5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Anyone tuned for ethanol (E-85)?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/14, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tuned for ethanol (E-85)?

Did a search and it came back with little results.
Wanted to know any upgrades needed. Seems that others say nothing but a tune.

Second, who tunes for the e-85. Doesn't seem to be a popular option for some of the tuner companies.

Lastly, is it worth it. Cost vs Gains? I know the 20% less energy per gallon of e-85 but what about long term issues, corrosion, engine damage etc?? Any proven results with basic mods other than running a 91 or 93 tune?
Old 3/14/14, 04:49 AM

Gains are there, but try are marginal..I saw anywhere from 4-10 whp/tq gains throught the curve making the switch.. Car feels a good bit more tourqey when on the corn. Though at times I do find it annoying going out of the way to get it sometimes, but I save it for usually a span when I know the car is gonna have a busy stretch.

I would add 47lb injectors just to be safe because the cars gonna want more fuel.. And if u do go the e85 route just go back very few weeks to a regular tank of gas to lubricate the fuel lines..
Old 3/14/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fustang5.0
Gains are there, but try are marginal..I saw anywhere from 4-10 whp/tq gains throught the curve making the switch.. Car feels a good bit more tourqey when on the corn. Though at times I do find it annoying going out of the way to get it sometimes, but I save it for usually a span when I know the car is gonna have a busy stretch.

I would add 47lb injectors just to be safe because the cars gonna want more fuel.. And if u do go the e85 route just go back very few weeks to a regular tank of gas to lubricate the fuel lines..

Who did your tune. Looks like AED, VMP, and Lund are the only ones that I can find doing e-mail tunes for e85. Looks like VMP is offering the tune and 47lb injectors for 400. $400 for 10 or more increase to the rear. Not the best but not bad..

Here in OKC we have access to more e85 than 93, so it shouldn't be to much of a supply issue locally.
Do you have to drain your tank prior to switching to another tune or can you just run it near dry?
Old 3/14/14, 02:41 PM

power by the hour who uses one of Lunds guys to dyno tune, Ken Bjones. i needed a retune when i had my cobra jet manifold put on, so it didnt cost me any extra than a normal dyno retune would have.

You can pump the fuel out, but they said if you run it down to 5-10miles to Eand fill up you''be fine. If its in ample supply where you are, I'd be running it all the time.