton came out with the improved 2 post design I pulled the trigger.

I prefer the easier installation, MGWs are awesome but the Steeda/Barton combo is a really great improvement.
The Steeda combo doesn't get the love around here that the MGW and Barton do and I'm not sure why that is. When I upgraded my shifter I looked at all three with cost not being an issue. I had an MGW on my '08 and loved it and it would have been my first choice for my '13 but I wanted an easier install. I looked at the Barton but thought the 40% throw reduction would be more than I would like based on my driving style. For those reasons I went with the Steeda Tri-Ax and Steeda bushing. The entire package cost $300 delivered. For that price you get both a high and low durometer bushings and an extra (stiffer) spring for the reverse lockout. I installed mine with the standard spring and putting it into reverse is no more difficult than when stock. I used the high durometer bushing and NVH is not an issue since, imo, the slight increase in sound is nice. I assume if I had installed the low durometer bushing there would be no increase in NVH at all. The "throw" is similar to what it was in my '08 with the MGW at 5 turns (35% I think) and is perfect for the way I drive. I can power shift second or third without fear of missing or grinding. I couldn't be happier with the shifter and would recommend it to anyone considering replacing the stock unit. There is no doubt that the MGW is engineered to the highest standard and the Barton is an excellent piece but when comparing shifters, the Steeda should be on everyone's list.
Old 3/6/13, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just placed my order for the MGW, cant wait to get it and install it so I can get rid of the p.o.s factory shifter.

How do you recomend jacking the car up? using ramps or jack with jack stands?? I dont have access to a lift.
Old 3/6/13, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate ramps. Sometimes they try to skid forward on you as you start to climb them. Find a good jacking point, find some good jack stands and get busy!
Old 3/8/13, 07:16 AM
V6 Member

I read all the threads too and the MGW looks to address all that can be addressed with the shifter. Now the issue is how much of the shifting issues are shifter or tranny

So I'm doing daily driver that may see HPDE several times and drag strip maybe once. But I do drive the streets in a very spirited mode and with only 400 miles on the car, I am very unhappy with shifting. So if I had unlimited cash and was going road racing I think I would go MGW, but I'm not! So I thinking the Steeda shifter with their new bracket. I can get for $270 to my door so for the money and the driving I do and the ease of installation I may go this route. I agree that Steeda setup does not get the credit it should, not as good as MGW setup, but maybe good enough for ost of us.
Old 3/8/13, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
I hate ramps. Sometimes they try to skid forward on you as you start to climb them. Find a good jacking point, find some good jack stands and get busy!
I just bought some Race Ramps - these do not skid
Old 3/8/13, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

I always spam my 'how to install' thread every so often in the hopes it helps others get their MGW installed properly. Pay special attention on the instruction sheet that describes how to properly install the dust boot, and the recommended technique to stretch it out and make it fit. Good feedback from others too in this thread;

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2653.0

I also recommend getting this floor jack for your Mustang if you need one;

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4004.0

And yes, in colder climates, be ready for a lot stiffer and at first notchier feel, especially when it's brand new. Once broken in though, it's great.

Old 3/8/13, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
I just bought some Race Ramps - these do not skid
Those are nice. But don't they cost more than a nice jack, 4 jack stands, and an engine stand combined? I just used scrap lumber ( 2 x 10 ) and layered them to make ramps. 15 minutes and some screws and I was good to go.
Old 3/8/13, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Wow, 2 more weeks to go PaxtonShelby....

Try that on for size. PM me your VIN and I can ty to let you know when it gets on the train to your local rail spur. Now THAT will give you insomnia, cause then you will know to a 1 or 2 day window when your baby will arrive...
Old 3/8/13, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Thank you Len for the support.

Our shifter was developed, engineered, and manufactured in house by our Steeda team. The Steeda team is comprised of many racers that have tested and tested this shifter ...

We have determind that the 20% throw is ideal for the driver, the transmission and ultimately for not missing a gear. Our shifter gives you the confidence that when you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear that you will hit the correct gear as opposed to having a gummy feeling and shifting back into 1st , into 5th, or just missing a shift. Our shifter has crossed the finish line in first place more times than the competition and that is something we are proud of.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/8/13, 03:18 PM
V6 Member

I just bought the Steeda Tri Ax. I know the others are good but I enjoyed the Steeda so much on two previous cars that I was hesitant to change.
Old 3/8/13, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Wow, 2 more weeks to go PaxtonShelby....

Race Red 2013 Track Pack Mustang GT - YouTube

Try that on for size. PM me your VIN and I can ty to let you know when it gets on the train to your local rail spur. Now THAT will give you insomnia, cause then you will know to a 1 or 2 day window when your baby will arrive...
Hey thanks ace! I'll PM you shortly!
Old 3/9/13, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Thank you Len for the support.

Our shifter was developed, engineered, and manufactured in house by our Steeda team. The Steeda team is comprised of many racers that have tested and tested this shifter ...

We have determind that the 20% throw is ideal for the driver, the transmission and ultimately for not missing a gear. Our shifter gives you the confidence that when you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear that you will hit the correct gear as opposed to having a gummy feeling and shifting back into 1st , into 5th, or just missing a shift. Our shifter has crossed the finish line in first place more times than the competition and that is something we are proud of.

Best Regards,

TJ
Its a shame you couldn't build the MT-82 shifter like my old Tr-3650 Tri-Ax... I loved the way the spring always found 3rd... I ending up with the MGW to get my fix...