Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

BAMA 5.0 tune disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/14, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAMA 5.0 tune disappointment

Well, started my first round of mods today. I installed a Ford Racing shifter and an SCT tuner from BAMA. The shifter is awesome! Absolutely love it. Tuner, not so much......disappointed to say the least. I wanted the "ghost cam" sound and specifically put that in the comments of the questionnaire sent to me to set up my "custom tunes." I get the programmer, install it both on performance setting and race setting.......no sound changes at all.

I call BAMA and the guy tells me they won't write that ghost cam tune unless I have the cats deleted. WOW! Thanks for telling me this AFTER you build and send my tune! The one specific thing I wanted from the tuner they WON'T do without the cats removed or a cat delete kit. WTF! I would have waited on the tuner purchase and bought the exhaust set up I want first if I knew that. Great (NOT) customer service! A heads up from BAMA that I would not get what I really wanted before putting this all together and sending it to me would have greatly decreased my disappointment and probably would have caused me to spend money on something else from their shop instead. Well not anymore, you don't take care of the customer, the customer finds an new vendor to purchase from.

Sorry just a bit fired up after that waste of time and money.
Old 2/21/14, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lots of AM unsatisfiled customers turning up lately. Whats happening. is it just the BAMA tune or the whole network is failing. Sad to see this happen.
Old 2/21/14, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
So you don't have the ghost cam file. Big deal as it's more of a cruise night novelty that is defunct as soon as you touch the throttle. What about the rest of the tune ? how is the drivability ? power ? throttle response ?

Might be a good idea to do more research before your purchase next time.
Old 2/21/14, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am guessing that you went with the free tunes for life program? If so get the mods and work that you want completed and then submit a new questionaire.

FWIW, I don't use Bama anymore due to their inability to get my tune correct after 3 tries. Your luck with them may be different.
Old 2/21/14, 09:44 AM

Black fire, I specifically requested the ghost cam file. I know its not a "daily driver tune" or a big performance enhancement but it is what I wanted. I detailed that in the questionnaire that was sent to me to build my "custom tune." What I got was a copy of my request and a tuner. No contact from them that they wouldn't do it without a cat delete even though they had all my contact info.

You say so what but I say, that's what I wanted and did not get. I did the research and no where does it say you have to do x, y and z before they will actually send you the tune. I know it's a sound thing.......isn't that why we change mufflers? I would have got the tuner with the cams and had more fun. The ghost cam sound was to toy with my GM loving buddies who still can't seem to pass my factory Mustang.......
Old 2/21/14, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops. Double post. My apologies.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 2/21/14 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2/21/14, 10:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know the ghost cam tune would destroy your stock cats right?
you would rather have AM send you a tune knowing it would destroy your stock cats?
(and of course blame them later when your cats are shot)
I don't understand the massive disappointment here.

Being sad about a fake cam sound is pretty trivial.
AM tunes have been great for lots of people including me and their customer service is awesome.
You act like they stole from you.

Originally Posted by CiniZter
lots of AM unsatisfiled customers turning up lately. Whats happening. is it just the BAMA tune or the whole network is failing. Sad to see this happen.
Where? got any links?

Last edited by fdjizm; 2/21/14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 2/21/14, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

There have been a lot of complaints with Bama over the last few months but A.M. has or is in the process of turning things around from what I've seen on here but to be honest the others are right it seems like you didn't do your homework and I would say this is not Bama's fault. A Ghost cam tune with your cats installed will destroy them. I understand when you say they knew what you wanted on the sheet but how are they suppose to know that if they can't give you the Ghost cam tune that you don't want the tuner or tunes?
Old 2/21/14, 10:28 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I am guessing that you went with the free tunes for life program? If so get the mods and work that you want completed and then submit a new questionaire.
---
^ This. Bama will send you new tunes (for $0 free) every time you change a mod, that's a pretty good deal. True, maybe they should have contacted you first, but they were probably try to get you a tuner, while at the same time save you from damage to your OEM exhaust. There are two AM reps on the forum, Dan & Shane. Look them up, they will help resolve any thing you need with this issue.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 2/21/14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 2/21/14, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Did the OP ask AM/Bama about the ghost tune before ordering? If not, then I place the blame on him for not doing his research. Should AM/Bama have mentioned that when sending the tune? Yes, but it would've been after purchase.

Last edited by wheelman; 2/21/14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 2/21/14, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
You know the ghost cam tune would destroy your stock cats right? you would rather have AM send you a tune knowing it would destroy your stock cats? (and of course blame them later when your cats are shot) I don't understand the massive disappointment here. Being sad about a fake cam sound is pretty trivial. AM tunes have been great for lots of people including me and their customer service is awesome. You act like they stole from you. Where? got any links?
What's there to not understand? He requested something, they took his money and sent him something that wasn't what he asked for. I don't even have a coyote motor car, and I knew that the vendors won't do the ghost cam tunes anymore, unless you have the cat deletes, but still I would expect the company to give him a call and say "hey bud, you'll need to have cat deleted for the ghost can tune...did you still want to proceed with your order? Or did you forget to mention you are already running cat deletes? We offer free tune upgrades so we can add that aspect to the tune later, or maybe you'd like to purchase an O/R X-pipe at this time too?" That's not very hard to do. And obviously AM and Bama just aren't getting it.

I've stayed quiet on these AM threads but I would never purchase anything from AM. Nothing has changed. I remember when they first started advertising in the big Mustang magazines. I was in high school and was looking for a set of the black housing headlights for my '00 V6. My dad, who was active LEO at the time, wouldn't let me order the clear corner ones because they were "illegal." He called up AM, since they were the only ones with a website at the time, and the guy on the phone was a complete a$$ to him. All he asked was if the lights were DOT compliant and whoever the CS rep was told him "it doesn't matter, no one is going to stop you with these lights, so did you want them or not." My dad hung up on him. Obviously that person may not even work at AM anymore since that was like 6-7 years ago, but it soured my view of AM. And these endless threads continue to push me to other sources, like Late Model Resto. That's just my unrelated $.02, but to the OP, I get it.

Last edited by laserred38; 2/21/14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2/21/14, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
Where? got any links?
I have nothing against AM, i m good supporter but lately saw threads popping up with bad review... concerned me to see such a top notch customer oriented firm loosing its edge. have come across several companies that become complacent about customer service when they reach good sucess..i ddnt want AM to go that route..
Old 2/21/14, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they are really busy, or their processes are under refinement. I have heard both good and bad about BamaTunes. Like with any company that size, its hit and sometimes a miss.

-Matt
Old 2/21/14, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd72
Black fire, I specifically requested the ghost cam file. I know its not a "daily driver tune" or a big performance enhancement but it is what I wanted. I detailed that in the questionnaire that was sent to me to build my "custom tune." What I got was a copy of my request and a tuner. No contact from them that they wouldn't do it without a cat delete even though they had all my contact info.

You say so what but I say, that's what I wanted and did not get. I did the research and no where does it say you have to do x, y and z before they will actually send you the tune. I know it's a sound thing.......isn't that why we change mufflers? I would have got the tuner with the cams and had more fun. The ghost cam sound was to toy with my GM loving buddies who still can't seem to pass my factory Mustang.......

Research the message boards, I have read several threads on this and other forums that clearly state the ghost cam tunes are not compatible with stock cats. I agree that you should have been informed by them about this regarding your specific request. But there is no information on the AM site that lists anything about the cam tunes. They advertise the street/performance/race tunes as the basic package and with tunes for life you can get updates for additional mods at no cost (this would include the GC).
As stated I feel this is a gimmick but many do like it. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a cammed car but with that sound comes a temperament and rawness that a tune just can't replicate.

Last edited by Black Fire; 2/21/14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2/21/14, 12:35 PM

Well first off I'll say I have nothing against anyone's opinion on here. I had a poor experience with BAMA that's all. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I think the big picture was missed with my original post. In disappointed because I did not get what I asked for. The fact is I requested the tune and never got it. No explanation why, no contact prior to walk me through why, no paper in the box explaining why......

I installed the program today that I was sent and it wasn't what I expected. It took my call to them to find out why. No research I did prior to requesting the tune said anything about damaging the cats. If BAMA explained this to me PRIOR to me installing or even being shipped a substitution for my request, I wouldn't be disappointed. So again......it falls on customer service. If you wanted 19" wheels and they just shipped you 17" rims, with no explanation, because they can't give you what you wanted.......would you be happy with it?

All I'm saying. They didn't go the extra step in explaining my order and their inability to give me what I asked for. I never said they stole from me. I said they didn't deliver what was ordered without justification.
Old 2/21/14, 12:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
I have nothing against AM, i m good supporter but lately saw threads popping up with bad review... concerned me to see such a top notch customer oriented firm loosing its edge. have come across several companies that become complacent about customer service when they reach good sucess..i ddnt want AM to go that route..
Links? I don't see "tons of threads" there is like one other on here...
I hate when people say "omg have you heard the tons of.." and it's 3 people or something.
Old 2/21/14, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Well I'm sure it would have also been AM's fault also if they would have sent the ghost cam tune and destroyed the cats.......

You should thank them for saving you some money and damage to your car

honestly I think the whole "ghost cam" thing is very ricer
Old 2/21/14, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
honestly I think the whole "ghost cam" thing is very ricer
This.
Old 2/21/14, 01:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
What the hell is a ghost cam? Just makes it sound like a very aggressive cam? Does it actually change anything performance wise?

Sounds ridiculous...
Old 2/21/14, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
Well I'm sure it would have also been AM's fault also if they would have sent the ghost cam tune and destroyed the cats....... You should thank them for saving you some money and damage to your car honestly I think the whole "ghost cam" thing is very ricer
You guys miss the point. It's what he requested on his order. He wasn't aware of the requirement to run cat deletes with the GC tune. When you take someone's money for something and you can't fulfill their request, pick up the godd*mn phone and tell the customer before you ship them something other than what they ask for!!!

AM could have gotten more money out of this guy by calling him and saying "would you like an offroad mid pipe with your GC tune, or are you already running cat deletes?" Then said customer says "oh, I didn't know it was required! Maybe I do want an offroad mid-pipe then, thanks for the heads up! AM and Bama are the best! Instead, we get this."

Anyone who spends any amount of time on this site and other Mustang forums will find dozens of people who spell out this same story with AM and Bama.

Quick Reply: BAMA 5.0 tune disappointment